Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Talking Impulse buy gp1800

So after I graduated high school I bought a 2005 gp1300, spent a lot of time reading on here and got it going pretty good. Fast forward 12 years, I have a wife and 3 kids and as of today a 2017 gp1800 I knew my 2 stroke pretty good but now I have no clue about the 4 strokes. Obviously their is a need for speed. All I'm looking to do engine wise is the tune but am scared of the potential supercharger issues I've read about. From what I understand as soon as you raise rpms the supercharger becomes an issue. Will tuning the PWC raise the RPMS to a dangerous level for the supercharger? If so, Can i get a taller pump impeller to lower the engine RPMS? Thanks for helping out the clueless.

Like a chimp with a ball-peen hammer smackwave's Avatar
    +1
    If you look at the Riva stage 1 plus kit they're running a Solas 13/20 instead of a 13/18 to keep the RPMs down. You'll lose some acceleration, but run about the same top speed. If/when you want to get past that stage 1 level you'll need the shallower prop to get the RPMs, and boost, up, so I'd say plan on budgeting the shaft upgrade into your future build plans. I keep telling myself that I'll stop with Jerry's stage one setup plus a few bits here and there, and budget for installing an updated shaft before the warranty runs out. If I'm reading between the lines right this isn't a matter of safe vs non-safe RPMs, but rather a degree of how much risk you're taking, and it's neither ever zero nor as high as it would seem from the failure reports. I know how I like to beat on my skis, though, and it seems like worthwhile insurance to me.

Congrats on the new toy!

+1
    Thanks. Is the shaft upgrade pretty easy to install? If so, I could do that and not worry about it then go stage 1+ and call it a day!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MDGPR View Post
    Thanks. Is the shaft upgrade pretty easy to install? If so, I could do that and not worry about it then go stage 1+ and call it a day!
    Riva has the install instructions on their site:

http://rivaracing.com/attachment/914...0-UK-6S5-3.pdf

It doesn't look too bad to me other than needing a digital torque wrench that reads into the lower inch pound ratings - just kills me because I already have good torque wrenches that won't read that low, so this'll probably be a spendy single use tool on top of the price of the shaft. Ah well, who said having fun was cheap?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MDGPR View Post
    So after I graduated high school I bought a 2005 gp1300, spent a lot of time reading on here and got it going pretty good. Fast forward 12 years, I have a wife and 3 kids and as of today a 2017 gp1800 I knew my 2 stroke pretty good but now I have no clue about the 4 strokes. Obviously their is a need for speed. All I'm looking to do engine wise is the tune but am scared of the potential supercharger issues I've read about. From what I understand as soon as you raise rpms the supercharger becomes an issue. Will tuning the PWC raise the RPMS to a dangerous level for the supercharger? If so, Can i get a taller pump impeller to lower the engine RPMS? Thanks for helping out the clueless.
    Sometimes impulse buys are the best decisions... at least thats what I try to tell myself

Don't let these 4 strokes intimidate you. They are quite easy and make brutal power.

You could always do the MaptunerX "bone stock" tune which keeps RPM under 8000 and removes the GPS speed limiter, but you are going to benefit by far by going stage 1 and turning more RPM. As posted above, the shaft upgrade for the supercharger is real easy. Don't forget you will also want to pin the front housing. (see sticky thread in this section)

Congrats on the new GP. You will love it!

Jerry

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    Sometimes impulse buys are the best decisions... at least thats what I try to tell myself

Don't let these 4 strokes intimidate you. They are quite easy and make brutal power.
    So much truth to this. I don't even want to think about how much effort and money I poured into the old GP1200R to get it where I wanted to be. I loved every minute of it, but it was constant work! With the GP1800 one flash and I was 75% the way there, and I can feel how much this ski has left in it with just a new impeller. Call me lazy, but now I'm loving spoiling myself by getting great performance at a fraction of the effort, cost, and maintenance.

7. +1 by:

+1
    Would pinning the charger void warranty on the charger say something else went wrong on it. I have full stage one with map tuner and 13/20 prop. Should I be worried about the shaft. I have a 2015 fzs. However right on the valve cover it says manufactured 6/14

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by charliebizz98 View Post
    Would pinning the charger void warranty on the charger say something else went wrong on it. I have full stage one with map tuner and 13/20 prop. Should I be worried about the shaft. I have a 2015 fzs. However right on the valve cover it says manufactured 6/14
    I don't see how Yamaha would void the warranty for pinning the supercharger as they themselves were doing this on 2012 and older superchargers... and they should still be doing it. See pic.

If your ski isn't turning over 8500 RPM I wouldn't be concerned with the shaft.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012volute.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	411429  

+1
    Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the club. With just a few things that will not void warranty (air intake, ribbon delete, freeflow exhaust, Solas 1/20 impeller, GPS bypass) you can be running 76- 78 mph at 7700 rpm. With same mods and Dean's flash you can run 85 mph at 8500 rpm with ridiculous acceleration. This was back to back testing.
    Check out my thread http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=259721

+1
    You can also go to Jesus at Riva and have him upload a modified tune to your Maptuner. He did a Stage 1 tune for me keeping RPM max at 8k. We'll see if I miss those 300 RPMs...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information