Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New/Used '99 gp1200. 29.6hrs

so i picked up a 99 gp1200 with some hull moderate hull damage this weekend. the engine is spotless even the seats look perfect, apparently it was wrecked into a bouy back in 2000 and has been sitting on a porch under a cover ever since so i'm starting the process to rehabilitate it.

so far i
    siphoned the fuel out, blew out the fuel filter, refilled with 6g of 89 oct and some 2 stroke lube for safety along with a little seafoam, the carbs looked like they have never flowed air before. cleaned out the oil system and refilled, cleaned the oil filter and gauge and bled the system. pulled the plugs (looked brand new and gapped properly) and gave the pistons a visual and put some fogging oil and about a capful of 2stroke oil in the bores and let it sit for a day, greased everything that needs it in the manual and lubed the cables, replaced the 10a fuse.

the 2nd day i put power to it and bumped the starter without the plugs in to see what happened, the gauges lit up and it turned over freely. visually the carbs look brand new and not even a hint of carbon down the throats and and after turning it over i'm getting fuel to the cylinders.

the third day i tried to start it but there isn't even a hint of combustion and in the daylight it appears that there is no spark. i guess i'll order a tester for the plugs as the old screwdriver in the wire or letting the plug arc to a bolt didn't look like it did anything. so far i'm only about $120 into this project and i'm feeling pretty good that it even turned over at all. i guess this weekend i'll start on the electrical part of it and start with the stator and go from there. any tips from the veterans would be appreciated. did i mention there are only 29.6 hrs on this rig and it hasn't been wet since 2000?

+1
    Sounds pretty cool. I'm here for the future updates.

+1
    Do you have the safety lanyard clipped onto the handle bars safety stop switch, "dead man" switch?

Yep the clip was under the button. I reset the security code too. I'm surprised it was still in memory with no battery for 17 years. Any other easy guesses? I'm pulling out the multimeter and I ordered one of those adjustable spark testers and I'll go to town on it.

+1
    Maybe corrosion inside the wiring harness connectors feeding the CDI box? Separate the plastic wiring connectors, check for corrosion, then rinse them out with WD40 and reconnect them?

Ok ill try that first next time I wrench on it. Thanks

well today i tested for spark and there was none much as i thought from the previous week so i pulled out the service manual and it looks like the CDI box is toast. a total of 40 columns that were supposed to have values were 0. the primary coils, secondary, charge and pulser all measured out good so i guess thats a hint of a win. anyone try putting in an msd box or anything like that to bypass this system? EDIT: i noticed that when i unplugged the "engine stop switch" that the beeper for the gauge cluster works? it never beeped before...

Last edited by yota924x4; 04-30-2017 at 08:17 PM. Reason: additional content

+1
    I've read some where that the engine should not be cranked, unless the spark plugs are connected to the high voltage wires and the spark plugs are grounded to the block. If plugs are not connected there is a danger of overload burning out the CDI unit.

Is it possible that the security system has the CDI shut down to prevent starting?

I guess it's possible. My first instinct was when I first pulled the plugs and saw that they were brand new that when the person crashed it back in 2000 maybe it woudnt start then and they tried to change the plugs. The 10a fuse was also out of commission (I think I'll splice in blade type fuse in its place). maybe the impact rattled something loose in the cdi?

How did this end up turning out?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information