+1

How to remove and replace a SC pulley wheel from the Ultra 300/310

One of the most exciting new performance upgrades for our ski other than a map tune is a pulley upgrade either a lighter one a smaller diameter or both but anyone who has tried to remove the stock pulley it can be quite a challenge and you don't want to do any damage to the SC housing keeping in mind since the stock pulley is basic steel you will have rust regardless how you the care and will be severe in Salt water riding so I've removed and upgraded twice so here goes...

What you'll need to move the old wheel is the following...

1) penetrating oil 2) wrench with 5mm hex fitting3) pulley wheel strap 4) small sledge hammer 5) long or short chisel 6) gloves

to be continued....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	410593  

+1
    First you'll need to drop belt off the SC pulley wheel either with compressing the Spring or removing the spring please refer to your Service manual. The WB will have to be moved and drop exhaust pipe removed and out of the way so the exhaust pipe will have to be loosened , the orange hose should be put aside making it easier to work and the IC might have to moved out of the way but not removed completely..

+1
    Alright first spray around the 6 bolts and around the snout also put the red spray pipe and go behind the wheel (photo1) , let it soak in for a few minutes. Take your pulley strap and with your gloves prevent the wheel from spinning and remove the 6 bolts(photo2).

Now find that gap between the back of the wheel and the SC housing I found that space as shown in photo3 to be perfect and slide your chisel in between and GENTLY tap tap tap with sledgehammer, you can use a regular hammer but you would need to be more
    forceful and a chance for damage , btw since you'll be upgrading to a new SC wheel you can go ahead and damage the old one....

to be continued...

Views:	43 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	410599   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	40 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	410602   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	47 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	410601  
    Last edited by jetdave56; 04-13-2017 at 05:08 PM.

+1
    Once you wedged the chisel between the back of the wheel and the housing you can try to pry it out by moving it left - right right-left (pic2)to see if the wheel moves out a little bit just a 1/4- 1/2 inch that's all you'll need as your almost there ....

Now you can put the chisel behind the wheel from over the engine like in the picture 2 and give it a good whack pushing it forward towards the back of the ski and your not hitting the housing, should fall out right there(pic3)....��

To to be continued..

Views:	46 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	410623   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	45 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	410624   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	36 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	410625  
    Last edited by jetdave56; 04-13-2017 at 05:11 PM.

+1
    Replacing with an Aftermarket or OEM SC pulley wheel is pretty straight forward but I'll show how to avoid any frustration and time consuming installation to complete the job...

Heres the tools you "might" need to install ..
    1) wrench with 5mm hex socket
    2) pulley wheel strap
    3) hammer
    4)4-6 " block of 2x2 wood ( soft)
    5) 6 4 inch nails
    6) red locktite

Views:	22 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	410640  

+1
    There are 3-4 aftermarket companies making either lighter or smaller or both SC pulley wheels for acceleration or a little more boost and top speed,R &D ,K speed and FoksMoto and Farthing though they might have discontinued..

I went this time with FoksMoto (Antonuk) and did not need the hammer and wood as the center hole for the snout was slightly larger that stock so no need to tap the wheel on , with K Speed I needed to tap it on fully before I put the bolts on .To match the 6 bolt holes on the new SC wheel with the holes on the SC housing I used nails as guide pins as once you had 2-3 bolts in the other holes will have lined up ...

Now just take out one nail at a time and put in stock bolts with locktite by hand until there all in then tighten ,use the strap to hold wheel still as you tighten... And that's it

If you have any Qs or suggestions feel free

Views:	31 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	410644   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	39 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	410642   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	31 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	410643  

+1
    Not that I have a supercharged ski but have delt with many other blowers and "pressed"on pulleys in the automotive and marine industry. Get or make a pulley puller and ditch the prying chisel effect. Someone just posted they broke a snout on their supercharger. I made one for the 03-04 Cobra mustangs years back when I was doing a lot of pulley swaps. For this application it does not look hard to make and they do not seem to have a real tight press fit. The 2 extra holes I see in the stock pulley are most likely for the puller studs. Again, I never had a jet ski supercharger apart of up close but it does look pretty simple to make one.

+1
    Believe me I tried first with a pulley wheel puller and with 100 salt water hrs and being standard steel no way it budged the second pulley I swapped was a little easier to swap with the Chiesel ...

I'm nowhere near the snout as you tap the chiesel again just tapping but thanks for your insight , there's always a few ways to get things done

Thread Information