Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Today I bypassed The enhanced steering system by connecting the TPS directly to the Emm.
    It made no difference. The engine will die if it drops below 3000 rpm. It idles great at 1200 rpm ad will run from above 3000 to 6800 rpm.
    Still stumped.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewk View Post
    ... The engine will die if it drops below 3000 rpm. It idles great at 1200 rpm ad will run from above 3000 to 6800 rpm.
    Still stumped.
    My suspicion is that the Ficht EMM’s 45 volt DC power section has a problem, possibly weak injector voltage when it switches from cranking/starting/idle modes to the normal idle/low RPM running mode.

Find a place to tap into the white/red wire that powers all the fuel injectors. The same white/red wire powers all the injectors. Do not unplug any of the fuel injectors. White/red wire also loops through the diagnostic 4-pin connector near the EMM.

Just slide a sewing pin or thin needle alongside the wire and under the wire seal until it contacts the metal pin inside the connector. Red meter probe to white/red wire, black meter probe to engine ground (bare metal).

When cranking (but engine not yet running) the injector voltage should be a little more than 20 volts. As soon as the engine starts the voltage is suppose to jump up to nearly 45 volts. I suspect your EMM is not doing this. When you hold the engine above 3000 I suspect the EMM is able to make enough voltage to keep the injectors firing, but even then the voltage may not be up to the expected 45 volts.

Weak injector voltage typically requires EMM repair. Especially since your engine is able to fire up and start. itself, which indicate the stator and flywheel magnets are probably not the problem cause. These Ficht EMM have several known internal weaknesses, which can typically be repaired.

For Ficht EMM Repairs, contact Lakeside Tech

Another possibility is the TPS throttle sensor is failing and has a ‘dead spot’ as the throttle lever is squeezed. This can be tricky to diagnose without swapping in a known good TPS.

Just got back from the boat ramp.
    My injector voltages are 39 volts at idle.
    Above 3000 rpm steady 45 volts.
    When it stalled below 3000 rpm the voltage read 3.7 volts.
    Is it the computer then?
    I had Harris at Ficht emm repair fix the emm and I have sent it back a second time and he checked it.
    I tried calling him today but his voicemail box is full.

+1
    It could be something with the stator, but I doubt it. You either need another EMM to test with or send your EMM to someone who can test it.

The small harness plugs that connect to the EMM are seated fully? No corroded or damaged pins?

The ski has a brand new stator in it. The plugs are clean and seated and no damaged pins.
    Anyone want to test an emm? Isn't the emm a matched set with the injectors?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    The ski has a brand new stator in it. The plugs are clean and seated and no damaged pins.
    For testing you can run with mismatched injectors and EMM. Just don’t be going for long fast rides across the entire lake.

It is now possible to program an EMM to work with ‘mismatched’ injectors. The bar code on each injector is scanned and the injector data is written into the EMM.

+1
    Just got back from the boat ramp.
    My injector voltages are 39 volts at idle.
    Above 3000 rpm steady 45 volts.
    When it stalled below 3000 rpm the voltage read 3.7 volts.
    Is it the computer then?
    I had Harris at Ficht emm repair fix the emm and I have sent it back a second time and he checked it.
    I tried calling him today but his voicemail box is full.

It could be a cable from the stator cutted i’have had tha same problem 3 years ago.
    the sky was able of running almost for 20/30’ then in the middle of
    nowhere suddently stopped it involved several attempts....to found out.
    then finally found one of the (i think yellow ) wires cutted in the meddle of the rubber seal trough wich the cables goes out from the stator carter.

+1
    I'd suggest you send it to Lakeside Tech. HiPeRcO can test it and if it requires repair, do so to minimize shipping expense and down time.

http://lakesidetech.biz

Well I am on Holidays with no ski. I called Harries at Ficht emm repair. He repaired the computer and I will send it back to him for a recheck. He puts it into his own ski and runs it to ensure in runs through the complete rpm range.
    After i get it back I will continue working on the problem. I want to thank everyone for their help to date.

I had the emm tested by Harris at emm repair. He said he fixed something couldn't tell me what mind you.
    He sent it back with his guarantee that it was tested on his ski and that it worked.
    I put it back in my ski and took it too the boat ramp this morning.
    The dead spot above 1200 rpm until 3000 rpm still persists.
    I don't have an overheat light in the dash but I am worried that the cylinder heads are running hot.
    They are so hot at idle that I can't hold my finger on it for 10 seconds.
    With the coolant water traveling through the cylinder heads should they be fairly cool?
    I am worried that I did not assemble the thermostat and pop off valve in the housing correctly.
    Maybe the engine is running to hot and the computer acts on it kills the engine between 1250 rpm and 3000 rpm?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information