Thread: Waterbox rings?

Waterbox rings?

So, took the waterbox out of the ski.. and I could hear something rattling around in there.. give it a good shake and out falls a metal ring? Wtf Im thinking?.. I can hear another still stuck in there?
    I dont experience any lack in Performance.. and the ski sounds nice.. what is it? Any issues??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ultra250xoz View Post
    So, took the waterbox out of the ski.. and I could hear something rattling around in there.. give it a good shake and out falls a metal ring? Wtf Im thinking?.. I can hear another still stuck in there?
    I dont experience any lack in Performance.. and the ski sounds nice.. what is it? Any issues??

Mine was "surgically" opened a couple of years ago by a shop here in NJ. The loose pieces removed & welded back together again. I was told the ski might be louder but have not noticed anything or experienced any performance issues. It was actually cheaper to do this than replace the waterbox.

I wouldn't worry.

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    probably one of the baffles came loose in the waterbox.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Region8Ultra250X View Post
    probably one of the baffles came loose in the water box.
    -------------------------
    Possibly True that a baffle in the water box came loose and was "rattling" about inside - yet he did say a "metal ring".

I remember when I cut my water box open to retrieve a dislodged exhaust filter - those baffles were held in there pretty good - when I was drilling holes in them to modify the drainage and dB levels.

Look see:

I distinctly remember when I replaced my buddies water box on his Ultra-LX (N/A Engine) - that the pipe had these "steel rings" at the end of the drop pipe - before it entered the rubber hose leading to the input side of the H2O Box - namely these things here:

Not certain WTF these things are even there for - as the Ultra-300's do not have such rings.

I believe the OP discovered such on an Ultra-250x - of which I do not know if these steel rings are a part of that design - so possibly - if so - these are the rings he is inferring.

Anyone know what the deal is with these "steel rings" - and I am not certain when I put my buddies ski back together if these rings were still there (I don't remember) - so do they serve a special purpose? Maybe it is ok to simply SC them when you are doing some work in that section of the exhaust? I am not so certain they are "mandatory" to retain (JMO). Anybody else - possibly with more 250x experience - maybe our friends from "Down Under" can help here.

Good Luck !!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7300002.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	411136   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7300006.jpg 
Views:	631 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	411137   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sealing_Rings.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	411138  

+1
    Spooling

These rings were the first thing I thought of when "rings" were mentioned. I have an STX 12F and just recently replaced these very rings on my ski. They are actually a Kawasaki piston ring part used for this application also. They seal against hot exhaust gasses getting past the exhaust stinger/water box connection and burning a hole in the connector hose. Incorrect installation of these rings will burn a hole in the hose in short order.

The problem here - as you've kind of mentioned - is that the 250X does not have these rings. At least to my knowledge. It would be helpful if we could see a picture of what we are talking about. Was this a used ski or was this component of the ski serviced at some point? Perhaps some idiot put these rings in there anyway, and because there are no lands on the male end of the manifold to hold the rings in place, they vibrated their way into the waterbox. Hmmmmm.....

Hopefully can see from the pictures.
    "Rings" was probably not the best choice of words, maybe small cut section of pipe. It appeares to be as per the photo of the cut waterbox. I can hear the other piece rattling in there and wont fall out..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1493257695978.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	411481Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1493257713735.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	411482

+1
    Yeah, obviously not the rings I was thinking of. Oh well, so much for my theory about idiot service mechanics....

Thread Information