Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

+1
    Pump wedge removed and did some maintenance on the ski this weekend. Had a loose battery post on the AGM battery. Put in Deans clutch as top end was falling off.
    Been very choppy this summer. Putting ski back in this weekend.

Robert

Any more info on the big bore ski?

Lake Lion
    +1
    And how did you get a Dean clutch? I have 4 on order.

+1
    Hey pal....my Dean's Team clutch took a crap....
    There are several people in my area that have also broken these clutches....

Just an FYI

Lake Lion
    +1
    I thought they were the Be all, End all. Oh well, I'm going turbo anyway.

I still have the lumajet v3 and it hasn't failed. Even tho I only have 30 hours on it and decided to just go turbo lol

+1
    I stole Deans clutch from my big bore motor. Need to order a replacement. Big bore motor sitting waiting its turn to get worked on. Too many projects.

The clutch was replaced and the O2 sensor also. Did not get to record data this will have to wait until next summer. The ski pegs the rpm on the dash and felt great. Ski set a TPS and APS code right before I took it out of the water and the idle was choppy.

This will have to wait to be fixed.

Robert

+1
    Big bore update:

Crank, rods and pistons are out. It was actually easy to take apart. The crank still has the flywheel and intermediate shaft attached. I left these on in case the crank was good saves some effort and they can balance motor with these on.

So this motor had ring seal issues. Upon taking the oil pan off there was lots of metal in the pan. This was a big surprise.

The rings were installed properly. The second ring has a oil scraper that must be installed to scrap oil down the cylinder. The cross hatch is very light but present. Not sure if it is the correct angle. CP calls for a certain pattern on the ductile iron sleeve.

Despite all the metal the crank was fine. The bearings had light debris pass through them. Lucky deal hear. The metal was from the builder clearance the bottom of the sleeves. They just did not wash and clean the block well afterwards.

The rings, rods and main bearings will be replaced. My machine shop will check all clearance and re-hone.

Crappy workmanship in the short block. Disappointing from a big name builder.

More to come.

Robert

Been around a while and I can tell you in my experience the ski world is no different than the car world.Always a hit or miss and you really ALWAYS have to check others work.Shouldnt be that way but it is what it is.A few suggestions while you have things apart would be to change the compression ratio and move to a bigger wheel.The reason I say this is because these skis respond way better to a higher compression than they do to big bore and all of the wheels for the stock housing 19lb through 26lbs make roughly the same boost about 27lb tops by 10,000rpm and no more.The cams you have in engine are also not much better than RC-2 or NA cams everyone runs.Just thought I would throw those pointers out there so hopefully your efforts can end up in a ski that performs better and not identical to your other one.

+1
    I have two 2016 SVHO skis. The big bore motor has more compression, RC-3 cams and standalone fuel management. Motec currently but I have Fueltech for it. The wheel is 23 for now. This will be a Q-16 fuel only ski. This thread has posts for both builds. I should separate out the big bore build. My Stage 3 plus skis is all done and I hit 95 with it last year on pump gas.

Robert

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread Information