Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2006 STX-15F Hot start issue

So after reading tons of posts on what I now see is a common problem Im at a stand still with my Jet Ski. Ive read a bunch of posts and tried several things and tests on fixes and common problems. Ill start with the background of the ski, then the issue and finally what I have tested.

Bought the ski at the end of last summer for what I thought was a good deal. Had 50 hours on it (and still somewhat believe that) and is in immaculate shape because it was supposedly in a garage all its life in NH other than the short riding season. Long story long, I bought it with a bad stator and flywheel (of course he said it was just a bad battery) and I had my GP1200R to rebuild over the winter so I had a shop take on the challenge of replacing the stator/flywheel. For the few weeks I rode the ski last year it ran amazing for as long as the battery would allow. Let it sit over the winter and took it to the shop a few weeks ago. I get it back and I assume its fixed only to discover a new issue. We rode it for a bit, ran perfect, stopped it and tried to start it a few minutes later and it would never start. Finally got it going and rode around a while and went home. I tried to start it after and it wouldnt, But it has almost no issue starting once its sat for a long time except you have to hold the starter for a few seconds longer than I used to.

Here is what I have checked. It has spark and new plugs. All of the sensors I saw to check seem to check fine (checked while still hot) (ATS, STS, APS, OPS etc..) Took the fuel rail off and the injectors spray (not sure how much they should but they do a little) and a New battery. only thing I havent checked for a number is the fuel pressure. Im feeling like its still something to do with fuel but if I was sure I wouldnt be here typing this book. So Ill let people with more expertise tell me some more things after knowing what I have done with it so far. Is there a reason the fuel pump would only pump at 38PSI when cold? Or am I missing something else.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Stedson350v View Post
    So after reading tons of posts on what I now see is a common problem Im at a stand still with my Jet Ski. Ive read a bunch of posts and tried several things and tests on fixes and common problems. Ill start with the background of the ski, then the issue and finally what I have tested.

Bought the ski at the end of last summer for what I thought was a good deal. Had 50 hours on it (and still somewhat believe that) and is in immaculate shape because it was supposedly in a garage all its life in NH other than the short riding season. Long story long, I bought it with a bad stator and flywheel (of course he said it was just a bad battery) and I had my GP1200R to rebuild over the winter so I had a shop take on the challenge of replacing the stator/flywheel. For the few weeks I rode the ski last year it ran amazing for as long as the battery would allow. Let it sit over the winter and took it to the shop a few weeks ago. I get it back and I assume its fixed only to discover a new issue. We rode it for a bit, ran perfect, stopped it and tried to start it a few minutes later and it would never start. Finally got it going and rode around a while and went home. I tried to start it after and it wouldnt, But it has almost no issue starting once its sat for a long time except you have to hold the starter for a few seconds longer than I used to.

Here is what I have checked. It has spark and new plugs. All of the sensors I saw to check seem to check fine (checked while still hot) (ATS, STS, APS, OPS etc..) Took the fuel rail off and the injectors spray (not sure how much they should but they do a little) and a New battery. only thing I havent checked for a number is the fuel pressure. Im feeling like its still something to do with fuel but if I was sure I wouldnt be here typing this book. So Ill let people with more expertise tell me some more things after knowing what I have done with it so far. Is there a reason the fuel pump would only pump at 38PSI when cold? Or am I missing something else.
    Are you getting full rpm? I was having a hard start and it turned out to be in the sock fuel filter in the tank was clogged with soot from junk in the gas. takes 10 minutes to check by pulling out the fuel pump. but sounds like you just have the hot start issue.

Yeah when it runs it runs perfect. Great RPM and the Lie-O-Meter shows 70MPH which I assume is normal for it. Unless it usually reads more.

4. +1 by:

+1
    This is a common issue, it has to do with the Temp sensor on the exhaust manifold reading incorrectly and causing the ECM to run lean when hot and it won't start. It's a simple fix, requiring a switch and a few resistors. If you search around on here and PWC today there is the schematic for said circuit. If you can't find it let me know, I'll see if I can dig it up. I did this mod on my old 12F and it starts right up when hot now..

+1
    Actually here is the thread.. All credit goes to Spades for the schematic.

http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=291015&page=3

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue1 View Post
    This is a common issue, it has to do with the Temp sensor on the exhaust manifold reading incorrectly and causing the ECM to run lean when hot and it won't start. It's a simple fix, requiring a switch and a few resistors. If you search around on here and PWC today there is the schematic for said circuit. If you can't find it let me know, I'll see if I can dig it up. I did this mod on my old 12F and it starts right up when hot now..
    I tested that sensor while it was hot and it seemed to check good. But I guess checking wouldn't help if it's causing it to run lean while running would it. I've read that write up once but i guess as cheap as it is I'll give it a shot.

If the WTS checks good on the ohm check would it still be a problem? I have a fuel pressure tester now so Im about to check fuel pressure while cold, then run it and try it hot to see if theres a difference. If its good I saw it could possibly be leaky Injectors, While not a common problem I dont think my stator going bad was a common problem either so who knows. Maybe something got knocked around during engine removal while replacing the stator. I would like to just be able to do the switch for the WTS but if its not broken theres no reason to fix it at the moment unless it can still cause problems while it tests good.

+1
    I have a similar issue a few years back after installing a new engine. Turned out to be a bad ground. Run a secondary ground to the block from the battery and see if that fixes it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Stedson350v View Post
    If the WTS checks good on the ohm check would it still be a problem? I have a fuel pressure tester now so Im about to check fuel pressure while cold, then run it and try it hot to see if theres a difference. If its good I saw it could possibly be leaky Injectors, While not a common problem I dont think my stator going bad was a common problem either so who knows. Maybe something got knocked around during engine removal while replacing the stator. I would like to just be able to do the switch for the WTS but if its not broken theres no reason to fix it at the moment unless it can still cause problems while it tests good.

Apparently it had something to do with the mapping in the ECU. So even if the temp sensor tests somewhat ok there was still an issue with it starting. Mine was on the edge of testing ok. Once I did the repair it was fine. If you want to save a step and just try this for testing purposes, you can throw the resistor right into the connector and see if you get the hard start issue. Keep in mind that is temporary..

Just to update yall I did the WTS trick and it starts perfectly now. Every now and then it'll not want to start and I press the switch and it'll start right up. Thanks for the help and convincing me to install the switch. I can finally trust my ski again and feel comfortable turning it off to jump in the lake.

12. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information