Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Broken Supercharger shaft on SVHO

A buddy emailed me this morning to let me know that the supercharger shaft on his GP1800 came apart last night. He said it would probably be a good idea to have mine welded. I'm not sure if this is the same supercharger as on previous SVHO models, and if this has been a problem. A "heads up" nonetheless.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by outnumbered View Post
    A buddy emailed me this morning to let me know that the supercharger shaft on his GP1800 came apart last night.

He said it would probably be a good idea to have mine welded.

I'm not sure if this is the same supercharger as on previous SVHO models, and if this has been a problem. A "heads up" nonetheless.
    What exactly came apart? The gear on the shaft?

Was this engine stock (stock RPM) or modified?

+1
    From what I understand, the gear on the shaft. His ski has a tune and an impeller; probably turning around 8700.

+1
    Sadly, I think this happened to my GP1800 today. What happened is starting in 2015 HKS, the maker of the supercharger, started using a pressed on gear on the shaft. The gear can spin on the shaft causing low boost/low RPM issues.

The fix is to either weld the gear to the shaft to keep it from spinning, or upgrade to the Riva, or R&D shaft. I am upgrading mine to the Riva shaft this week. Problem solved!

RIVA FZ & FX SVHO/SHO Supercharger Shaft Upgrade Kit

Our Super-Duty GEN-3 Supercharger Shaft Kit provides the ultimate in reliability for high boost applications. Kit features a revolutionary hydraulic...
    RY17040-UK-6S5-3 $494.95

R & D Yamaha Billet Supercharger Shaft Kit

R&D's new High Performance Billet Supercharger Shaft eliminates the weak design features of the OEM and aftermarket HKS supercharger shafts. After...
    612-25020 $339.95

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    Sadly, I think this happened to my GP1800 today. What happened is starting in 2015 HKS, the maker of the supercharger, started using a pressed on gear on the shaft. The gear can spin on the shaft causing low boost/low RPM issues.

The fix is to either weld the gear to the shaft to keep it from spinning, or upgrade to the Riva, or R&D shaft. I am upgrading mine to the Riva shaft this week. Problem solved!

RIVA FZ & FX SVHO/SHO Supercharger Shaft Upgrade Kit

Our Super-Duty GEN-3 Supercharger Shaft Kit provides the ultimate in reliability for high boost applications. Kit features a revolutionary hydraulic...
    RY17040-UK-6S5-3 $494.95

R & D Yamaha Billet Supercharger Shaft Kit

R&D's new High Performance Billet Supercharger Shaft eliminates the weak design features of the OEM and aftermarket HKS supercharger shafts. After...
    612-25020 $339.95

So when the gear spins on the shaft does it do any other damage to the clutch or supercharger?

So what RPM where you running and how much boost when it happened?

Still waiting to try my machine we got dumped on with a massive amount of snow 2 weeks ago (48" in two storms :s) so it delays me another month I'd say.

Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by unclemd View Post
    So when the gear spins on the shaft does it do any other damage to the clutch or supercharger?

So what RPM where you running and how much boost when it happened?

Still waiting to try my machine we got dumped on with a massive amount of snow 2 weeks ago (48" in two storms :s) so it delays me another month I'd say.

Thanks

In my case it didn't cause any damage. The gear simply spins on the shaft which of course causes a low boost/low RPM issue. My ski was turning 8650-8700 RPM all day long and after my son blasted across a choppy lake it would only turn 8200 as the gear started spinning on the shaft.

7. +1 by:

+1
    Damn.. That sucks. I thought the 2017 were good to go. Makes no sense why they would press the gear on. 2014 shafts were the best ones. I know people running ET17 wheels on them,
    I had R&D in my blue ski and worked great with ET18 and 9300 rpm seeing 23 lbs boost. Seems many folks run the Riva one though due to single bearing and extra oiling.
    Last edited by Gus13letter; 04-18-2017 at 08:42 PM.

9. +1 by:

+1
    My ski was turning 8650-8700 RPM all day long and after my son blasted across a choppy lake it would only turn 8200 as the gear started spinning on the shaft.
    So what you are really saying is your son makes a better R&D test rider. Okay, you stick to testing ceramic coatings on paint and let your son do "man stuff" testing

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanfish View Post
    So what you are really saying is your son makes a better R&D test rider. Okay, you stick to testing ceramic coatings on paint and let your son do "man stuff" testing

LMAO!! Yes if want something torture tested he is your guy

+1
    In my case it didn't cause any damage. The gear simply spins on the shaft which of course causes a low boost/low RPM issue. My ski was turning 8650-8700 RPM all day long and after my son blasted across a choppy lake it would only turn 8200 as the gear started spinning on the shaft.
    Does it drop to 8200 or never reach your old max rpm period?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information