+1

2016 Spark - 'Reading Key' Error?

So, finally getting around to getting the spark ready to go for the year. Hooked up the battery after having it out for winter storage and when I put the key on it beeps once every few seconds or so and the display says "Reading Key" and doesn't get any further. Tried disconnecting and reconnecting the DESS post connector and main body connectors with no luck. Also unhooked and reconnected the battery. Any suggestions?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I seem to recall the spark needing a jab on the start button somewhere along the way to power up the ecu

I assume you've resolved this by now

+1
    Nope, no luck yet unfortunately. When I was searching for the error I found someone else that had the same issue recently over on Seadoospark.org. Same symptoms too, recently reinstalled battery after sitting all winter.

I did try as you suggested when I was trying to troubleshoot it, press the start button for a second to wake up the computer and then plug the key in with the same result. It seems as though it cannot read the key or maybe lost the programming. Might have to make a trip to the dealer.

Similar issue on seadoospark.org... http://www.seadoospark.org/forum/89-...key-issue.html
    Last edited by ThrottleOut; 06-23-2017 at 06:34 AM.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrottleOut View Post
    Nope, no luck yet unfortunately. When I was searching for the error I found someone else that had the same issue recently over on Seadoospark.org. Same symptoms too, recently reinstalled battery after sitting all winter.

I did try as you suggested when I was trying to troubleshoot it, press the start button for a second to wake up the computer and then plug the key in with the same result. It seems as though it cannot read the key or maybe lost the programming. Might have to make a trip to the dealer.

Similar issue on seadoospark.org... http://www.seadoospark.org/forum/89-...key-issue.html
    Sure sounds like it's lost its memory from being disconnected from power for a long time I certainly hope that doesn't become a problem

Please update us with your found solution

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    Sure sounds like it's lost its memory from being disconnected from power for a long time I certainly hope that doesn't become a problem

Please update us with your found solution
    I agree, that is my thought too. I will try the 'learner' key as well this weekend and see if that works. I hope it doesn't become a reoccurring problem, that would be quite a nuissance as I always pull the batteries out of my machines for winter storage. Had I known I would be an issue I would have left it with the dealer when I picked up the GTR. Oh well, hindsight is only 20/20.

I will post up what the dealer says. I may call them today just to see if they have any suggestions or have seen anything similar.

EDIT: As an update, it appears as though the regular key for my spark has failed. The learner key is recognized just fine and it starts the ski right up. Go back to the regular key and it just sits saying 'READING KEY'. So for the heck of it I tried the spark keys on the GTR and got the same result. The 'bad' key from the spark reads 'READING KEY' on the GTR and the Learning key (which works fine) says 'WRONG KEY'. When I try the GTR keys on the spark I get the same result, regular spark key says 'READING KEY', learning spark key says 'LEARNING KEY' and the GTR keys both say 'WRONG KEY'. So I'd say it seems like my one key has failed. Time for a trip to the dealer!
    Last edited by ThrottleOut; 06-26-2017 at 06:44 AM.

+1
    So, called the dealer and they said bring it in and we will take care of it for you. Took it up yesterday and brought the GTR keys. They gave me a new key under warranty and programmed the GTR keys to the spark. They said to bring back the GTR and they would program the spark keys to it too so I can use either set of keys on either machine. I also grabbed a spare since I figure it would be good for either machine. It didn't sound like it was very common, their tech said he'd never seen one of the newer RF keys fail till mine.

Got it back out on the water for ~1 hour, man the spark is a riot to ride. Also got to play on a buddy's GTX 300 while he beat on the spark. Good times!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrottleOut View Post
    So, finally getting around to getting the spark ready to go for the year. Hooked up the battery after having it out for winter storage and when I put the key on it beeps once every few seconds or so and the display says "Reading Key" and doesn't get any further. Tried disconnecting and reconnecting the DESS post connector and main body connectors with no luck. Also unhooked and reconnected the battery. Any suggestions?
    We have just had the same issue through the workshops in the UK it was a corroded CAN wire pin in the IBR module this was confusing the system and generating the reading key fault. The spark we had in does not have a security key just the magnet.

Hope this helps someone else.

8. +1 by:

Im having same problem on myy RXT 260 2012, one long beep every few seconds but the jet ski starts. When is on Im having the message, I tried with other lcd gauge and works perfectly. Someone know where can I get a used one in florida? I suppose is the gauge. If someone knows something.

Thread Information