2000 Virage TX, Voltage regulator won't allow starter to crank

New to both forum and PWC so please have patience.

I have a 2000 Polaris Virage TX 1200 that would not crank, forget starting. When I jumped out the voltage regulator as per a thread on this forum it allows the solenoid to engage and the engine to crank.

So I purchased another voltage regulator because in my thinking jumping it out then motor cranks I must need a new one. When the new one is connected it does not allow the solenoid to engage to crank the motor. I have 2 new voltage regulators from Transpo that I bought online which stated they would work with this engine. The model number from Transpo as stamped on unit = Transpo CN PL1002N 0096 12V.

The lead coming back from the solenoid is the "BLK/WHT" which is connected to voltage regulator BLK/WHT. I have no idea as to why it won't crank when the voltage regulator is plugged in.
    I have also tried disconnecting the BLK/YLW which is the kill switch.

The battery is new and has 340CCA tested at the auto store and shows 11.9 volts when cranking (jumped out) /12.76 when not cranking.

Any help or insight appreciated

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Does the dash MFI display say LOCKED when you press the Start button with lanyard in place?

The MFI did come on briefly and intermittently but now it is out completely. When it did come on it did not say LOCKED but I have no idea if someone was pushing those buttons afterward as many fingers have tried to help.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jkomar View Post
    The MFI did come on briefly and intermittently but now it is out completely. When it did come on it did not say LOCKED but I have no idea if someone was pushing those buttons afterward as many fingers have tried to help.
    On the Virage (and Genesis) the MFI display is part of the start solenoid circuit. If the MFI is not working then the engine cannot crank unless the MFI security feature is bypassed.

If you move the white/black wire coming from the solenoid to instead connect to electrical box black wires, the engine should crank.

For the MFI display itself, check that the fuse is good, the black wire ground is good, and the connector pins between display and wire harness are clean and dry, not corroded. Fuse will be in the electrical box. replace only with 1/4 amp fuse, no higher.

Electrical box inside must be clean and dry inside, no corrosion.
    Last edited by K447; 04-11-2017 at 03:19 PM.

If I move the LR black/white wire to black - then that means to ground. But what do I do with the black/white coming from the solenoid which normally connects to the one on the LR, just let it hang.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jkomar View Post
    If I move the LR black/white wire to black - then that means to ground. But what do I do with the black/white coming from the solenoid which normally connects to the one on the LR, just let it hang.
    My error

Connect the SOLENOID black/white wire to ground.

Leave the LR module's black/white wire on the black/white terminal or just disconnected.

Thread Information