+1

1996 Seadoo GTi No Start after sitting for a day

I have a 96 GTI. It sat for two years. At first it wouldn't start. Then I manualy primed the carbs and it fired up. (Yes fresh gas in tank) I ran it for a 20 seconds in my driveway. Shut it off, come back an hour later and it fires right up. (Also fuel filter/water separator is nice and clean)
    Here is the problem, when I try to start it after it sits for a day or two it won't start. It needs the carbs primed, then it will start. Once it starts it will continue to start for the rest of the day. Let it sit for a couple days and no start.
    Anyone ever see this problem? Any ideas? Thanks

+1
    Have you replaced all of the grey fuel lines and cleaned the carbs? Have you tested the fuel selector for leaks or blockages? Have you checked your fuel water separator for a leaky oring?

Sounds like you need a fuel system cleanout or you are going to be replacing your engine... If it's having a hard time priming up and starting it's never going to deliver enough fuel wide open and it's going to run lean and melt your pistons. A little bit of preventative maintenance on the fuel system can double or triple the life of these engines.

If you had enthanol gas in the tank before it sat for 2 years id say the lines are toast, the carb filters are full, the diaphragms are hard, and the needles could be sticky or leaking too... Happy wrenching!!

If you are not sure on the carb work take them off and get someone to go over them that has experience with Mikuni carbs on Seadoos... motorcycle carb guys typically don't know how seadoo carbs work, these have to be leak and pop off tested.

Lots of threads on fuel system work, seadoomanuals.net is also a great resource.

While you are working check your exhaust system for leaks, any black or wet areas on the pipe or engine are signs of leaks.
    Last edited by wkuadam07; 04-18-2017 at 07:32 AM.

+1
    Thanks for the info. The fuel lines have been replaced. Fuel filter/ water separator is cleaned out. I will have have to pull the carbs and clean them. I'm also thinking of getting a primer kit installed on it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Harsax13 View Post
    Thanks for the info. The fuel lines have been replaced. Fuel filter/ water separator is cleaned out. I will have have to pull the carbs and clean them. I'm also thinking of getting a primer kit installed on it.
    Primer kits are a waste of time and an added point of failure... I prefer a choke to a primer on a stock ski any day of the week. The only time i prefer a primer kit is if the carb is bored, jetted, and aftermarket flame arestors are used and that would be very silly on a 96 GTI.

+1
    Thanks for the advice. I will start by cleaning carbs and see if that does the trick.

Thread Information