Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterDR View Post
    MSRP on a VX delux is 10,300. On a VX Cruiser HO is 11,200. And frankly, a better comparison would be a VX Cruiser at 10,600.

You would be better off selling the VX, taking a loss and buying an HO for the cost of what it would take to match the performance of the HO with a TR1.
    Not trying to turn a tr-1 into a 1.8 just wondered if you could give it a bit more pep? A bufpddy has one.

if I was buying it would be an 1800, VX cruiser HO if it came with trim, or fx ho.

I'm also interested on modding the TR1. I just found out that the private lake my wife and I are looking at houses on has a 1500 cc and 130 hp limit on waverunners. Obviously, I can't have the 1.8 on this lake, but I could mod a TR1.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcyz8788 View Post
    I'm also interested on modding the TR1. I just found out that the private lake my wife and I are looking at houses on has a 1500 cc and 130 hp limit on waverunners. Obviously, I can't have the 1.8 on this lake, but I could mod a TR1.
    Interesting limit as only Yamaha really produce a motor more than 1500cc (seadoo 300 is 1600cc?)

130hp but is interesting too.... cause a ski has 155 on the side does not mean it’s makong 155 hp far from it!

Tr-1 is a great choice and will fit in the criteria

There has been quite a few advancements since this thread was originally posted.

The TR-1 is also in the Yamaha YXZ 1000R side by side and the aftermarket performance parts for that version of the TR-1 are seemingly endless, however not all the performance parts will crossover bc they are configured differently. The YXZ has a separate cooling system like a car, so the bigger stuff like turbo kits won't bolt right on without heavy mods to the ski motor. I have used a DynoJet Power Commander on my TR-1 ski with stock impeller and have seen 1-2mph increases 3, maybe 4mph depending on conditions but 1-2 mph is consistent. The Power Commander is $349 vs the Riva Map Tuner at $1050.\

TR-1 Serious Mods - The weak link in the TR-1 was always the rods, I have seen MANY of them bend, or go through the block or if I was lucky through the bottom of the oil pan bc we own rental skis. Carrillo now makes connecting rods and up to a 12.5:1 piston set for the TR-1

I have a low hour TR-1 thats sitting as a replacement if one of the rentals goes down, I can swap it out and go... I have been debating on doing the 12.5:1 Carrillo Piston and Rods, using the Riva 148mm wear ring, 148mm Solas Impeller and the Map Tuner.

Theres only so much you can do with the power commander and the support isn't there to build a custom tune for this kind of build, however....Riva has someone in-house that you can send your build specs to and can build a custom tune for your application on the TR-1....

Why the TR-1 and not the 1.8L? - I have endless parts and why not? I'm using a 2016 V1 hull, the same as the 2010-2015 hull, just lighter and not as ugly as the newer models. I was going to swap it into a GP1300R hull, but way too much work changing the motor out locations.

The mental debate continues if I will do the build over the 2021 winter or not...

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ocsteveo2003 View Post
    ..l The weak link in the TR-1 was always the rods, I have seen MANY of them bend, or go through the block or if I was lucky through the bottom of the oil pan bc we own rental skis.

if one of the rentals goes down

I'm using a 2016 V1 hull, the same as the 2010-2015 hull, just lighter and not as ugly as the newer models ...
    What can you tell us from your rental fleet experience, in regards to common failures, what aspects are reliable and perhaps what things need to be modified for better reliability?

Do you operate the rental engines with a stock tune or a de-tuned configuration?

Are completely stock tuned TR-1 engines failing?

Are you now running some of the newer and larger VX hulls, which first appeared new in 2015?

+1
    If anyone needs a turbo kit for the TR-1 in an EX, let me know. I can make one. I have a 2017 EX here, but im leaving mine stock. Wouldnt be hard to fab one up for it though.

+1
    Had forgotten about this thread…… it was 4 years ago… well I have a buddy with a. Modded ex tr-1 stage 1 ish he bought it modded and another who has modded it and last weekend I rode a 2006 fx 160 I think and I was amazed at how similar it felt to an ex stage 1 to ride the sound the ride etc the view totally different to the 1800cc fx in fact sooo quiet too yes the top end on the fx was more but throwing it about I was amazed quite a few options for mods now

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information