Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

03 Ultra 150 Engine Replacement

My ultra 150 project has a small hole on the bottom side of the case underneath the PTO cylinder. So it looks like I'm in need of a replacement.

My question is can I use any 99+ ultra 150 case/engine?

Thanks for the help

+1
    Welcome aboard, mnsledboy!

To the best of my knowledge, you can use the '99 case. The starter mounting is a little different on the '99s.

How big is the hole? Can it be welded? What about the crank & rods?

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Welcome aboard, mnsledboy!

To the best of my knowledge, you can use the '99 case. The starter mounting is a little different on the '99s.

How big is the hole? Can it be welded? What about the crank & rods?
    Crank and rods are 100% fine, the hole is smaller than the size of a dime. Probably about a pencil eraser.

What are all my repair options? Just welding?

+1
    I'm not big on welding crankcases with significant damage, but that sounds to me like a good candidate for welding. What caused the hole?

A piece of piston skirt cracked off and went through the bottom. But left no other markings or cracks in the case

Sounds like a lean seizer, i would investigate just to make sure you doesnt happen again.

You can use the 99 case on your 03, the difference is the 03 case is machined to fit the bigger starter that were in the 02-05 years. You can grind the portion needed, or run the smaller starter. Take a pic of the damage it could be salvaged. Do not mix cases, they are line board when manufactured.

Quote Originally Posted by turboman412 View Post
    Sounds like a lean seizer, i would investigate just to make sure you doesnt happen again.

You can use the 99 case on your 03, the difference is the 03 case is machined to fit the bigger starter that were in the 02-05 years. You can grind the portion needed, or run the smaller starter. Take a pic of the damage it could be salvaged. Do not mix cases, they are line board when manufactured.
    Thanks for the reply, yes it was a lean condition but the cylinders look very much useable still. With it being able to be cleaned up. Right now I am figuring out what to do to repair the case. It's too bad because it's such a small hole. I will post a picture when I get a chance

+1
    Don't forget that those cylinders are Nikasil plated. You can't hone or bore them like iron sleeves.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Don't forget that those cylinders are Nikasil plated. You can't hone or bore them like iron sleeves.
    Correct, I will be cleaning the one up with muriatic acid. And then checking tolerances etc

They cylinders can be honed only with the use of a diamond hone. I have had multiple cylinders honed already. The task is to find someone that does the diamond honing since the equipment is expensive.

Replace all 3 pistons as precaution, you have seen the destruction of a piston coming apart. Stay away from any part/gasket/bearing from sbt, try to stay with oem. I have had very good experiences with wsm parts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information