Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Back again with 2002 TXI issues

I posted a while back about my TXI that would run perfect for twenty minutes then start to cut out and die. It would start right back up and run a couple minutes and then cut out again. Eventually it would always start but it never would run well enough to even get on plane. After it sat for two-three hours the pattern would start all over again. Ive replaced CPS, it has 24 psi fuel pressure all the time. Regulator has been modified to stay on and not fall off. New gel cell battery, All grounds checked ,45 volts on red/white injector wires when running. Voltage bleeds off slowly after engine is shut down.All new fuel lines and correct spark plugs. It has good fire at the plugs. Volt meter will show 13.5 volts at battery when running so its charging.Has good fuel. Dash display works. Bilge pump works. Has no restrictions throughout the cooling system including the EMM. Doesnt seem to run hot. There is NO check engine light. I have ohmed out the stator and all was well. I even took off the flywheel and heated up the stator with a hair dryer to simulate a hot engine and the values did not change.Ive done all the things that I could find to do to it on this forum and am stumped. Next I sent the EMM to DFI and they Sent it back to me and said they could not get it to fail. Nothing wrong with it. So I put it back on and now it will start and idle perfect all day but now its very sluggish and won't rev up without sputtering and missing . Runs very rough. Its still cold where I live and this is while its on the trailer but theres no way it would run on the water. Any ideas?

Charleston, South Carolina, United States
    +1
    Replace spark plugs and run a jumper cable from negative on battery to bare metal on the engine to rule out grounds. 13.5 isn't really that high, should be near 14v. Whats the resting voltage of the battery?

+1
    Sound like you have done a very thorough job of checking everything, with one exception: Try a new TPS (Throttle position sensor).

Regarding the battery voltage, the EMM runs off power generated by the stator/flywheel, so charging voltage is not likely going to cause running issues.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    check for the right spark plugs,if memory serves there were some of theses where the stator mounting bolts bottomed out before the stator was tight.caused a lot of missfires and sputtering

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by shawndak07 View Post
    ... run a jumper cable from negative on battery to bare metal on the engine to rule out grounds. ...
    There are multiple connections between the electrical wire harness and the engine case. All of them need to be in good condition. There is one near the ignition coils IIRC.

The battery negative cable is mainly needed for cranking/starting the engine. If there is any doubt remove and clean the engine end of the battery negative cable. And the grounding bolt, bolt hole threads, and other black wires also grounded at that bolt. Reassemble, then confirm zero ohms from cable battery end to engine block before reconnecting battery.

The battery negative post is NOT a ground, it is merely a connection to the engine. The engine itself is the only central 'ground' in a watercraft.

Thanks for the replys . The ground you are referring to has been thoroughly cleaned and reassembled just like you mentioned. Checked with meter also. It's a good electrical connection. This ski has had a another TPS installed from a properly running ski. Would a bad TPS cause this?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HiPeRcO View Post
    Sound like you have done a very thorough job of checking everything, with one exception: Try a new TPS (Throttle position sensor).
    Quote Originally Posted by jdjd View Post
    This ski has had a another TPS installed from a properly running ski. Would a bad TPS cause this?

+1
    i had one that acted the same way.it turned out to be the fuel pump.it would run great for a while then die off.let it sit for a while and it would start right back up.have you rode it with your pressure tester hooked when it started to act up

Yes I have done that. It holds right at 24 psi all the time. the fuel pump is new . Its too bad I can't figure this out as its a great fun ski. The odd part is that it won't even run on the trailer since I had the EMM checked out at DFI.

bump

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information