Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

2010/2011 RXT-X 260 Pump upgrade options???

Hey yaw,

What jet pump upgrade options are there for those of us with the 2010/2011 RXT-X 260 style pumps, the ones that mount to the ride plate? From what I can tell there aren't really any available for the ride plate mounted pump. Is it possible to convert my ski over to the normal pump, so that I could use the Riva pro series pump, for example?

+1
    Also, will the driveshaft alignment tool work on my pump? Or is there a special tool for the ride plate mounted pump.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jkmike View Post
    Also, will the driveshaft alignment tool work on my pump? Or is there a special tool for the ride plate mounted pump.
    There is a adapter plate for that pump for engine alighment

+1
    Hey yaw,

What jet pump upgrade options are there for those of us with the 2010/2011 RXT-X 260 style pumps, the ones that mount to the ride plate? From what I can tell there aren't really any available for the ride plate mounted pump. Is it possible to convert my ski over to the normal pump, so that I could use the Riva pro series pump, for example?
    It's kind of an ordeal to change out the pump shoe to the new style. It can be done but unless yours gets damaged I wouldn't. The stock pump is plenty good and there a lot of good choices for impellers. After having several of those pumps I wouldn't say it's worth unless your doing a big HP build and just want something sturdier.

The alignment adapter you need has to bolt to the ride plate, I'm not sure if like SBT sells that one, they do for the newer pump shoe.

Do you feel your alignment is out? Do you have lots of black carbon dust or water in the hull? You might think about upgrading to the newer style stainless hat and get a new bellow band. They are like springs they get worn out over time. There are specs for all those parts you can measure in the shop manual.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoMite View Post
    It's kind of an ordeal to change out the pump shoe to the new style. It can be done but unless yours gets damaged I wouldn't. The stock pump is plenty good and there a lot of good choices for impellers. After having several of those pumps I wouldn't say it's worth unless your doing a big HP build and just want something sturdier.

The alignment adapter you need has to bolt to the ride plate, I'm not sure if like SBT sells that one, they do for the newer pump shoe.

Do you feel your alignment is out? Do you have lots of black carbon dust or water in the hull? You might think about upgrading to the newer style stainless hat and get a new bellow band. They are like springs they get worn out over time. There are specs for all those parts you can measure in the shop manual.
    Sbt has them I remember purchasing it a long time ago .

+1
    My ultimate plan is to do a Big HP build which is why I was asking. Currently I am basically at a Stage 4 and while my next stage of mods will focus mainly on the engine internals, I would eventually like to be able to upgrade to a higher performance pump. So the fact that it can be done is good to know.

As far as my alignment, I really don't know if it is out, this is my first ski so I don't know what it would feel like if it was. I was mainly asking because I will be replacing the motor mounts in the near future, as a precautionary measure given the age and hours on my ski, and when I do I would like to check the alignment. I believe the previous owner already upgraded the hat when he replaced the carbon seal and upgraded the driveshaft, which was done 12 hrs before I purchased the ski. I do however have a decent amount black dust around the driveshaft/hat, but i don't know how long it has been there. I cleaned it all up the other day, so I will keep an eye on the area to see if it comes back. As far as water, I do have some in my hull after every ride and am still trying to figure out where its coming from but its relatively minimal. I think most of it is leaking in around the seal on the adjustable steering/gauge assembly.

+1
    My ultimate plan is to do a Big HP build which is why I was asking. Currently I am basically at a Stage 4 and while my next stage of mods will focus mainly on the engine internals, I would eventually like to be able to upgrade to a higher performance pump. So the fact that it can be done is good to know.

As far as my alignment, I really don't know if it is out, this is my first ski so I don't know what it would feel like if it was. I was mainly asking because I will be replacing the motor mounts in the near future, as a precautionary measure given the age and hours on my ski, and when I do I would like to check the alignment. I believe the previous owner already upgraded the hat when he replaced the carbon seal and upgraded the driveshaft, which was done 12 hrs before I purchased the ski. I do however have a decent amount black dust around the driveshaft/hat, but i don't know how long it has been there. I cleaned it all up the other day, so I will keep an eye on the area to see if it comes back. As far as water, I do have some in my hull after every ride and am still trying to figure out where its coming from but its relatively minimal. I think most of it is leaking in around the seal on the adjustable steering/gauge assembly.
    Got it, now I see your sig. You are pretty far along. One user has ridden that pump to over 90mph (turboed)...it did however blowout eventually. You're options are pretty limited from where you are at for reasonable HP gain for the money.

Honestly I wouldn't change out the mounts unless they are sagging or already broken. I'm pretty sure there is a spec for those as well or you can measure them compared to each other. If you're not getting vibration then they are probably not broken. If you have to you might be able to replace them one at a time and see how it affects the alignment. It's a big PIA to just pull all the mounts and get the alignment setup again.

One thing you can do is, is take your pump off, remove the shaft, carbon ring, hat, bellow band and just put your pump on with the shaft going into the PTO and see if it's going through the center of the hull and see if there is some play in the shaft by trying to move it forward and backward. The tolerance is about 3mm for play. Should move back and forth just a little. If it doesn't feel bound up and it's going through the center of the hull I'd say your good to go on alignment. Make sure the rubber stopper is on the end of the shaft going into the motor as well. Check and make sure the orings are good in the hat and pto and regrease everything with triple guard. Make sure to properly torque the bolts holding the pump down. Not sure on that style pump but on the style that mounts to the hull it will make a difference in the alignment if the bolts aren't properly torqued down.

You can dimensionally check your carbon ring and make sure it's not getting worn to one side. Not sure what hat you have but the newest one is bigger and longer and put's more pressure on the carbon ring. Neither of my 300s get water in them after I ride unless it comes over the top. All my 260s skis got a little water in them.

If want to do the pump shoe, it helps if start off with everything aligned before you rip out the shoe else it's harder since all your reference points are kind of gone. You can gut check it in comparison to the back of the ski as well before and after but it sure helps to start off with known good alignment before pulling the shoe out.

+1
    Yea I realize my options moving forward are somewhat limited. My current plan is first a full Riva exhaust, then switching from just Les Cook retainers to most likely Supertech springs and retainers, then lightweight valves with either a 3 angle or 5 angle regrind (not sure which yet, still learning when it comes to heads) and at the same time porting and polishing the head (idk if I will do it or have it done by hand or on a CNC, depends on cost and potential gains), then an upgraded camshaft. Not sure what will come after all that, yet. lol

I will definitely check my service manual to see if it calls out any specs I can check. None of the mounts are broken as of right now, I am just worried about what will happen if one does break. I tend to ride in choppy waters where I come unhooked a lot. I'm still researching this topic, but what will likely happen if one of the mounts ends up breaking? I am most likely going to start taking on water, correct???

As far as changing out the pump, I'm still a ways off on that one. But if you know of any threads that discuss the process, please post the link. I haven't found any yet, still searching though.

+1
    Hey yaw,

You can add the 300 wear ring; 161mm. You will an new impeller to match it (see Skat-Trak).

There is a special adapter setup for driveshaft alignment for your pump/ride plate. If its no longer available, borrow one.

+1
    Yea I realize my options moving forward are somewhat limited. My current plan is first a full Riva exhaust, then switching from just Les Cook retainers to most likely Supertech springs and retainers, then lightweight valves with either a 3 angle or 5 angle regrind (not sure which yet, still learning when it comes to heads) and at the same time porting and polishing the head (idk if I will do it or have it done by hand or on a CNC, depends on cost and potential gains), then an upgraded camshaft. Not sure what will come after all that, yet. lol

I will definitely check my service manual to see if it calls out any specs I can check. None of the mounts are broken as of right now, I am just worried about what will happen if one does break. I tend to ride in choppy waters where I come unhooked a lot. I'm still researching this topic, but what will likely happen if one of the mounts ends up breaking? I am most likely going to start taking on water, correct???

As far as changing out the pump, I'm still a ways off on that one. But if you know of any threads that discuss the process, please post the link. I haven't found any yet, still searching though.
    Put it this way I've had like 6 or so new 2010 and forward skis and I ride them all hard through the ocean/jumped them and never broke a mount. 100s of hours of ocean riding. If you break one you'll experience weird vibration most likely you can figure it out by taking your favorite pry tool and lifting the engine next to that mount.

Cam would be good but that other stuff is tough sell if your not going turbo or just have lots money to burn for minimal return. And if you do have money to burn move to a 300 platform or get a motec so you can dial your current setup into perfection and have high end logging so you can catch problems early. Full riva exhaust other than noise is not going to do much for you. There is some benefit in getting rid of the plastic resonator but if you never over heat it, should be fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information