Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Angry Intermittent starting fault.

Hi guys first post for me, i'm new to this world of Jet ski's " mid life crisis"
    Brought a 2nd hand FX HO 2015 model two months ago, with 25 hrs on it.
    The first couple of times it worked flawlessly.
    But now i have this Intermittent starting issue. It turns over and takes about 10 sec to start.
    It only seems to happen when its been run and then sits for a bit "I use it for fishing".
    After the second time it happened i took it to the dealer,he downloaded the ECU info and said the battery had dropped to 8 volts on start up and Yamaha suggested a new battery. " every time i tested it didn't drop below 10v"
    Easy fix i thought, so they installed a new battery and off i go.
    Next day i traveled 5 km anchored up for 30 min " same fault" straight back to the boat ramp i go.
    Yesterday i thought i'd give it another shot, it started 5 times in a row and then it done it again.
    1st time i cranked it for 3-4 seconds " no fire"
    2nd time 6 seconds " no fire"
    3rd time 10 seconds ish and it fired then ran rough for a second, then it was fine.

All i know is this
    I can start it at home and it will start first time every time, but on the water it's not as consistent.
    Its not a good feeling being in the middle of Croc country with a Motor that may or may not start.

Its still under factory warranty, but i was hoping someone may have had the same issue.

I contacted the previous owner and he said it never gave him any issues.

Help !!

+1
    It can be a common issue with the 1800 engine. If it starts to happen on one of mine i put a new set of spark plugs in and of course always keep the battery charged up. Only happens about once every 50 hours or so then but always starts.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    I have a 2016 VXR that does it every so often....It happened last year about 4 times in 94 hours....Seems to do it after riding then sitting between 15-30 mins...Try it a coupla times...Let it sit for a minute or 2 fires up...Stumbles a few seconds then good to go...

Cheers Fussy1, I hope that's the issue, thanks for the fast reply

Aquaholic6801 Yep bang on exact same thing hopefully its the plugs like Fussy1 suggested. It will be nice touch the starter again without praying first

+1
    I get it every once in a while on my Sho, happened on my FZR and it happens on my FX, randomly just turns over but doesnt start, my plugs are new (6 hours last time it happened) it always starts after though. I don't think much of it

+1
    My mates VXR started doing it a couple of weeks ago. New plugs and hasn't done it since.

Well swapped the plugs out but it's still happening,,, what i did notice is that it only seems to happen after idling for along time or in no wake mode,, eg trawling. i'm normally pretty easy on it, but yesterday i went WOT for a few 2-3 min bursts and it only played up once today and again at home on the flush, had been idling for 20 at the boat ramp waiting to bring it in.
    I'm assuming most people that ride skis, probably don't putt around for hours otherwise maybe it would be a more common issue.
    Anyway if i find out what it is i'll let you guys know.

+1
    My Fz did that a few times early on
    I found a leaking injector
    It was fine first start
    Or if starting straight up again after switching off
    But leave it a couple of minutes on the water and it struggled to fire
    It made me nervous about switching it off

+1
    I remember my brothers new SHO done it and it was a pinched fuel tank breather hose. Be worth a look and take the fuel cap off when it does it to see how much pressure is in the tank.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information