Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 91
  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by DanSVHO View Post
    to make it simple, you cannot just peg the throttle and get air and unhook the pump because when you land, you are going to jolt the system and will put stress on the clutch resulting in failure eventually. You have to use the throttle wisely and release when you have air (slightly) and reapply throttle when you land etc... Also, when you are at WOT, you shouldnt just rlease the throttle all the way. Gradually release it so the boost pressure doesnt return back the the SC wheel and jolt the system.
    Awesome thanks Dan. So basically same practices as two strokes where you don't want to stay in throttle when the pump loses hook up. Good info on the gradual throttle decrease too.


  2. #12

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    73
    +1
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by DanSVHO View Post
    to make it simple, you cannot just peg the throttle and get air and unhook the pump because when you land, you are going to jolt the system and will put stress on the clutch resulting in failure eventually. You have to use the throttle wisely and release when you have air (slightly) and reapply throttle when you land etc... Also, when you are at WOT, you shouldnt just rlease the throttle all the way. Gradually release it so the boost pressure doesnt return back the the SC wheel and jolt the system.

    The logic is simple just dont let the blower make more boost than you are asking for, let the rpms of it spin down etc before being off the throttle. However once you install a BOV inst this a moot point? In theory shouldn't that eliminate all these issues?

  3. #13
    DanSVHO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Posts
    936
    +1
    89
    In theory yes. But who knows for sure without doing actual testing to see if clutch is stressed less with BOV installed and doing WOT runs and releaseing throttle all the way fast with and without BOV. Ive read people go through clutches even with BOV installed, Myslef included. So, it makes me wonder if the BOV is working as it should OR there is another factor we arent considering, like higher boost or RPMS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
    The logic is simple just dont let the blower make more boost than you are asking for, let the rpms of it spin down etc before being off the throttle. However once you install a BOV inst this a moot point? In theory shouldn't that eliminate all these issues?

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    73
    +1
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by DanSVHO View Post
    In theory yes. But who knows for sure without doing actual testing to see if clutch is stressed less with BOV installed and doing WOT runs and releaseing throttle all the way fast with and without BOV. Ive read people go through clutches even with BOV installed, Myslef included. So, it makes me wonder if the BOV is working as it should OR there is another factor we arent considering, like higher boost or RPMS.

    Higher boost and rpms should defiantly add wear, you are spinning it a faster speed and having the clutch work harder. Every time you let off the gas and get back on it the clutch needs to work just to grab hold of the blower again. So it seems like holding it WOT would be almost no wear but going on and off constantly would increase wear. What oil is everyone running I bet that has a huge impact on this as well.

  5. #15
    ptscon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,263
    +1
    913
    BOV might actually have a negative effect. If you let go of throttle with a BOV it will bleed the pressure, without a BOV the pressure slows down the charger impeller reducing the work for the clutch.

    In turbo applications the BOV prevents the impeller from stalling which would cause lag if throttle was applied right away.

    My theory


  6. #16

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    73
    +1
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    BOV might actually have a negative effect. If you let go of throttle with a BOV it will bleed the pressure, without a BOV the pressure slows down the charger impeller reducing the work for the clutch.

    In turbo applications the BOV prevents the impeller from stalling which would cause lag if throttle was applied right away.

    My theory
    I hear what you are saying since the blower can continue to spin with the pressure bleeding off rather than the boost back pressure stopping it. However I think the wear is more cause by constant RPM changes in the blower.....

  7. #17
    DanSVHO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Posts
    936
    +1
    89
    OEM Yamah oil
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
    Higher boost and rpms should defiantly add wear, you are spinning it a faster speed and having the clutch work harder. Every time you let off the gas and get back on it the clutch needs to work just to grab hold of the blower again. So it seems like holding it WOT would be almost no wear but going on and off constantly would increase wear. What oil is everyone running I bet that has a huge impact on this as well.

  8. #18
    DanSVHO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Posts
    936
    +1
    89
    This makes sense also. But, if the air has no where to go but back towards the blower, wouldnt that cause the wheel to recieve a shock of pressure in the oposite direction, causing stress on the clutch? This is the reason for putting on a BOV in the first place. I know Dean does not use BOV's on his skis but i dont know the reasoning behind it.

    Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    BOV might actually have a negative effect. If you let go of throttle with a BOV it will bleed the pressure, without a BOV the pressure slows down the charger impeller reducing the work for the clutch.

    In turbo applications the BOV prevents the impeller from stalling which would cause lag if throttle was applied right away.

    My theory

  9. #19
    Can you successfully wave jump with a modded SVHO? Or is the clutch going to always blow?

    Just got rid of a problematic RXPX. I had tons of issues but never anything with the supercharger clutch. And I typically like jumping but now concerned that my modded FZR won't handle it well.

  10. #20
    Haven't fallen yet. MJE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts
    Posts
    488
    +1
    40
    Go visit Jim for the love of god. Tired of telling you this.

    Quote Originally Posted by DanSVHO View Post
    i seem to be ruining clutches every 3 hours. i have not idea why. im not even getting on it. its being replaced by riva every time but its very annoying. I feel like its something causing the clutch to go out. Could it beave my BOV? i HKS knock off. Is there a way to adjust the spring pressure to make it go off at lower boost?

  11. +1 by:


Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. average supercharger clutch life span??
    By MR MAC in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 05-06-2014, 06:03 PM
  2. clutch life
    By razzie in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-12-2012, 03:24 PM
  3. A new poll for clutch life span...
    By MR MAC in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 02-23-2012, 12:05 PM
  4. SC clutch life -- a different approach for MoTeC users
    By desperado in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-06-2011, 12:04 AM
  5. SHO Motor Typical Clutch Life ?
    By 4-D in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-11-2010, 09:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •