Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2001 Virage TXI No spark no fuel pressure Help Please !

My buddy has a 2001 Virage TXI. No spark, No fuel pressure.

Background: He just bought the ski. Ran it for one day and it quit running. When I first saw it it was in bad shape corrosion wise. The previous owner obviously did not believe in maintenance as long as it ran, it was good. Told him to change the spark plugs because the were so rusted we had to hammer the plug socket on the plugs to break the rust off. Despite me telling him that I knew these skis were really intolerant of the wrong plugs, he let the parts counter guy talk him into different plugs. he called me up and told me the ski still would not start despite changing the plugs. I convinced him to go get the right plugs. He changed them out and the ski fired right up. The next day he took the ski to the lake and now it won't start. I read a bunch of sticky threads and thought I understand them well enough to try to help him. First thing we did was check cranking voltage. No problem. 11.2 volts cranking with plugs installed. Tried the hold the bilge switch and crank, still no spark. That about as far as we got because all of the articles I read apparently refer to carburated models. None of the color codes are the same on this ski and I can't seem to find any electrical troubleshooting threads that match what I'm looking at. On a whim I decided to check the fuel pressure at the shreader valve. While cranking the engine I read zero fuel pressure. The last thing we attempted was to locate the stop start module to bypass it by jumpering the black wire to the black/white wire as mentioned in one of the articles. When I looked in the mess of wires between the gas tank and the EMM I found what appears to be 3 modules. Not knowing which one was which I decided that we needed expert help before we broke something that wasn't already broken. That is the purpose of this long winded e-mail. I apologize for the length but I wanted to give you all as much detail as I could. Can you help. There are no dealers in our local area that will work on it. They say they can't get parts, so they don't work on them.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hooka-2 View Post
    My buddy has a 2001 Virage TXI. No spark, No fuel pressure.

Background: He just bought the ski. Ran it for one day and it quit running. When I first saw it it was in bad shape corrosion wise. The previous owner obviously did not believe in maintenance as long as it ran, it was good. Told him to change the spark plugs because the were so rusted we had to hammer the plug socket on the plugs to break the rust off. Despite me telling him that I knew these skis were really intolerant of the wrong plugs, he let the parts counter guy talk him into different plugs. he called me up and told me the ski still would not start despite changing the plugs. I convinced him to go get the right plugs. He changed them out and the ski fired right up. The next day he took the ski to the lake and now it won't start. I read a bunch of sticky threads and thought I understand them well enough to try to help him. First thing we did was check cranking voltage. No problem. 11.2 volts cranking with plugs installed. Tried the hold the bilge switch and crank, still no spark. That about as far as we got because all of the articles I read apparently refer to carburated models. None of the color codes are the same on this ski and I can't seem to find any electrical troubleshooting threads that match what I'm looking at. On a whim I decided to check the fuel pressure at the shreader valve. While cranking the engine I read zero fuel pressure. The last thing we attempted was to locate the stop start module to bypass it by jumpering the black wire to the black/white wire as mentioned in one of the articles. When I looked in the mess of wires between the gas tank and the EMM I found what appears to be 3 modules. Not knowing which one was which I decided that we needed expert help before we broke something that wasn't already broken. That is the purpose of this long winded e-mail. I apologize for the length but I wanted to give you all as much detail as I could. Can you help. There are no dealers in our local area that will work on it. They say they can't get parts, so they don't work on them.

Our 2001 TXi has white reset plugs on the electrical box just behind the engine which tripped once on us. They are external and easy to reset. I never found why they tripped which is scary but has not repeated.

+1
    There is a wealth of FICHT/DI troubleshooting information here, as well as in my signature links. Please do take advantage of the search feature on the left ("Google Site Search"). A good place to start would be "DI injector voltage while cranking", also available via google with the following link: https://www.google.com/search?q=DI+i...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Quote Originally Posted by Jetskijunky View Post
    Our 2001 TXi has white reset plugs on the electrical box just behind the engine which tripped once on us. They are external and easy to reset. I never found why they tripped which is scary but has not repeated.

Checked both breakers and both fuses inside the box with a multi meter. All good

+1
    If the ski has been neglected as you indicated it probably hasn't had the repair done to the fuel pressure regulator. Although that is not causing your no spark issue it should be done before the ski is run again. Then as HiPeRcO suggested, try checking the stator voltages while cranking. These machines often have issues with magnets parting company with the flywheel and with EMM failures.

i feel your pain as far as the dealer goes. Mine all but hung up on me when I mentioned watercraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Mockingee View Post
    If the ski has been neglected as you indicated it probably hasn't had the repair done to the fuel pressure regulator.
    Someone please enlighten me on the fuel regulator repair?

+1
    Polaris Ficht Fuel Injected Engines

If this link works it is here, as well as tons of other useful info.
    Last edited by K447; 04-19-2017 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Do not use the sites:... links, use the provided shorturl links please

Had a little time last night to run some tests. Still no joy. Bypassed the 503 stop start module still no spark. Measured for 20 volts at the injectors at the white/red wire 0 volts. Measured the CPS got 185 ohms.

Did find the 8 pin connector on the back of the EMM had some corrosion on pins 1 and 8. Did not find any voltage on pins 2 and 7 (45v)

Two questions: 1)I see 12 volts on pins 1 and 8 now static but my voltage drops below 10.6 while cranking at the pins but stays above 10.6 (actually 11.2) at the battery while cranking. Is this normal? From the schematic I wouldn't think that there would be a variance between the 2 points.

2)If the voltage is dropping below 10.6 at pins 1 and 8 would this explain why I'm not seeing 45 volts at pins 2 and 7?

Tonight I was going to pull the 12 pin connector and ohm out the coils on the stator.

Any input would be appreciated

+1
    Do the ohm test on the stator but that will only tell you whether or not there are broken wires in the stator coils. Check the stator voltage while cranking. That will tell you if the system is producing the proper current.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hooka-2 View Post
    Had a little time last night to run some tests. Still no joy. Bypassed the 503 stop start module still no spark. Measured for 20 volts at the injectors at the white/red wire 0 volts. Measured the CPS got 185 ohms.

Did find the 8 pin connector on the back of the EMM had some corrosion on pins 1 and 8. Did not find any voltage on pins 2 and 7 (45v)

Two questions: 1)I see 12 volts on pins 1 and 8 now static but my voltage drops below 10.6 while cranking at the pins but stays above 10.6 (actually 11.2) at the battery while cranking. Is this normal? From the schematic I wouldn't think that there would be a variance between the 2 points.

2)If the voltage is dropping below 10.6 at pins 1 and 8 would this explain why I'm not seeing 45 volts at pins 2 and 7?

Tonight I was going to pull the 12 pin connector and ohm out the coils on the stator.

Any input would be appreciated
    FICHT systems don't necessarily need 10.6 or above at the battery, for proper starting, although anything less than 10.6 on any battery, during cranking isn't good.

Make sure you are doing the tests correctly:

Measure red/white wire for 20 volts or more during cranking of engine. Post your results, Less than or more than ~20 volts can be issues with stator or EMM
    Measure the same red/white wire for 45 volts while running only.
    Red wires at EMM will measure charging voltage while running. (13.5v or more)

Red/white wires will always show 0 volts until you are cranking/running the engine.

This is an important diagnostic for FICHT engines.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information