Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bktam View Post
    Can someone help ? I removed the Allen bolt and loosen the nut. Now what? The Allen bolt doesn’t turn so I am not sure how it can be adjusted. Any help will be appreciated.
    The allen bolt is also thread into that housing point as well. It wont just knock out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bktam View Post
    Can someone help ? I removed the Allen bolt and loosen the nut. Now what? The Allen bolt doesn’t turn so I am not sure how it can be adjusted. Any help will be appreciated.
    That's a confusing statement... which is the case here? The Allen bolt had to have turned to have been removed?? Do you perhaps mean the removed alen-bolt cable end section doesn't "spin"??

Procedure (as I remember):
    - Loosen & totally remove the nut on the underside of the alen-bolt.
    - Loosen & totally remove the alen-bolt from the steering nozzle. As mentioned above - it is threaded-in. Cable is now freed from the steering nozzle.
    - Loosen & back-off the small lock-nut located on the cable end. You'll want two small wrenches - one on the locking-nut & one on the cable end-collar.
    - With the lock-nut backed-away, you can now spin the entire cable end-collar (the part that still has the alen-bolt attached) in or out <--- this is what adjusts the steering center.
    - Reverse process to re-assemble.

One you've made a few turns on the end-collar, unfortunately you'll have to screw the alen-bolt back into the steering nozzle to perform an accurate left/right measurement check as per service manual.

Thanks! I at least know I've done all the steps correctly. The part that doesn't work for me is:

With the lock-nut backed-away, you can now spin the entire cable end-collar (the part that still has the alen-bolt attached) in or out <--- this is what adjusts the steering center.

It won't spin. Is there a trick to it? Seems pretty straight forward, but for some reason it's not budging.

TimeBandit,

I just reread your post. Yes, you are correct. The alen-bolt cable end section doesn't spin even after it's been removed from the nozzle.

+1
    Ok, thanks for the confirmation. Sounds like you did everything correctly then. You did loosen the lock-nut right?
    If so, the possible issue is that it is stuck/oxidized a bit. So, you might want to apply some penetrating oil and let it sit a while. Heat can help - but that is a tricky location.

The other "issue" is that the cable wants to turn also, thus attempting to turn the end collar is non-productive. Therefore, you will need to steady the bar piece whilst turning the end collar. You could attach a baby pair of vice-grips on the smooth bar section just after the bar threads runs out. Or, you can back the lock-nut all the way to where the bar threads begin to run-out... once the nut bottoms-out it will naturally "hold" the bar while you turn the end collar with another wrench. Once things free-up, should be able to turn it by fingers.

More info:
    One more observation . . . if/when you are successful, and you put it all back together and tight, insure that the collar piece which has the alen-bolt is "level" (horizontal) as possible. If you reference your pic above... see that it is binding at a 45 deg twist. No need to be perfect, just try to correct that best possible. Not a deal-breaker, not going to hurt anything, yet things that are less-stressed kinda goes without saying
    Last edited by TimeBandit; 07-06-2018 at 12:30 PM. Reason: more info:

Thank you very much! I have been trying to adjust this for a week with no success. My five year old has been asking me to take him out. Hopefully I can get it adjusted today so he and I can enjoy some time on the river. Have a great weekend.

+1

2nd adjustment point?

Deleting my question, found the answer in thread Sorry
    Last edited by Dino7; 06-09-2019 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino7 View Post
    Deleting my question, found the answer in thread Sorry
    Can you tell me what the fix is you found. I have a 2009 FZR and it has play in the handlebars too. It has about a 1/4in wobble which can be bad at 70mph... I took the handlebar area apart and mine has wobble due to the height adjust steering where 2 bolts hold a metal piece in the center to not allow the steering to swing side to side.. but it does just a bit. I took the piece out and didnt see any major wear.. curious if this is how its built from the factory.. nothing else has play at all .. just that small "Key" piece in the steering assembly once the plastics are removed. thanks

+1
    My issue wasn’t the “play” in the bars, it was with there not being enough “thread” in the rear steering joint to allow me to align the steering properly. I found out that there is a 2nd adjustment point under the steering column (behind the front access door in the front hatch). But my problem now is getting to that link, it’s pretty well blocked by wiring and a few vent hoses lol.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information