Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

+1
    That's a good initial, shakedown top speed. My 97's best top speed back in the day was also 57.5 on gps. From what I've found on the forums, your ski has the potential to be a little faster due to the pump nozzle (I think) having a better angle.

The "pulling to the right" is probably costing you some speed as well as the sponsons being all the way down. I can barely break 56 mph these days due to something going wrong underneath my hull as I pass about 45 mph. Once I pass that speed, I can feel something change/give/pop and the ski gets squirrely at the aft end and it starts to pull to one side. It's very noticeable when it happens. I've looked several times at the bottom of my hull inspecting everything try to find out what's going on. I decided to tell you about this just in case you have the same issue. My thread on it is here:

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=270784

Back to the pulling; I'm assuming that your ski has the, plastic, trim tabs like mine used to have. One of mine went bad many years ago. It broke on the inside and it would pull away from the bottom of the hull due to hydrodynamic forces when I would go faster than 35mph. When the ski was back on the trailer (no hydrodynamic forces "sucking" that tab away from the hull) the plastic trim tab looked normal and intact. It was when a forum member told me to pry on it with a screwdriver that I found that it was broken.

I doubt that you have this particular problem because it was very apparent and the ski would list quite a bit to one side with terrible pulling to one side. Couldn't even reach 40 mph.

Sorry for the long post and the link to my thread. I hope something in this post helps you.

My right sponson was wiped out when the original owner crashed it back in 99 so i had to reform that side of the hull and around the bow eye,i adjusted the sponson again and ran it hard on sunday and i hit 61 on the garmin. I read somewhere that later 98 and 99s had a hull change that built the trim tabs in. I certainly do not have any or evidence that they ever attached to the trailing edge of the hull.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190527_212119.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	157.7 KB 
ID:	448892  

+1
    Now that you mention it, I do think that I read years ago that the later models didn't have trim tabs. The trim tabs on the 97's are actually on the bottom of the hull and don't extend past the transom like a trim tab on a boat.

61mph on gps! I'm impressed and very envious. I can only muster 56mph on gps these days with the weird handling thing going on.

Wow, your ski is so damn clean! Glad to hear it's running well. I've got my '99 Riva r3 going but I've been trying to solve a bad porposing problem. I've got it to settle down to about 50, but after that it starts hopping bad. I'm making another adjustment and trying again tomorrow

+1
    Yota924x4...That is a very clean 99 GP!

Mine porpoises between 35 and 45 or so unless the water is flat. I try to avoid that range so i'm either putting around at 30 or doing 50+.

I was out at yough dam lake in Pa today and ran into a red 97-99 gp1200 funny i spotted him from a hundred yards out.

+1
    A scoop style intake grate on the jet pump will probably solve your porpoising issues.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information