Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Anyone tow two skis with a 4runner?

My wife has a Rav4 and were looking at getting a 4Runner for 4x4 and so I don't have to use my work truck to tow the skis. I currently tow with a 2011 Tundra and am wondering if I'll feel as confident in towing with the 4runner. I know it has a 5000lb rating and is capable but I'm interested in hear real world towing info. Thanks!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by cxk View Post
    My wife has a Rav4 and were looking at getting a 4Runner for 4x4 and so I don't have to use my work truck to tow the skis. I currently tow with a 2011 Tundra and am wondering if I'll feel as confident in towing with the 4runner. I know it has a 5000lb rating and is capable but I'm interested in hear real world towing info. Thanks!
    A double PWC trailer fully loaded might weigh a tad over 2000 pounds. This is not an extreme trailer load and even many regular cars can tow such a trailer with little trouble.

For several years I towed a double Triton trailer with 2 three seater PWC. The car was rated for towing substantially less trailer weight than the actual weight of that loaded trailer, yet it worked just fine. Car was a 2005 Malibu Maxx, nothing special front wheel drive. Only upgrade was AirLift 1000 airbags for the rear springs.

The 4-Runner is rated for much heavier trailers than a double watercraft trailer, should be no trouble at all. I have towed that same Triton trailer with a 4-Runner for several hundred miles, no issues at all. Also towed a loaded 12 foot uhaul box trailer, which is 2000 pounds empty.

Even a Rav4 could do the job, especially if the trailer has brakes. Just make sure the trailer tongue weight is sufficient.

For most cases the limiting factor is not pulling power but stopping power and tow vehicle ability to handle the trailer during emergency lane change maneuvers at highways speeds.

Last edited by K447; 04-13-2017 at 10:19 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    A double PWC trailer fully loaded might weigh a tad over 2000 pounds. This is not an extreme trailer load and even many regular cars can tow such a trailer with little trouble.

For several years I towed a double Triton trailer with two 3 seater PWC. The car was rated for towing substantially less trailer weight than the actual weight of that loaded trailer, yet it worked just fine. Car was a 2005 Malibu Maxx, nothing special front wheel drive. Only upgrade was AirLift 1000 airbags for the rear springs.

The 4-Runner is rated for much heavier trailers than a double watercraft trailer, should be no trouble at all. Even a Rav4 could do the job.
    I guess I'll give it a shot. I figured I was just being paranoid about it but I tow constantly but its always with a big truck. I didnt want to feel unsure of the stopping power and all that. My Rav4 could never tow my skis lol, its one of the newer models that only have a 1500lb rating. My skis with the trailer weigh about 2200-2300lbs so that would definitely be too much for the Rav4

+1
    That Maxx was only rated for 1,000 pounds, so I was at 200% of the rating. The longer wheelbase helped with stability at speed, it was just not a problem.

Searching online a little, apparently the trailer weight rating for the RAV 4 varies. Hybrid model is rated for more weight? And in Europe there are two weight ratings, with much higher weight allowed if the trailer has brakes.

It would not surprise me if the RAV 4 needed supplemental airbags for the rear springs to limit the suspension sag from tongue weight. But otherwise it may well be able to handle the trailer.

Of course the 4-Runner has much higher capability.

I suspect a lot of people over estimate how much vehicle they need to properly tow a watercraft trailer, even a double.

+1
    Weird the Hybrid has a higher rating, maybe the electric motor helps out the gas so it can technically tow more? We have a 2013 Rav4. I would have liked the hybrid just for the fuel savings but it apparently adds a "battery bump" behind the rear seats. This would normally be fine but my wife and I frequently sleep in the car on road trips lol. The 4Runner should be able to tow the skis and we can still sleep in it which would be great. I also love that 400 watt outlet in the back to charge the stuff while driving since we almost never stay in hotels on trips.

+1
    How about 3 skis with a lifted 2007 Tacoma?
    I also have a 2008 4Runner that I use to tow all 3 with. I pull 2 all the time with no problem.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MB 2016 131.jpg 
Views:	1328 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	410652  

+1
    ... 400 watt outlet in the back to charge the stuff while driving ...
    I also installed a 400+ watt inverter in that Malibu. It was located under the rear seat, accessible from just below the front edge of the rear seat cushion. Tucked out of the way yet convenient for access from front seats or rear, charging laptops and whatever.

Buy a high quality DC to AC inverter and have it installed by someone who knows what they are doing. These are not expensive, even a well made inverter. The hard part is finding one with a quiet cooling fan.
    Last edited by K447; 04-13-2017 at 11:08 PM.

+1
    The 4Runner has one built in thankfully. I probably wouldnt spend the money to put it in our current car but it will definitely be nice.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    How about 3 skis with a lifted 2007 Tacoma?
    I also have a 2008 4Runner that I use to tow all 3 with. I pull 2 all the time with no problem.

Nice! Thanks for the input.

+1
    Nice! Thanks for the input.
    Towed 2- 3 seaters for years with a 4runner with the 4.0 v6. It hardly knows it's back there. My 05 had a truck frame, don't know the configuration of the new ones. The wife is still driving it with 170K on it.

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information