Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    +1
    Stock clutch going strong for 2yrs and hundreds of high mph runs......It's all in riding style....If I wanted to I could snap my clutch/shaft and probably other things faster than you can blink but that would be stupid lol.....If you air out the ski holding Wot when you land you can kiss your clutch bye bye.....or just stay hard in boost in chop with pump unhooking every second....I think you gotta modulate and roll in and out of the throttle to extend clutch life...

+1
    Was looking into a BOV but after reading this, I think I'll be fine. I don't jump waves and I typically throttle down in chop and I never just release after WOT so makes me fell better that it boils down to riding style

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FZeeR View Post
    Stock clutch going strong for 2yrs and hundreds of high mph runs......It's all in riding style....If I wanted to I could snap my clutch/shaft and probably other things faster than you can blink but that would be stupid lol.....If you air out the ski holding Wot when you land you can kiss your clutch bye bye.....or just stay hard in boost in chop with pump unhooking every second....I think you gotta modulate and roll in and out of the throttle to extend clutch life...
    I too have had good luck with mine as well. I have a 16' FZS SVHO and it has 96 hours on stock clutch. It's all in how you ride the ski and the fact that I'm not tuned helps some. hahaha

+1
    Dont have time to take it to him and if it is the clutch, there is nothing he can do about that.

Quote Originally Posted by MJE View Post
    Go visit Jim for the love of god. Tired of telling you this.

+1
    Of the ones that have had clutch failure problems; were you using synthetic or non-synthetic oil? How about the same question for those that have run them hard with mods and no clutch issues?

One theory might be that synthetic oil is allowing the clutch to slip and create too much heat.

Could a limited slip additive to the oil help reduce clutch slip and premature failures?

+1
    i am using OEM oil

From Toms River Nj , Now in Port St Lucie FL
    +1
    I installed The R&D Raceport blow off valve and it really does help, as soon as the ski unhooks or comes out of the water PSHHHHH it releases all pressure, sounds cool as hell too, it gets really rough here so I looked at it as a extra piece of reliability i guess you can say.

+1
    I love the speed and power of my stage 1 fzs. But sometimes I wish I just got a vxr. I'm a big time ocean rider and in Long Island we have pretty cool "trails" to ride through in our bay. Almost like a race track. And to be honest we ride hard. I blew a clutch at 50 hours. With about 10 of them stage 1 with blow off valve. Kinda sucks how conscious I have to be when jumping waves or blasting threw chop to try not and hurt the clutch. I did the job myself and the part was covered. It's not the worst job but still a pain in the ass on a year old ski. I got rid of my old gp 2 stroke cause I was tired of fixing something every season. But I guess it's the price you pay to go fast.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    BOV might actually have a negative effect. If you let go of throttle with a BOV it will bleed the pressure, without a BOV the pressure slows down the charger impeller reducing the work for the clutch.

In turbo applications the BOV prevents the impeller from stalling which would cause lag if throttle was applied right away.

My theory
    i wonder how true this theory could be. I honestly wondered that myself. In theory you shouldn't get compressor surge with a clutch. But obviously you do. Without a bov I had the riva intake and you could clearly hear the shutter of the air fighting the charger when letting off the throttle. Also for the bov to blow off there has to be pressure so the clutch obviously doesn't completely stop surge. So that being said the blow off valve has to at least save wear and tear on the shaft and the gear no?

+1
    My clutch just went out tonight, 94 hours. Been tuned since 10ish hours. Does it damage anything by still riding it? I was alone and pretty far away from my dock

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information