+1

2017 Kawasaki STX-15F

So I just had to see what all of the "excitement" was about concerning the Kawasaki STX-15F.

I never even rode one - yet that will change very soon.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010018.jpg 
Views:	3511 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	410670  

+1
    Congratulations on your new Ski!. Let us know what you think, especially compared to your others.

3. +1 by:

+1
    I like those wheel chocks. .

+1
    I ride out of Fort Myers and bought a new '15 15F from Destination in Punta Gorda. Did you keep your 300? I'm curious to see what you think of the performance of the 15F in the Gulf.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pro1200 View Post
    I'm curious to see what you think of the performance of the 15F in the Gulf.
    ---------------------------------
    I haven't taken it out yet and it was a good thing as my ride pre-checks showed the engine oil way UP on the dip stick.

Thinking maybe something was wrong - I decided to "suck" all of the oil out of the crankcase. Much to my surprise I measured ~ 11 quarts that came out.

I put 5 back in and measured on the dip stick - and it was "perfect". Imagine that

I am certain the Dealership told some young kid to pull it out of the crate, put acid in the battery, put oil in it - and fire it up. Probably not knowing they put oil in them when they are assembled in Lincoln, NE - he added ~ 5 quarts and called it a day.

Think I should notify the dealership - to save another new Kawasaki Owner a similar incident?

I am not expecting all that much from this ski - as it has 1/2 the horsepower, and certainly will not be able to "plow" through and "mash" the choppy waters of the Gulf of Mexico - like the Ultra-300x can and certainly did.

Heck with a ski that does 74 MPH in the smooth - sometimes I could not keep that thing "hammered" in the rough stuff - and a couple of times - almost "face planted" to the bars from arm pump fatigue.

I know the STX-15F should prove to be a fun machine, more nimble, more practical and less "temperamental" than it's Supercharged Bigger Brother.

If I am not "totally" satisfied with my purchase - there's always 2018

+1
    I would certainly say something about the oil overfill - The person who made that mistake should be made aware of the proper prep procedures.

I have about 7 hours on my new 15F and am extremely happy with my purchase. I had a chance to ride a friend's 2016 RXT-X-260 in moderate lake chop and I must admit that what would have been an "oh shit" moment on the 15F was a non-event on the 260. It's ability to cut through rollers was impressive. However I did not like how massive the ski felt - I was keenly aware that I was riding a very large machine with a massive amount of power. It didn't have too much more pull than the 15F but it just kept on pulling... and pulling.... and pulling.....

The experience on the 15F is quite different, The ski disappears from your awareness and feels more like an extension of you if that makes any sense.

Yesterday I ran across someone with a new GP1800. We both had similar hole shots and both ski's seem to have similar performance up to about 35 mph... after that.... well...... that's one fast ski! Both the GP and STX seemed to have similar handling characteristics, and the GP certainly did not eat up the chop like the S3 or Ultra hulls. We both had trouble with the pump staying hooked up in the washing machine lake chop at higher speeds.

I am not an advanced rider and am well into my 40's so the 15F still seems for me the perfect ski. I know that I am still well below the its abilities and I feel like I have room to grow into it. I've never been a straight line speed guy, so I've been especially pleased with how it handles, so much so that I think that buoys will be in my near future.

One big thing I did notice, the 15F is loud!!!! A good loud though, sounds like it has an aftermarket exhaust.

After re-watching this video, I think it's time i get a helmet!

Last edited by DTLV; 04-16-2017 at 09:02 PM. Reason: add link to video

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DTLV View Post
    I would certainly say something about the oil overfill - The person who made that mistake should be made aware of the proper prep procedures.
    -----------------------------
    I agree - and feel that is the "correct" thing to do.

I had a chance to ride a friend's 2016 RXT-X-260 in moderate lake chop... However I did not like how massive the ski felt - I was keenly aware that I was riding a very large machine with a massive amount of power.
    ------------------------------
    My 1st Ultra-300x impression was the same - yet after I rode one, and grabbed a "handful" of throttle - that BIG feeling quickly went away - especially in the BIG waterways that I am accustomed to riding in.

I have about 7 hours on my new 15F and am extremely happy with my purchase.... After re-watching this video, I think it's time i get a helmet!
    I am under the impression that they are a VERY reliable machine. If my memory serves me correctly - a guy up in TN put 600+ hours on one - and probably had to separate himself from it - simply due to the need for "something different". Sure says a lot for Kawasaki Reliability & Quality.

You should weigh both sides of that "helmet concept" as I believe it is good if you are racing closed course and there are other objects that you have a high probability of hitting (other skis) - yet recreation riding - probably best to do without - as the helmet could act like a "bucket" and possibly stretch your neck - or even worse - in the event of a "dis-mount".

I will probably "splash" it this upcoming weekend. I checked the tightness of many hose clamps, made certain the battery terminals were tight, measured battery potential, pulled the plugs and put some anti-seize on the threads, and just some other things. I also did some adjustments to the Triton Trailer so it "fits" better.

From the looks of the scenery - you must ride some lake out in the South West - maybe AZ or NV? One guy on teh BB here sent me some pics of him riding on Lake Powell - such an amazing and seemingly beautiful place there.

Good Luck !!!

+1

I have about 7 hours on my new 15F and am extremely happy with my purchase. I had a chance to ride a friend's 2016 RXT-X-260 in moderate lake chop and I must admit that what would have been an "oh shit" moment on the 15F was a non-event on the 260. It's ability to cut through rollers was impressive. However I did not like how massive the ski felt - I was keenly aware that I was riding a very large machine with a massive amount of power. It didn't have too much more pull than the 15F but it just kept on pulling... and pulling.... and pulling.....

The experience on the 15F is quite different, The ski disappears from your awareness and feels more like an extension of you if that makes any sense.

Yesterday I ran across someone with a new GP1800. We both had similar hole shots and both ski's seem to have similar performance up to about 35 mph... after that.... well...... that's one fast ski! Both the GP and STX seemed to have similar handling characteristics, and the GP certainly did not eat up the chop like the S3 or Ultra hulls. We both had trouble with the pump staying hooked up in the washing machine lake chop at higher speeds.

I am not an advanced rider and am well into my 40's so the 15F still seems for me the perfect ski. I know that I am still well below the its abilities and I feel like I have room to grow into it. I've never been a straight line speed guy, so I've been especially pleased with how it handles, so much so that I think that buoys will be in my near future.

One big thing I did notice, the 15F is loud!!!! A good loud though, sounds like it has an aftermarket exhaust.

After re-watching this video, I think it's time i get a helmet!

your comments about the GO1800 make sense. It has the VX Hull which would more comparable to the STX hull and not the Ultra or G3. The FX Hull is the bigger hull. The 1800 is a pretty small ski.

+1
    Well, DTLV, it looks like you had a good time! Personally, I keep my mouth closed when riding--don't like eating bugs. Ear plugs sure help with the noise. Glance behind you before turning!

Thread Information