Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by RookieTY View Post
    I will triple check these things but I am pretty sure all of this was in place. I had the battery backwards originally but then fixed it.
    If you hooked up the battery backwards, you blew the fuse in the electrical box. Under the rear seat cushion, under the storage box, there is a silver metal box. That's where the ignition system and starter relay are located. There is a large round black cap on that box. Unscrew it (CCW) and you'll see a couple of fuses inside. Replace them.

As K447 said, don't worry about milky oil, your engine doesn't have oil in it. Putting oil in the spark plug holes really won't help, as it's the bottom end of the engine that needs protection from the water. Water is more dense than oil, so it will stay at the bottom of the engine.

Put some old rags over the spark plug holes when you crank it, water and oil will get all over everything within 10 feet of it.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    ... 1998 Kawasaki STX1100 ...
    Is this a DI fuel injected engine or carburetor?

Where are you located? Update your My Profile with your location. Top right corner of web site.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Here's a better idea for right now. On the left side of the silver box, you'll see 2 large wires. One is labelled Battery, the other Starter. Get a battery booster pack or some jumper cables and jump directly to the Starter cable terminal. You'll hook the red jumper cable to the + side of the good battery, the other end to the Starter cable terminal. Next, hook a black jumper cable to the - post of the JetSki battery, then hook the other end to the - post of the good battery. It will spark and it should shoot water everywhere.

The '98 was before fuel injection.

5. +1 by:

+1
    Oh, yea, while the above method will allow you to crank the starter on the engine, it will not actually start until you replace the blown fuse.

7. +1 by:

Awesome! Thank you so much for all of the feedback! I am going to get on this, this evening.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    have a look at the wiring going into the electric box, if ANY of those plastic connectors are broken ( don't dink with them, they are brittle) , you likely have water in the electric vault. remove cover, blow out with compressed air ( a leafblower will do if you don't have a compressor) and then clean up. Using the jump the solenoid method will help you begin to clear the engine of water. Don't dilly, you need to get the motor running real soon. like within 24 hours if possible

as you can see, a sunken ski is a call to arms for the forum.

Welcome aboard btw.

I just hooked the batter up and water came shooting out. How long do I let it run like this? Until nothing comes out?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    I just hooked the batter up and water came shooting out. How long do I let it run like this? Until nothing comes out?
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    ... The normal method is to remove all spark plugs, hold throttle wide open and crank the engine. Water will spurt out of the spark plug holes. Crank for about 30 seconds, then let it cool down for a minute. then crank again. Keep the battery charged.

Read up on how to recover from a water flooded watercraft engine. Key is to get the water out, then get the engine running. The air flow and heat from running helps dry out the engine internally. THEN you go for a ride. At speed the engine finishes drying out. THEN you spray fogging oil into the carb air intakes after engine shut down, on the trailer.
    Keep cranking in 30 second intervals until there is just a minimal water mist being ejected.

Then put the spark plugs in and attempt to start. Use the choke. If it does not fire up within about 20 seconds of cranking, remove spark plugs. Dry them out, try again.

Eventually it should sputter and try to run. A little more effort and it should keep running on one cylinder. Use the throttle to keep it running, even rev it up a little. All the cylinders should begin working, at which point it should be able to rev fairly easily.

Do not run it for more than 30 seconds at a time, since there is (paradoxically) no water cooling for the engine. Let it cool for a couple of minutes, then run it again for 30 seconds. By now it should be quite warm.

Keep the battery charged. This is really hard on the battery, even a new battery.
    Last edited by K447; 05-08-2017 at 08:28 PM.

12. +1 by:

+1
    Cranking with the spark plugs removed really isn't that hard on the starter or battery. There really isn't much load on it.

Keep in mind that the engine will not start until you replace the blown fuse. Also, as Peter mentioned, if there is water in the electrical box, it will probably need to be dried out before it will start.

Good luck!

14. +1 by:

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    stay aware of the fact that there is also fuel involved here, so slip the plug caps onto the triple metal posts by the electric box if they are not connected to a plug installed in a cylinder. Try really hard not to start a fire. Make sure the fuel feed is OFF until you're ready to try for a start up for real.

I get em to run on one cylinder for a few seconds, that tends to blow the water out of the others.

more rags and throw away towels needed at this point also. gonna get mess(ier)

charge the battery between attempts, disconnect one of the battery leads when you put the charger on it, you can charge 6-9 amps for short periods of time.

what's the electric box condition ?( if you unscrew the plastic fuse cap and see any rusty water, that ain't good)

16. +1 by:

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information