Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Yamaha engine data output

This topic har only briefly been discussed with no clear conclusion.
    Does anyone know what ports are available on a 2016 VXR for reading engine data. Do Yamaha use their command link (plus?). My goal is to get the ski connected to my GPS via NMEA 2000.

Are there any way of hooking it up to a NMEA2000 unit. I would even be willing to disconnect the instrument cluster and use those connectors if necessary.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    doubtful, NEMA is a serial communication message based protcol.

Why not check with the Candoo folks, perhaps they would have more insight as they manufacture GPS modules that send data to various PWC speedos as a direct replacement for the paddle wheel.

Now it might be possible to connect a protocol conversion device to the output of your paddle wheel to your gps serial input.

if you are looking for specific data, you might want to look at installing your own sensors..might be less problematic in the long run

The GPS speed I have in my Garmin, I was hoping to get the rpm, fuel flow, fuel level etc. I was looking at installing a flow meter on the fuel line, but not recommended on the skis due to the high pressure pump.

I really annoys me that Yamaha put NMEA2000 on their outboards and not on the skis, especially considering the less than state-of-the art instrument clusters we get from the factory. I have put a 7" GPS across my dash as I run in waters with thousands of islands, underwater rocks etc and a gps map is mandatory to be able to enjoy the ski fully and navigate safely.

+1
    I did extensive work gettinga= a Garmin GPS to to embed specific details in a digital camera picture back when gas was like $1.50 The camera required a special protocol converter ( MC-35) to accept the data coming from the GPS serial port and allow the cameras interface ( a ten pin proprietary system) to accept the data

I don't believe ( unless you map data to oddball fields) that you won't get those items to show on a gps

the best I ever got into my personal GPS was data from a fishfinder which showed water temp and depth, but the Map 76 was set up to handle that.

You simply need a digital display that can speak nema and display the items you need.

There hasn't been any significant advances in providing additional instrumentation for PWC's likely due to the liability of providing such a display could be called an unnecessary operator distraction

I'd sure as shiz like to know my oil temp[/pressure and charging rate in amps but I guess to more important stuff is what's in front of you.

I suspect the Candoo guys have looked at a dongle that could perhaps send that type of data over a bluetooth connection so your phone could display vital engine stats

That's pretty much what these bluetooth dongles for OBDII systems do

I have been trying to figure out how to interface my Lowrance HDS9 Gen3 in with my 2017 Yamaha FX HO via NMEA 2000/1083 to display engine stats, speed, RPM, etc. I have done some research but there isn’t much data on this for the PWC's. I know most of the newer outboards come ready with a plug in the face of the engine that can connect to the Yamaha interface cable and then directly into a Lowrance, Garmin or Ray Marine sounder. I would imagine the mechanics have to plug in someplace to get diagnostics info.

My question is multipart.
    - Does anyone know if the Yamaha FX HO Multifunction Information Center uses NMEA 2000 to communicate to the dash gauges?
    - Is there a connection under the seat or dash that I can connect a Lowrance NMEA 2000 To Yamaha Interface Cable ( P/N 000-0120-37 )
    - Can I tap into the Multifunction Information Center display connections under the dash and pull this data into my Lowrance HDS?
    - Would the Yamaha command link be the answer?

Lastly, I can't seem to find any wiring schematics anywhere to map this out myself, does anyone have a color pdf wiring diagram for the 2017 FX HO?
    It would be a big help and greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Blair
    Last edited by Bakkeb; 05-22-2018 at 11:42 PM.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    I recently purchased a larger Garmin Chartplotter that has NMEA 2000 and would like to figure a way to Display engine data on my Garmin unit. Any insight would be great. I wonder if Jesus at Riva or the Candoo Pro guys could offer some insight as to what Yamahas communication protocols are and how we could approach adapting this for use with NMEA 2000

+1
    Back in ancient history I coordinated Nikon's US offices with garmin to provide a GPS data feed to one of our first digital cameras that supported coordinates in exif it wasn't too terribly difficult as both products supported a serial data bus

I took a look at the 2000 NEMA spec and it isn't much different with the exception of now supporting CAN network data, but it's serial protocols seem to still exist and that might be the way.

here's a pdf on the spec. Now the candoo data cable for the yamaha plugs into what appears to be a three wire connector, which could be a serial protocol, which makes for a nice product for the candoo crew to develop IF there was enough demand

you might be able to get the console data onto you chartplotter with a simple serial cable connection

still seems like a limited market product which might not cover development costs

If I was playaing around with this I'd hoow up the candoo yamaha cable to the serial port on the chartplotter to see what the response would be . I'm fairly confident the chartplotter has a serial port and a menu selector if the port is taking can data or serial data. My garmin GPS was able to display depth information from a garmin fishfinder without too much difficulty when the GPS was set to accept nema data

in any event....

https://www.nmea.org/Assets/2000-exp...hite-paper.pdf

+1
    The folks over on the jetboat forums have been trying to do this for years and they haven't gotten very far. Its some sort of proprietary protocol that isn't NMEA 2k friendly. The displays are made by a third-party licensed to interface, but that is about it.
    These engines/ECU's etc.. are the same that are used on the jetboats. The Yamaha Marine unit that builds marine outboards for boats is not the same as the unit that builds the waverunner/Jetboat engines. The former does have NMEA 2k compatible bus that allows you to tap into it.
    Last edited by tman701; 12-19-2020 at 02:49 PM. Reason: spelling

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by tman701 View Post
    The folks over on the jetboat forums have been trying to do this for years and they haven't gotten very far. Its some sort of proprietary protocol that isn't NMEA 2k friendly. The displays are made by a third-party licensed to interface, but that is about it.
    These engines/ECU's etc.. are the same that are used on the jetboats. The Yamaha Marine unit that builds marine outboards for boats is not the same as the unit that builds the waverunner/Jetboat engines. The former does have NMEA 2k compatible bus that allows you to tap into it.

Through some google searches that's what I have been discovering. Im guessing that the Riva people and Candoo guys have deciphered these signals since they can display this data in their diagnostic software. So maybe they would be able to introduce a product that would be able to do these things.

+1
    That would be a welcome product. An adapter that takes the proprietary data and spits out corresponding NMEA2k/1k data. Then you can hook that up to all sorts of doodad's to read the output. But, that also begs the question, why hasn't Yamaha done it yet, maybe they aren't allowing it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information