Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

+1

GP 1800 First Oil Change

I have a 2017 GP1800 and I am right around 10 hours. Time for me to do the first service. What do I need in terms of tools/ extractors to do this? Also where is the best place to buy the filter, do they sell them on GH? What oil is everyone running? Is that riva last drop kit still around and is it recommended or is there something else?

Is there a how to on here with all thing info. Cant seem to find exactly what is needed.

Thanks,

Kyle

Following. Curious if you need to have this done in your dealership as well for warranty purposes or is that just nonsense?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabagool984 View Post
    Following. Curious if you need to have this done in your dealership as well for warranty purposes or is that just nonsense?
    I got a card in the mail from YES stating each time a service is done the card needs to be filled out. If you write it in yourself as well as have receipts you would be more than covered. It is illegal for them to void warranty for doing the service yourself, no different than having a mechanic that isn't the dealer do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
    I got a card in the mail from YES stating each time a service is done the card needs to be filled out. If you write it in yourself as well as have receipts you would be more than covered. It is illegal for them to void warranty for doing the service yourself, no different than having a mechanic that isn't the dealer do it.
    Good to know. Guess I'll just wait for my YES packet in the mail.

+1
    I did my 10 hour service myself. I always changed the oil in my F-12X, and the process is easier with the GP. You will need a oil extractor (suction device). Best to search Amazon. For the 10 hour, an oil filter is not called for, so I just changed the oil. Oil can be a hot topic, but I used Amsoil 10w40 marine (full synthetic). Many will also recommend Yamaha's oil. For the price, Mobil 1 in the 5 quart jug at Walmart is tough to beat. You are good with any appropriate weight oil, but I have a lube additive industry background, so take that as it is. After warm-up on the hose (read owners manual) of 5 minutes, shut the water and ski off and snake the suction tube down the dip stick. I was able to suck out 3 quarts of fairly clean looking oil. So, I put three quarts in and the level is at the high mark. Do not overfill. It is a very easy service, and one you do not need to pay the dealer to do. To document, I took pics with the ski warming up, the dash with hours, and the oil draining with the new oil waiting. I also have a receipt for the Amsoil. Lost of good info on this site - you can do it easily.
    Chris

6. +1 by:

+1
    Just like all the 1.8 engines, lower the tongue of the trailer and put a jack under the left rear of the trailer and lift it up. Have the ski nose down and tilted to its right. You should be able to get at least another 3/4 quart of oil out. Yes, save materials receipts and record the hours when done.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Erierunner View Post
    Just like all the 1.8 engines, lower the tongue of the trailer and put a jack under the left rear of the trailer and lift it up. Have the ski nose down and tilted to its right. You should be able to get at least another 3/4 quart of oil out. Yes, save materials receipts and record the hours when done.
    In addition to jacking up the ski, after you extracted all the oil you can, squeeze the throttle all the way in and hit the start button, let the engine crank a few times (don't worry it won't start) This will pull the remaining oil out of the filter/cooler. Extract the additional oil and repeat. Do this process 3-4 times. I was able to get out 4.5 quarts.

I have the Pela 650 extractor that I bought off amazon. Works great and comes with multiple size suction lines to fit various sized dip stick tubes. It's easy clean up after too.

-Ken

+1
    Thanks guys. Where is the best place to buy filters and oil?

+1
    Hp-1002 k and n oil filter. Honestly the best option to me. 10 bucks on amazon

12. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information