Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    +1
    Steering and tracking can be separate issues. On-throttle, the jet-stream forces will tend to center the steering nozzle, and thus SHOULD naturally drive the ski straight. I'm talking no steering input - hands totally off the bars. Hard to test if you don't have cruise-control feature, but if it then veers left/right, one might have an alignment issue with ride plate / grate, or just a case of unequal ballast on the ski. Sometime mods, after-market, deleting stuff . . . shifts weight around. Even water trapped between the inner/out hulls. That said, if one lucky, aka tracking straight, then it just a trivial matter of adjusting the steering cable to straighten the bars.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimeVXR View Post
    I honestly can not remember how it was during the break in. I remember first noticing it at about 12 hours. I bought it new from the showroom at the dealer. The steering link doesnt look like it gets adjusted the same way on each ski. I feel like they just adjust those by eye. If you dont feel comfortble have the dealer adjust it after the oil change. I dont ride too much on flat water so it didnt bother me that much. My biggest problem is that when im going 60+, the steering has some free play. I can move/steer the steering an inch left/right without any affect to the nozzle. Feels like a old car steering wheel that has freeplay.
    Appreciate the info. Regarding free play, I currently have no free play. I am wondering if there could be something coming loose up towards the handle bars??? I recall seeing a youtube video from Japan where they took the entire steering system out - could offer some hints of what could be coming loose.

Update: After three attempts at adjusting, it took a total of 6 full turns out to get my steering spot-on straight. Now, I just hope this holds. And it raised a question - what changed during the break-in period.
    Last edited by TwoBurgers; 06-24-2017 at 09:02 PM. Reason: update...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    I'm talking no steering input - hands totally off the bars.
    While not as noticeable as my F-12X, at idle speed my GP tends to wander left to right. For me, I was just concerned about alignment at speed.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBurgers View Post
    Appreciate the info. Regarding free play, I currently have no free play. I am wondering if there could be something coming loose up towards the handle bars??? I recall seeing a youtube video from Japan where they took the entire steering system out - could offer some hints of what could be coming loose.

Update: After three attempts at adjusting, it took a total of 5 full turns out to get my steering spot-on straight. Now, I just hope this holds. And it raised a question - what changed during the break-in period.
    TwoBurgers, after 5 turns out how much of the ball joint was still treaded onto the rod? Should be plenty but you dont want to get to close to the end where it could strip out. There is some adjustment on the other end too.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BLASTER 1 View Post
    TwoBurgers, after 5 turns out how much of the ball joint was still treaded onto the rod? Should be plenty but you dont want to get to close to the end where it could strip out. There is some adjustment on the other end too.
    Hi Blaster - that is an excellent point. I turned the connection a few turns out past where I settled to make sure it still had bite. However, I am not sure just how much thread I have left. When you speak the other end, I presume you are speaking at the handle bars. If you happen to have a pic or link, I would appreciate the info. I'm going to watch the alignment, but on my last ride with the GF and her kids, the alignment seems to hold.
    Chris

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBurgers View Post
    Hi Blaster - that is an excellent point. I turned the connection a few turns out past where I settled to make sure it still had bite. However, I am not sure just how much thread I have left. When you speak the other end, I presume you are speaking at the handle bars. If you happen to have a pic or link, I would appreciate the info. I'm going to watch the alignment, but on my last ride with the GF and her kids, the alignment seems to hold.
    Chris
    Yes at the handlebar end, basically the same kind of setup as the nozzle side. I would think you'd have plenty threaded in on the nozzle side but if you ever have to readjust that is an option. Sorry no pictures but you could look from the front by removing the plastic wall just to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Eric

7. +1 by:

+1
    Hi Guys, I was doing a flush yesterday and noticed as I was spraying the cables and joints that my nozzle was pointing slightly to the right and the steering was straight.
    I thought this may have just been a Yamaha thing as the ski always seems to go straight when the steering is straight ?
    Unless over time I just adjusted myself to suit the nozzle change ?
    I would hazard a guess that if others have this happen then will it keep slowly moving more to the point I have to have the handlebars half way to the left all the time if I don't adjust it myself ?
    What are the mechanics doing at each service ?
    Should I adjust it myself or ask next time I take it in for it's service if it's a part of the service routine at x amount of hours or just if the mechanic feels like doing it or not ?
    Great forum by the way lots of helpful hints and tips, only problem I have is there is so much information it can take a while to find what I am looking for

+1
    Gardum - Adjusting the steering is easy to do - need a socket set and a set of wrenches. If you have to steer your ski to the left, to fix you will need to elongate the linkage at the pump. I removed the lower nut at the linkage, then used a wrench to remove the linkage from the pump. Then, back off the retainer bolt which will then allow you to move the linkage in or out. In my case, I needed five turns out to get the steering spot on straight. Reverse the steps to snug everything up. I also used a drop of blue thread lock to the bottom nut before tightening. No need to rely on the dealer and pay high shop fees.
    Chris
    Last edited by TwoBurgers; 06-22-2017 at 07:10 PM. Reason: spealing

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardum View Post
    Hi Guys, I was doing a flush yesterday and noticed as I was spraying the cables and joints that my nozzle was pointing slightly to the right and the steering was straight.
    I thought this may have just been a Yamaha thing as the ski always seems to go straight when the steering is straight ?
    ..... snip
    No need to guess at something as important as steering . . . the authorized Service Manual has a detailed specific method to check/adjust "center" the steering nozzle.

Looks can be deceiving. Not sure if it is just looks or also a combination of engineered offsets/cemetery built into the pump to counter the centrifugal forces. Regardless, if your ski drives straight - I'd tend to not fix what is not broken.

Can someone help ? I removed the Allen bolt and loosen the nut. Now what? The Allen bolt doesn’t turn so I am not sure how it can be adjusted. Any help will be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	561250E4-D90E-4EB2-8C16-679D9007BEA3.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	435887  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information