Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Just purchased a 90HP 3UP

Ok, I am new to this, and I just purchased a 90HP 3UP. Lime Green (that is my 11-year old favorite color)... Got the IBR and Conv package. SO I am wondering.. what else (besides towing him around.. and just general fun) do I need to do? I am reading a alot about people doing tunes and updates.. but not sure what all that means. I did purchase a RAM holder to mount my phone (have tested my watertight bag already) so that I can mount my Navicon GPS app and will be mounting a BlueTooth Speaker. Not sure what else to do if anything. Was thinking about doing a wrap, but $250 - $450 is a lot of money for stickers that can be spent on something that can be spent on better things.

Any suggestions?

Like in the Charlotte area..

Thanks.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome Aboard GH!

Best things you can do?

Make some friends that are experienced with your local riding area.

In the beginning having a buddy is must. It's best practice generally.

Boating skills all up to date?..know what side port is?

Have state required safety gear?

Life jackets comfortable and adjusted correctly?

Manage to find registration numbers that stick? ( hint-pay the price and buy the seadoo kit, almost everything else falls off)

You have a nice setup..don't have to do too much at the moment.

Seadoo often issues firmware updates for the latest skis that are drive by wire.

You'll want to check in now and then to see if any IBR updates are available.

Right now, only somebody with buds, and that means a dealer can do that update.

If you need to tinker ( and who doesn't) Pick up a candoopro and sniff around for a possible upgrade to your impeller and intake grate, depending on your specific needs ( towing something or high speeds)

last two things

water

sunscreen

oh yeah..i almost forgot. GET LIABILITY INSURANCE for the ski and a rider for your truck for "towing an owned trailer"

call you auto broker, likely they can hook you up.

most importantly...

make some good memories of spark summer 2017 with your son

+1
    Many good points in the post above

Donít bother with tuning and modifications at this point, drive it and have fun instead. If you are new to PWCís a 90hp Spark will be plenty powerful and fast for quite a while Did you get a green learning key as part of the convenient package? If so, it will limit acceleration and top speed so your son could try it out. Not sure what regulations you have there but at least he could sit in front of you and drive I guess? And if you do not have the learning key, touring mode will also limit acceleration even though the top speed will be the same. Sport mode will give you full performance and a light weight Spark is really fun then

Just take it easy in the beginning and ride safe, the engine is also supposed to be broken in when new so itís a good thing for you to learn as well during that period.

+1
    Congrats on the new ski and welcome.
    The above pretty much covers it all. I have a 14 and no issues or concerns with it, it's a great ski

+1
    Get out, ride it and see what you like and don't like about it. It's a fun ski to play around on!

Only recommendation I have is to get one of these and fill with the required safety items for your state. Storage space is limited in the spark and these will fit in behind the white knee-pad area. You can also get the Sea-doo one for around $20 if you prefer. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kwik-Tek-Ll-...1YpRh1&vxp=mtr

Thanks for all the tips and info.

I am 54, so I have owned a Bombardier (hoped I spelled it correctly) before back in 2001 I think. That is when I live back in Mo on Lake of the Ozarks. I have all the proper safety gear. I am still waiting on my papers (have the bill of sale, but waiting on the other paperwork) from the dealer, so as soon as I get that info I will be getting the number kit from SCSUnlimited.. I think they are $25 bucks there. I heard they are a good place?? No?? I did get the green learning key, but in our state you have to be 15 years old / pass a test. So he can't drive it. I am not sure if I would get fined if I let him sit in front and me drive. I would need to ask to be sure. Are there touring/sport modes on the model I have? What is the difference? Where would I check to see if there are any IBR updates? From the dealer? I did get the full coverage insurance already for the ski.. paid that for a year. Need to add that for the trailer. I am towing it with my prius-v.. yeah, I know.. a prius-v.. well, it works great. The ski only weighs 425lbs and the trailer 195lbs. Prius-V has no issues. That is one reason I wanted this ski. It is light and because I didn't have a truck/suv and I know a couple people that have pulled 2 ski's will smaller than what I have. So I went to u-haul.. they installed the hitch.. Plus I live less than 1/2 mile from the lake. So I could almost walk the ski to the water.

I will post a few pics of the hook up..

Yep....just get out and ride...have fun on it...it IS a blast for sure....I also like the weight of the Spark as well...I pull mine with a Miata hahaha...I bought the Triton Aluminum trailer due to it only weighs 170 lbs.

8. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by sparkrider2 View Post
    Thanks for all the tips and info.

I am 54, so I have owned a Bombardier (hoped I spelled it correctly) before back in 2001 I think. That is when I live back in Mo on Lake of the Ozarks. I have all the proper safety gear. I am still waiting on my papers (have the bill of sale, but waiting on the other paperwork) from the dealer, so as soon as I get that info I will be getting the number kit from SCSUnlimited.. I think they are $25 bucks there. I heard they are a good place?? No?? I did get the green learning key, but in our state you have to be 15 years old / pass a test. So he can't drive it. I am not sure if I would get fined if I let him sit in front and me drive. I would need to ask to be sure. Are there touring/sport modes on the model I have? What is the difference? Where would I check to see if there are any IBR updates? From the dealer? I did get the full coverage insurance already for the ski.. paid that for a year. Need to add that for the trailer. I am towing it with my prius-v.. yeah, I know.. a prius-v.. well, it works great. The ski only weighs 425lbs and the trailer 195lbs. Prius-V has no issues. That is one reason I wanted this ski. It is light and because I didn't have a truck/suv and I know a couple people that have pulled 2 ski's will smaller than what I have. So I went to u-haul.. they installed the hitch.. Plus I live less than 1/2 mile from the lake. So I could almost walk the ski to the water.

I will post a few pics of the hook up..
    i was a complete noob 3 years ago when I got my spark. Still a basic noob imo, but whatever. Here in Ohio kids can drive at 12 if they pass the test. My son passed with flying colors (test was a joke) and loves driving (14 now). He can't ride solo until 16 yrs old, at which point I'll have to buy another. Lol.

Im pretty sure if the lake cops see a kid driving you'll be in some shit. Don't risk it.

Get a tube! The 90hp spark will pull a single tube with ease. Possibly a bigger one but I have not tried it.

The only other upgrade i think is essential is an intake grate. 10x better hookup. Sponsons are worthwhile if you're riding double a lot and want better steering instead of acting a fool. You can always raise them for those "yeehaw" moments lol.

Have fun. I don't regret purchasing mine one bit, although I don't get to ride as much as I want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohiophil View Post
    i was a complete noob 3 years ago when I got my spark. Still a basic noob imo, but whatever. Here in Ohio kids can drive at 12 if they pass the test. My son passed with flying colors (test was a joke) and loves driving (14 now). He can't ride solo until 16 yrs old, at which point I'll have to buy another. Lol.

Im pretty sure if the lake cops see a kid driving you'll be in some shit. Don't risk it.

Get a tube! The 90hp spark will pull a single tube with ease. Possibly a bigger one but I have not tried it.

The only other upgrade i think is essential is an intake grate. 10x better hookup. Sponsons are worthwhile if you're riding double a lot and want better steering instead of acting a fool. You can always raise them for those "yeehaw" moments lol.

Have fun. I don't regret purchasing mine one bit, although I don't get to ride as much as I want to.

I do own a tube. It is a 2 person tube. I pulled him and his friend on it last weekend. My wife was the spotter. It was great. They had a blast. I am trying to put some mirrors on the spark now. They are the CIPA 11126 Handle Bar Grip Mount mirrors. They strap on with velcro. I think they will work.. not sure how good they will be, but shall see how they work. If I don't like then, no big deal I can just unstrap them and send them back. I think they might be ok. They might not look the "BEST" but, maybe they will be ok for tubing.. I hope so.

I am not going to risk him driving. I read and it says 15 years old, so he will just have to wait. No point in doing that.

What type of intake grate are you talking about? What make and model? Is it self install? What exactly are the Sponsons? I know they are to help keep the ski stable, but what role to they play other than that? I mean better steering would be good, but what do you mean by that.. do you mean more responsive? I haven't tried the sport mode yet, so I am anxious to see how much different that is over the touring mode. How do you RAISE the sponsons?

By the way, here is the pic of the hook up with the Prius-V.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170610_100548_1498227547481.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	161.1 KB 
ID:	415392  

+1
    All 90hp has touring and sport mode, it always starts in touring mode, to activate sport mode you press and hold the red mode key by the display, after the two first beeps you let go and press it once again and a final beep confirms. You will also see it in the display.

Learning key, limited acceleraton and top speed.
    Touring mode, limited acceleration full top speed.
    Sport mode full acceleration and full top speed.

Sponsons are the small fins on each side of the hull, in the rear. You will understand their function by looking at them. They make the ski less prone to sliding when turning. Stock sponsons are non adjustable, aftermarket ones normally have several bolt holes so you can adjust how deep they go in the water and by that adjust how much traction you get in the turns.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information