Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31
  1. #1
    Ale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    ITALY
    Posts
    843
    +1
    61

    Gus13letter - - new Gp1800 mod thread?? ??? - - -

    sorry...
    I'm not able to find the thread about the new Gp1800 mods....

    from Gus

    I don't understand...

    maybe he want to keep it stock...



  2. #2
    Gus13letter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Posts
    8,335
    +1
    901
    Decided to create my own thread. http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...17#post2840417



    Sorry, I have been busy riding.
    I did purchase a 2017 Yamaha GP 1800. I completed a full write up in another thread about my impressions, but in summary, It has exceeded my expectations, especially in rough nasty washing machine water, handling, and running around some buoys.

    I am going to take a break from the drag racing and speed scene and set my GP up more for handling, buoy carving, rough water, and just to get on and ride.
    So far I have done a few things and since I want to retain the warranty, I am not going to reflash the ECU. That seems to be the gateway drug to more, more, more...

    So far I have added, air intake, ribbon delete, freeflow exhaust (This just gets rid of a lot of the clutter and ski sounds great), Riva steering setup, Jet Trim Seat cover, WORX sponsons. The ski is on the rev limiter last time out, so I am adding a Solas impeller which will take me off the limiter and have better acceleration.

    All I am waiting on is the Riva intake grate and that will finish my setup. Pretty simple setup.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170401_101559.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	410565   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170401_100439.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	410563   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170401_100451.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	410564   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170401_102432.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	410566   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170401_102450.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	410567  
    Last edited by Gus13letter; 04-15-2017 at 07:02 AM.

  3. #3
    Bob 1tommygunner1927's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    7,756
    +1
    1,573
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus13letter View Post
    Sorry, I have been busy riding.
    I did purchase a 2017 Yamaha GP 1800. I completed a full write up in another thread about my impressions, but in summary, It has exceeded my expectations, especially in rough nasty washing machine water, handling, and running around some buoys.

    I am going to take a break from the drag racing and speed scene and set my GP up more for handling, buoy carving, rough water, and just to get on and ride.
    So far I have done a few things and since I want to retain the warranty, I am not going to reflash the ECU. That seems to be the gateway drug to more, more, more...

    So far I have added, air intake, ribbon delete, freeflow exhaust (This just gets rid of a lot of the clutter and ski sounds great), Riva steering setup, Jet Trim Seat cover, WORX sponsons. The ski is on the rev limiter last time out, so I am adding a Solas impeller which will take me off the limiter and have better acceleration.

    All I am waiting on is the Riva intake grate and that will finish my setup. Pretty simple setup.
    Wow, looks great, Gus! Link to your write up?

  4. #4
    Moderator beerdart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    25,977
    +1
    1,417
    For Sale Yet?


  5. #5
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    39,391
    +1
    1,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus13letter View Post
    ...
    I did purchase a 2017 Yamaha GP 1800. I completed a full write up in another thread about my impressions, but in summary, It has exceeded my expectations, especially in rough nasty washing machine water, handling, and running around some buoys.

    ... since I want to retain the warranty, I am not going to reflash the ECU. That seems to be the gateway drug to more, more, more...

    So far I have added, air intake, ribbon delete, freeflow exhaust (This just gets rid of a lot of the clutter and ski sounds great), Riva steering setup, Jet Trim Seat cover, WORX sponsons. The ski is on the rev limiter last time out, so I am adding a Solas impeller which will take me off the limiter and have better acceleration.
    ....
    Would you reflash if you could avoid warranty risk?

  6. #6
    Gus13letter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Posts
    8,335
    +1
    901
    Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    Wow, looks great, Gus! Link to your write up?
    Thank you. Here is my previous write up from the other thread asking about FZ and GP.

    I will not get into the big debate, but will provide you with some personal feedback. I think I have owned every ski out there and they all seem to have their purpose, pros and cons. I have owned 2 FZR and now a 2017 GP1800. Most people say the FZ are kangaroos and the worst riding ski. I am here to say, setup right the FZ will outrun a Kawi 310 in rough water. I know because I have done it and the guy couldn't believe it. He was no amature either. He has raced long endurances races around the country. The FZ are the king of drag racing so far. They have also won P1 AquaX. So you cant go wrong with an FZ. I will elaborate more on the GP later.

    My 2014 FZR that I just recently sold ran 91 mph in the eighth mile and 93.3 mph on a good weather day with a stock wheel, it was a beast of a ski and ripped hard! There weren't many skis around that could beat it in the 1/8th mile, even ones running better top speed. The ski was setup to run on 93 Octane pump gas at 9340 rpm and stock charger. After selling it I was thinking to take a break for a while, buy an FX SVHO again or a GP1800. I had previously rode one of Dean's GP 1800 that ran about 83 mph, my first impression was that it pulled really good and had good acceleration, but I wasn't to crazy for it especially after just coming off my 90+ mph FZ and because I didn't spend much time on it since I wanted to get my FZ dialed in. I also rode a friend of mine GP 1800 ski that runs 81 mph with similar setup to Dean's and again the same thoughts.

    I reached out to others that I know that bought a GP 1800, folks that previously had FX and FZR to get their opinions. They said it was a beast and like a mini FX but it is quick, accelerates great, nimble, yet it also does well in rough water. Most of them are not drag racers, they are more endurance and closed course guys. This is what I was after, something different. Where we ride it is typically rough especially in some areas, it can be a 2 - 3 ft washing machine kinda chop. The GP 1800 also recently won the Mark Hahn race.

    Although I was very skeptical of how it would handle the rough water I decided what the hell, and went for the GP1800, something different to try. Took it out for about a total of an hour with breaks in between to get a good heat cycle on it and break it in. The next day we went out on a 60 mile ride. Coming from a 90+ mph ski I was like yeah, it is a stock ski. Lol However the more I rode it the more I liked it. I was told give it about 5 rides before I judge it. The acceleration is pretty amazing for a stock ski and it is very nimble. I was taking it pretty easy and was in and on the throttle for the most of the time not holding it wot for long periods. However.... when we hit some nasty 2 - 3 ft washing machine chop coming from all angles, I must say I was extremely impressed!! The GP blazed though it with a soft, comfortable, nimble ride and I was completely dry!! My friend on an FZ was soaked, even a friend of mine on an RXT-X was wet. Although both my FZ were previously setup to handle well I would have to muscle them more than I had to with the GP. The turning with the GP is very aggressive and will carve the hell out of some buoys which is what I look forward to start doing again. So far the GP has certainly exceeded my expectations and must say for a stock ski it feels fast. Maybe because it is light and nimble.

    I cannot say is if a GP is faster than an FZ with the same mods. The FZ has been out for a while now so everyone has figured them out and a drag race king and has broke top speed record at 118 mph. The GP is new and folks are still trying to figure them out. I have heard that the GP when modified takes some work to get it to holeshot good due to the smaller pump tunnel, but is faster. Dean has his transom plate mod which looks really good and with a twin impeller pitched properly along with a Riva intake grate will certainly address that.

    Time will tell what the GP capabilities are.

    You really cant go wrong with either ski. It is personal preference and all depends what you are after. I will tell you not to jump into one because it is cheaper.

    Hope this helps.

  7. #7
    Gus13letter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Posts
    8,335
    +1
    901
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    For Sale Yet?

    Give it a year.. Seems I get them just right and then sell them.

    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Would you reflash if you could avoid warranty risk?
    The ski is very impressive with the setup I have and cant wait to try it with the Solas. But yes, probably. Running about 7700-7900 rpm I feel is pretty low. Doesnt have to be rev'd to the moon, but even the ability to rev it to 8300 with an 8500 limiter would be more ideal.

    I have heard if you reflash the 2015 - 2017 and rev them pas a certain RPM, the gear on the SC shaft walks and wipes out the charger, so I do have that in the back of my mind.

  8. #8
    Bob 1tommygunner1927's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    7,756
    +1
    1,573
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus13letter View Post
    Thank you. Here is my previous write up from the other thread asking about FZ and GP.

    I will not get into the big debate, but will provide you with some personal feedback. I think I have owned every ski out there and they all seem to have their purpose, pros and cons. I have owned 2 FZR and now a 2017 GP1800. Most people say the FZ are kangaroos and the worst riding ski. I am here to say, setup right the FZ will outrun a Kawi 310 in rough water. I know because I have done it and the guy couldn't believe it. He was no amature either. He has raced long endurances races around the country. The FZ are the king of drag racing so far. They have also won P1 AquaX. So you cant go wrong with an FZ. I will elaborate more on the GP later.

    My 2014 FZR that I just recently sold ran 91 mph in the eighth mile and 93.3 mph on a good weather day with a stock wheel, it was a beast of a ski and ripped hard! There weren't many skis around that could beat it in the 1/8th mile, even ones running better top speed. The ski was setup to run on 93 Octane pump gas at 9340 rpm and stock charger. After selling it I was thinking to take a break for a while, buy an FX SVHO again or a GP1800. I had previously rode one of Dean's GP 1800 that ran about 83 mph, my first impression was that it pulled really good and had good acceleration, but I wasn't to crazy for it especially after just coming off my 90+ mph FZ and because I didn't spend much time on it since I wanted to get my FZ dialed in. I also rode a friend of mine GP 1800 ski that runs 81 mph with similar setup to Dean's and again the same thoughts.

    I reached out to others that I know that bought a GP 1800, folks that previously had FX and FZR to get their opinions. They said it was a beast and like a mini FX but it is quick, accelerates great, nimble, yet it also does well in rough water. Most of them are not drag racers, they are more endurance and closed course guys. This is what I was after, something different. Where we ride it is typically rough especially in some areas, it can be a 2 - 3 ft washing machine kinda chop. The GP 1800 also recently won the Mark Hahn race.

    Although I was very skeptical of how it would handle the rough water I decided what the hell, and went for the GP1800, something different to try. Took it out for about a total of an hour with breaks in between to get a good heat cycle on it and break it in. The next day we went out on a 60 mile ride. Coming from a 90+ mph ski I was like yeah, it is a stock ski. Lol However the more I rode it the more I liked it. I was told give it about 5 rides before I judge it. The acceleration is pretty amazing for a stock ski and it is very nimble. I was taking it pretty easy and was in and on the throttle for the most of the time not holding it wot for long periods. However.... when we hit some nasty 2 - 3 ft washing machine chop coming from all angles, I must say I was extremely impressed!! The GP blazed though it with a soft, comfortable, nimble ride and I was completely dry!! My friend on an FZ was soaked, even a friend of mine on an RXT-X was wet. Although both my FZ were previously setup to handle well I would have to muscle them more than I had to with the GP. The turning with the GP is very aggressive and will carve the hell out of some buoys which is what I look forward to start doing again. So far the GP has certainly exceeded my expectations and must say for a stock ski it feels fast. Maybe because it is light and nimble.

    I cannot say is if a GP is faster than an FZ with the same mods. The FZ has been out for a while now so everyone has figured them out and a drag race king and has broke top speed record at 118 mph. The GP is new and folks are still trying to figure them out. I have heard that the GP when modified takes some work to get it to holeshot good due to the smaller pump tunnel, but is faster. Dean has his transom plate mod which looks really good and with a twin impeller pitched properly along with a Riva intake grate will certainly address that.

    Time will tell what the GP capabilities are.

    You really cant go wrong with either ski. It is personal preference and all depends what you are after. I will tell you not to jump into one because it is cheaper.

    Hope this helps.
    Thanks, Gus. Nice read.

  9. #9
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    39,391
    +1
    1,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus13letter View Post
    ... Running about 7700-7900 rpm I feel is pretty low. ... the ability to rev it to 8300 with an 8500 limiter would be more ideal.

    I have heard if you reflash the 2015 - 2017 and rev them pas a certain RPM, the gear on the SC shaft walks and wipes out the charger...
    Are you referring to the warning from Jerry regarding pinning the volute on the supercharger, or something with the actual gear?

  10. #10
    Gus13letter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Posts
    8,335
    +1
    901
    Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    Thanks, Gus. Nice read.
    Thank you.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Where is the thermo mod thread?
    By grantuk in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-11-2008, 08:44 AM
  2. Looking for water box mod thread
    By Pale Rider in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-28-2006, 08:47 AM
  3. New Speed Mods !
    By RX951 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-26-2006, 06:27 PM
  4. Pics of New Exterior Mods on RXP
    By Sundance in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-11-2006, 09:33 AM
  5. New SC Mod to go to 13 P.S.I.
    By 1 FAST VE in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 174
    Last Post: 02-07-2006, 05:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •