Question 2017 EX Deluxe forward storage improvement

Hey All,

New to the ski world here, just trying to see if someone has done it before me on the new 2017 EX Deluxe.

The front storage is silly on the EX series if you've seen the pictures below. I went for economy as well as a first time buyer wanted to stick to the EX series, completely satisfied with my purchase.

But....

I think the front storage could be improved. Bypassing all the "shoulda gone VX Series" I think the front hull could be entirely used as desired. Once you remove the 'basket' that is held in place by panel poppers, you see that the hull has a large open area with nothing in it that I think could be 'soft sealed' (aka not water tight still) from the engine compartment to hold more things n stuff.

I'm hoping for:

1. Someone did a DIY project or product already that I can follow behind
    2. Thoughts on a good enhancement that in no way damages or encumbers the PWC, yet provides some extra storage. I wouldn't be putting gobs of stuff in here, but a larger space to hold my screw anchor or a 6 pack (non-alcoholic of course ) would be awesome.
    3. Good reasons why this is a super crappy idea to modify the stock system if there's any reason within normal use.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170626_183615.jpg 
Views:	568 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	415584   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170626_183551.jpg 
Views:	523 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	415583  

Quote Originally Posted by number0ne View Post
    Hey All,

New to the ski world here, just trying to see if someone has done it before me on the new 2017 EX Deluxe.

The front storage is silly on the EX series if you've seen the pictures below. I went for economy as well as a first time buyer wanted to stick to the EX series, completely satisfied with my purchase.

But....

I think the front storage could be improved. Bypassing all the "shoulda gone VX Series" I think the front hull could be entirely used as desired. Once you remove the 'basket' that is held in place by panel poppers, you see that the hull has a large open area with nothing in it that I think could be 'soft sealed' (aka not water tight still) from the engine compartment to hold more things n stuff.

I'm hoping for:

1. Someone did a DIY project or product already that I can follow behind
    2. Thoughts on a good enhancement that in no way damages or encumbers the PWC, yet provides some extra storage. I wouldn't be putting gobs of stuff in here, but a larger space to hold my screw anchor or a 6 pack (non-alcoholic of course ) would be awesome.
    3. Good reasons why this is a super crappy idea to modify the stock system if there's any reason within normal use.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Hi there, you may have already solved your issue but I just purchased two 2018s. I’ve ordered the Yamaha 20 liter dry storage bag that fits in the front storage in place of the silly little tray. My question to you is how did you get that tray off the ski. I see that there are 6 white “tabs”, did you just pull those off? If so, with what? Thanks!
    Last edited by K447; 04-02-2020 at 08:37 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Geonoc View Post
    Hi there, you may have already solved your issue but I just purchased two 2018s. I’ve ordered the Yamaha 20 liter dry storage bag that fits in the front storage in place of the silly little tray. My question to you is how did you get that tray off the ski. I see that there are 6 white “tabs”, did you just pull those off? If so, with what? Thanks!
    They are plastic clips. Push in the center and it will click in (you dont have to push it through) then you can remove the clips without damaging them at all. It you ever want to put them back in, push the center of the clip from the bottom until it extends past the main clip, slide it in and push it flush.
    The tray will stay in without the clips. it has a little clip at the top that holds it in place. I removed all the white clips and use the bottom storage, but also keep the try in place for quick access to small things on top. The tray is not water tight and you will not lose and waterproofing doing this. (water is coming in anyways).

+1
    Also, never put a 6 pack in the front, unless you like stuff that has been shook to oblivion. A sixer of 12oz cans with ice fits in the giant glove box.

Thread Information