Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    driveumhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Cape Copral, FL
    Posts
    1,480
    +1
    4

    Lightning fast....please read this!

    OK, not really but I wanted to grab your attention on this...

    After riding supercharged Doo's for years and now I am over the age of 50 (52 to be exact) I am now considering on purchasing a Yami VX Deluxe. Yep, you read this correctly, a 2014 VX Deluxe with only 9 hours. Please continue reading. I would really like to get some feedback from you guys/gals...

    I will only be riding this ski on calm days around SW FL. I don't need to go fast I only want to ride to some of the barrier islands and take it all in. This will be my first Yamaha so my questions are-

    1. Is the VX hull a dry ride or wet ride?
    2. How does this compare to the FX hull?
    3. Will this be comfortable enough for two riders and have ample storage?
    4. Range? I would like to get 100 miles per tank if possible.
    5. How do you change your screen name? lol

    I am also considering a 2015 VXR with 37 hours which would cost me $2000 more.

    THANK YOU!
    Last edited by driveumhard; 04-12-2017 at 01:31 PM. Reason: sp


  2. #2
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    38,676
    +1
    1,635
    Quote Originally Posted by driveumhard View Post
    ...
    5. How do you change your screen name?
    ...
    Send a PM request to Green Hulk with your before and after usernames.

    Wait for a response.

  3. #3
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    38,676
    +1
    1,635
    Quote Originally Posted by driveumhard View Post
    ... considering on purchasing a Yami VX Deluxe. Yep, you read this correctly, a 2014 VX Deluxe ...
    Note that Yamaha changed the hull design in 2015 for VXR/VXS and a couple of other VX models with the 1800 non-supercharged motor. Quite different from the pre-2015 VX hulls.

    Not all of the VX models made since 2014 have the newer hull.

    So you have three hull types to select between. 2015+ new VX hull, old style VX hull, and the FX non-supercharged models.

    The FX will handle passenger load better and will cruise better in choppy waters. The new design 2015 VX_ hull is also fairly good, but fewer reports on how it handles with a passenger load.

  4. #4
    driveumhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Cape Copral, FL
    Posts
    1,480
    +1
    4
    Thank you! I am also looking at a 2015 VXR with 37 hours which I know is faster. Will this hull have a better ride than the VX?

    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Note that Yamaha changed the hull design in 2015 for VXR/VXS and a couple of other VX models with the 1800 non-supercharged motor. Quite different from the pre-2015 VX hulls.

    Not all of the VX models made since 2014 have the newer hull.

    So you have three hull types to select between. 2015+ new VX hull, old style VX hull, and the FX non-supercharged models.

    The FX will handle passenger load better and will cruise better in choppy waters. The new design 2015 VX_ hull is also fairly good, but fewer reports on how it handles with a passenger load.
    Last edited by driveumhard; 04-13-2017 at 08:13 AM. Reason: sp

  5. #5
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    38,676
    +1
    1,635
    Quote Originally Posted by driveumhard View Post
    ... I am also looking at a ______ ...
    My advice would be to select the model and hull generation that fits your needs, then hunt for a reasonable price on that specific model.

    Don't start with whatever happens to be for sale today, this week, nearby, etc.

    Start with determining which model is likely to be the best fit for your needs, THEN look for just that model.

    Getting a lower price on a different model that is not as good a fit for your needs is just not a good deal, for you.

    The FX hulls have more storage than the VX hulls, IIRC. And a drier ride, overall. I think all the newer models with 1.8 liter engine have the large 18ish gallon fuel tank, so plenty of cruise range. Actual Cruise control is only on one VX Cruiser model. Also on the FX models?

    Depending on how tall each rider is the tall seat bolsters can be a good fit or be rather annoying if you end up sitting on top of the seat cushion bump.


  6. #6
    driveumhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Cape Copral, FL
    Posts
    1,480
    +1
    4
    Good advise here! I would really like an FX HO however a clean one is really hard to find so I am looking at other models that could work. My budget is around 8K. So far I found the 2014 VX Deluxe for 6K and the 2015 VXR for 8K. Both have warranties. Of the two I would assume the VXR has a better/dryer hull?
    Since I have never owned a Yami I am relying on my friends here on GH. My search continues...

    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    My advice would be to select the model and hull generation that fits your needs, then hunt for a reasonable price on that specific model.

    Don't start with whatever happens to be for sale today, this week, nearby, etc.

    Start with determining which model is likely to be the best fit for your needs, THEN look for just that model.

    Getting a lower price on a different model that is not as good a fit for your needs is just not a good deal, for you.

    The FX hulls have more storage than the VX hulls, IIRC. And a drier ride, overall. I think all the newer models with 1.8 liter engine have the large 18ish gallon fuel tank, so plenty of cruise range. Actual Cruise control is only on one VX Cruiser model. Also on the FX models?

    Depending on how tall each rider is the tall seat bolsters can be a good fit or be rather annoying if you end up sitting on top of the seat cushion bump.
    Last edited by driveumhard; 04-12-2017 at 02:44 PM. Reason: sp

  7. #7
    dont do it thats a girls ski! i had seadoos before i got a fx and vx- very boring! now i have a fz svho and the fun is back! i rode dirt bikes for years and mod all of my vehicles my dd is a 13 sec truck so if ur like me and like performance buy the svho

  8. #8
    Well like others mentioned you're comparing, or atleast attempting to compare VX series. But the Hulls changed a bit.
    Lets also add that the VX Cruiser and VXR are different. One would be more economical and the other more performance oriented.
    Note that the VX cruiser will get you mid 50's and VXR mid 60's. The VXR is a great contender for an all motor alternative as
    opposed to a supercharged Ski. the '15 VXR with basic bolt ons will keep up with SVHO and other supercharged ski's

    Fuel consumption will be greater on the VXR than the VX. However, both are more economical then going supercharged.

    For a newer ski, newer hull design, and more performance i think the $2k is more than justifiable. Id go VXR and not look back.

  9. #9
    WaterDR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hudson, WI
    Posts
    1,033
    +1
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by IRideNYC View Post
    Well like others mentioned you're comparing, or atleast attempting to compare VX series. But the Hulls changed a bit.
    Lets also add that the VX Cruiser and VXR are different. One would be more economical and the other more performance oriented.
    Note that the VX cruiser will get you mid 50's and VXR mid 60's. The VXR is a great contender for an all motor alternative as
    opposed to a supercharged Ski. the '15 VXR with basic bolt ons will keep up with SVHO and other supercharged ski's

    Fuel consumption will be greater on the VXR than the VX. However, both are more economical then going supercharged.

    For a newer ski, newer hull design, and more performance i think the $2k is more than justifiable. Id go VXR and not look back.
    buy a VX Cruiser HO. Perfect for what you are asking. Has the better VX Hull, the VXR Motor and a Cruiser seat with cruise control.

    i own one and a VX limited

    And I am comfortable with my sexuality

    Guys that think these are girls skis are over compensating.
    Last edited by WaterDR; 04-12-2017 at 07:31 PM.

  10. #10
    dont buy a girl ski lol

  11. +1 by:


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Everyone Please Read This!!!!!!!!!!!
    By jeff007 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-25-2009, 08:28 AM
  2. Broken Riva Intake Grate (RXP) Please READ THIS!!
    By Vern in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 02-01-2009, 09:54 PM
  3. Recreational Boating Concern, please read this!~
    By shawn alladio in forum High Performance Watercraft Safety
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-18-2008, 11:02 AM
  4. Your US Boating Future, please read this!
    By shawn alladio in forum High Performance Watercraft Safety
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-06-2008, 06:58 PM
  5. Everyone Please Read this...
    By Lvnspeed in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-24-2007, 08:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •