Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. GP1800 View Post
    . Im guessing that the Riva people and Candoo guys have deciphered these signals since they can display this data in their diagnostic software.
    Another option would be to contact the Swedish guys that make Maptuner X. They are pretty handy with ECU communication protocols as well.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. GP1800 View Post
    I recently purchased a larger Garmin Chartplotter that has NMEA 2000 and would like to figure a way to Display engine data on my Garmin unit. Any insight would be great. I wonder if Jesus at Riva or the Candoo Pro guys could offer some insight as to what Yamahas communication protocols are and how we could approach adapting this for use with NMEA 2000

I would be shocked if any shop that does this would give you any info on the can-bus data. Unless you have some connections your best bet would be to get a can-bus sniffer and try to figure it out yourself.

+1
    As far as I know, Yamaha ECU/ECM utilizes k-line protocol. So in order to get that data into a chart-plotter, one would need to devise micro-controller of sorts that can interpret the k-line data, then re-package that data to NMEA2000 data. Just thinking out loud... I bet it could be done via Arduino or similar open source micro-controller platform. So the real effort here, is to first understand and decipher the k-line data stream timings, which some have posted on the web. Is it worth to develop such a thing for personal use - likely not. Mass-production ... possibly if there is indeed a real market for such an interface/adaptor.

4. +1 by:

+1
    I have a Lowrance HDS unit on my boat. And the engines are smart craft. And the key is a gateway/ converted to read the engine data and put out it in the standards NMEA 2000 language.

if someone made the gateway for Yamahas they would be in Business. I know a map tuner can read all the data live just need to figured out how to output it?

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    As far as I know, Yamaha ECU/ECM utilizes k-line protocol. So in order to get that data into a chart-plotter, one would need to devise micro-controller of sorts that can interpret the k-line data, then re-package that data to NMEA2000 data. Just thinking out loud... I bet it could be done via Arduino or similar open source micro-controller platform. So the real effort here, is to first understand and decipher the k-line data stream timings, which some have posted on the web. Is it worth to develop such a thing for personal use - likely not. Mass-production ... possibly if there is indeed a real market for such an interface/adaptor.
    K line is correct. I contacted Candoo and they confirmed that for me. They are able to read that data for their diagnostic software and so can the maptuner setup. Unfortunately I need someone smarter than me to figure out what to do with that data.

+1
    Fox marine makes converters for older non smart craft engines, and then also I don't know what smartcraft engines used. but maybe a phone call to Fox marine would be helpful. They figured it out for other brands. maybe they would work with you to get it done.

+1
    I’m working on this now. I have purchased an analog to NMEA 2000 converter. I should be able to tap into analog sensors to display any data I want.

So far my plan is for engine rpm, fuel level, and possibly engine temp and boost.

I’ll keep this updated as I figure it all out
    Last edited by K447; 01-08-2021 at 02:43 PM.

9. +1 by:

+1
    Mind sharing a link for the Analog to NMEA?

I really want to make one for westerbeke generators.. buy a male and female harness plug, and wire in all the analog signals to such a converter, and then bam. you have a plug and play item for a bunch of boats for engine data on the genny when parked.

+1
    This is what I bought

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BB9A11BF-5987-44C2-AC10-ADF3F505C4A9.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	470544  

I will be attentive to the progress because it interests me

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information