Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    +1
    Greatest liability issue faced by any additional fuel tanks is USCG approval to reduce explosions, injury or death. Insurance companies will not support a policy that would add anything outside of legal qualifications, especially when due to safety. The legal registered owner would be liable if they loaned the craft to a friend or family member and a mishap occurred. This would come out of the accident investigation as the probable cause of an explosion or any other contributing factors especially if straps or hoses became loose resulting in the tank going overboard if external and causing a fuel spill, or on the interior anchored areas of the PWC. Legality is actually exceptionally important because of the problems occurred with litigation involving boating accidents. I would make sure that a professional installer who is qualified does the installation and records are kept. Good luck!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by tchies View Post
    ... I'm also adding a shrader valve to the tank - so I can pressurize it - - that way I can transfer fuel to another ski if needed. Tim
    What would you be using to add pressure into the aux fuel tank?

+1
    I have a small plastic bicycle air pump - just need a few pumps to start the flow - if needed.

I wonder how the all boats with a portable gas tank siting on the bottom of the boat ever survive? hmmm....

+1
    Hey all! I am looking to add this 6 gallon tank to the front of my RXTX300. I am wondering if anyone has more info on how they are venting the secondary tank while inline with the primary tank. Are you venting to the OEM gas cap somehow or a different way?

Also, instead of tapping directly into the tank, would it be better to tap into the filler hose close to the tank? If one wanted to revert back to factory, it would be easier to buy a replacement filler hose than buying a new tank?

Pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

+1
    You need to plug the oem cap vent, otherwise it won't pull fuel from the aux tank. I believe the aux tank has a vent built into it's own cap, but I added a secondary vent using an old automobile PCV valve that I had laying around.

I thought of going into the filler hose as well, but it actually has a secondary hose inside the main rubber hose that you see when you look inside the ski. I ended up tapping into the top cap of the fuel pump assembly. It wouldn't be cheap, but I could replace that if I wanted to go back to stock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cap.jpg 
Views:	628 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	433106   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vent.jpg 
Views:	627 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	433107   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	filler.jpg 
Views:	633 
Size:	147.9 KB 
ID:	433108  

6. +1 by:

+1
    Wow thanks for that great info.

Another quick question. Where did you vent the external tank to? Also, have you had any issues with heat (expansion)?

+1
    I just ran that vent hose up behind the plastic engine compartment cover. My thinking with the PCV valve (basically a check-valve) is that I won't dump fuel if I flip the ski. I tested and still allows air to vent. Plus there's a vent on the aux tank cap, so that extra vent probably isn't needed.. but I tend to over think things . I haven't had any heat expansion of the tank.

https://www.autozone.com/external-en...lve/918545_0_0

Name:	20180510_143856.jpg 
Views:	632 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	433112   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180510_143921.jpg 
Views:	631 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	433113  

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by pete1665 View Post
    ... the PCV valve (basically a check-valve) is that I won't dump fuel if I flip the ski.

I tested and still allows air to vent. ...
    Did you test whether the valve will not leak fuel if/when the valve is inverted and there is liquid fuel pressure against the valve?

Which way does this PVC valve allow air to vent? Into the hull from the main tank, or from the hull into the main fuel tank?

It is common for gasoline to build vapor pressure, especially when warmed in the sun. Are you saying your modified main fuel tank no longer does so?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Did you test whether the valve will not leak fuel if/when the valve is inverted and there is liquid fuel pressure against the valve?

Which way does this PVC valve allow air to vent? Into the hull from the main tank, or from the hull into the main fuel tank?

It is common for gasoline to build vapor pressure, especially when warmed in the sun. Are you saying your modified main fuel tank no longer does so?
    I think I explained my setup a little backwards...

It's not 'venting'. The PCV valve allows air to be drawn into the aux tank as the fuel level lowers. It also prevents fuel from spilling out (yes I tested. It's just a slow drip) The plug on the factory filler cap causes fuel to be sucked from the aux tank into the main tank.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pete1665 View Post
    I just ran that vent hose up behind the plastic engine compartment cover. My thinking with the PCV valve (basically a check-valve) is that I won't dump fuel if I flip the ski. I tested and still allows air to vent. Plus there's a vent on the aux tank cap, so that extra vent probably isn't needed.. but I tend to over think things :). I haven't had any heat expansion of the tank.

https://www.autozone.com/external-en...lve/918545_0_0

Thanks again for the info!

I'm thinking of using something like this along with sealant to tap into the aux tank and possibly the OEM tank cap if it fits. This is made for aircraft fuel tanks so I'm thinking it will be adequate. Just thought I'd share:

https://www.sonexaircraft.com/eshop/...oduct_id=16743

Name:	oops fitting.jpeg 
Views:	508 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	433132  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information