Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    +1

You know that thing that you hate about big trucks?

Well, my organization (Owner Operator Independent Drivers Association) has produced a video about it.

We are currently running a campaign to get rid of bad laws and this is one of them (bad laws). There is a big push to put speed limiters in big trucks and it's mostly coming from the ATA (American Trucking Association) which represents the huge trucking companies who think the smaller companies/individuals have an advantage by not having these. Oh, and also by the manufacturers of the devices.

I'd rather be jet skiing Saltwater n Premix's Avatar
    +1
    I drive a 65 mph limited truck on 75 mph roads, I hate it. I get stuck behind the next slowest vehicle because it takes miles (on flat ground) to pass a truck going 62 mph. Screw the ATA

+1
    I think the limiters need to be set higher to allowed you to maintain the speed and allow to pass. But there still need to be a limiter. What do you guys thinK. How fast is to fast in a loaded 18 wheeler?

4. +1 by:

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    well..., I think 'limiters' suck.
    Although I would imagine its the perfect indicator of where people are today.., well, the younger ones.
    Apparently everyone is so well versed in 'self-control' these days that we need mechanical regulators to keep them in line.
    I would think, that if you are licensed to pilot '80 tonnes of fun', you'd be responseable for controlling it; after all you had to pass a proficency test to get your CDL, correct?
    Nope, I give you guys all the courtesy I can.
    Without the trucks, I can't go to the store and get whatever it is I am wanting/needing/coveting/etc.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
    I think the limiters need to be set higher to allowed you to maintain the speed and allow to pass. But there still need to be a limiter. What do you guys thinK. How fast is to fast in a loaded 18 wheeler?
    See, that's the thing. Ask 10 people, get 20 different opinions.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by raceneked View Post
    well..., I think 'limiters' suck.
    Although I would imagine its the perfect indicator of where people are today.., well, the younger ones.
    Apparently everyone is so well versed in 'self-control' these days that we need mechanical regulators to keep them in line.
    I would think, that if you are licensed to pilot '80 tonnes of fun', you'd be responseable for controlling it; after all you had to pass a proficency test to get your CDL, correct?
    Nope, I give you guys all the courtesy I can.
    Without the trucks, I can't go to the store and get whatever it is I am wanting/needing/coveting/etc.
    I'm with you on this. WAAAYYY too many regulations on everything these days. Just hold people accountable for their own actions........problem solved.

8. +1 by:

+1
    The best answer....no passing! Stay in the right lane. We all know the big trucks creates a lot of dead air behind it causing a "draft" effect. The big truck following gains some speed and the driver goes to pass only to stall half way there. You big rig drivers know this, or should know it!....just saying!

10. +1 by:

@JC

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    The best answer....no passing! Stay in the right lane. We all know the big trucks creates a lot of dead air behind it causing a "draft" effect. The big truck following gains some speed and the driver goes to pass only to stall half way there. You big rig drivers know this, or should know it!....just saying!
    Or the truck you are passing speeds up playing games!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by oklagp1200r View Post
    Or the truck you are passing speeds up playing games!
    Playing games??? I don't think the professionals would do that, but I could be wrong. Any speed picked up by speed limited big rigs as its being passed/passing, a side draft is created between the 2 rigs, thus a slight speed increase and stalling of trucks. Best answer is to stay in line in the right lane (for 2 lane freeways).

13. +1 by:

@JC

I'd rather be jet skiing Saltwater n Premix's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    Playing games??? I don't think the professionals would do that, but I could be wrong. Any speed picked up by speed limited big rigs as its being passed/passing, a side draft is created between the 2 rigs, thus a slight speed increase and stalling of trucks. Best answer is to stay in line in the right lane (for 2 lane freeways).
    The air draft isn't a factor, if it is its .5 mph tops. Drafting occurs only in very close proximity, when you have a guy 1/2 mile in front of you and you slowly but surely catch up to him it's because you're moving faster than him. It has much more to do with the max speed, weight of the truck, and terrain (uphill or downhill), and the driver.

For instance, when my truck is heavy and loaded I can roll past my 65 speed limiter downhill but uphill depending on the hill it will slow down slightly to a lot.

When that same truck is empty, it's light so it will hold at 65 uphill but wont roll any faster downhill.

Playing games? Yes but not with 4 wheelers like you'd think. It has more to do with them being stupid and stubborn and not showing driver to driver courtesy. Most of the time they either:
    -Just got up a hill or merged onto the highway and by the time they regain their speed you are next to them and dead even but too stubborn to let off so you can pass.
    -Werent full throttle and didn't realize it, they put it down and by the time you are next to them they have regained their speed and they are too stubborn to let off so you can pass.

I got on another drivers case about this on the radio yesterday and told him "have a little class, slow down so I can pass. Look in the mirror you're holding up traffic" He slowed down but didn't respond probably was embarrassed about being called out.

My theory is, if another truck comes up behind or next to you they got there because they are traveling faster than you. Ease up on the pedal for 10 seconds and let them go. If you catch up to them again, wait for your opening and pass them back.

Rant over.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information