Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polaris MFD project that will work with wifi or could be made generic for other thing

I thought it would be best to move this out in a new threat, so it would not be buried under a different thread. I hope that is OK..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

K447,, I didn't want to show it all to you yet , because it is not all the way finished.. But it is working good so far, I just wanted to field test it some more, and get all the bugs out. At this time it will only have trim percent read out, engine RPM, temp sensor monitor, fuel level read out, GPS mph. I can add more to it later , and even change the design , I am putting one in my boat also. The beauty of it all, is it is dirt cheap..But I felt bad that I did not show or tell you anything, I just left you hanging. So I though I would show you a little info on it.. I am programing Arduino's here is a wiring diagram.. info on it.. I am programing Arduino's here is a wiring diagram..

from K447
    Thanks for sharing your work in progress.

I have not thoroughly reviewed the circuit, but I do have some top-of-my-head comments.

Spec the Yellow wire zener input limiter circuit with resistor for 60 volts peak input. 1/2 watt resistor may not be enough and the zener current and heat dissipation may need to be uprated.

How fast do those small LDO voltage regulators (which you are using for input signal conditioning) respond to voltage jumps between zero and 12 volts and back down again? When adjusting the electric trim, the buttons may be cycled a few times. Slippage in the LDO output signal waveform compared to the switched raw DC may add to the drift between actual trim nozzle position and the displayed indicator.

Does the Tan wire have a pull up resistor somewhere?

Electrical noise. Plan for an electrically noisy environment. The ignition system will be firing away, the LR voltage regulator will be cycling. The trim motor has brushes.

Note that the electrical box return path for the high voltage spark current from the ignition coil secondary (and through the spark plugs) is shared with the rest of the electrical system. The current spikes for each spark plug do not end at the engine block, the electrical loop must flow all the way back to the actual ignition secondary coils.

I note that there are no capacitors shown for filtering electrical noise.

You may want to add protection for possible inadvertent reversed battery polarity, should someone make that mistake.

from K447
    I presume you have seen the video showing how the Polaris MFD responds to each input.

Fuel and oil level indicators should have some damping. The float signals will be jumping around as the liquids slosh about. I don't know the exact algorithm used in the Polaris MFD display but I would imagine it does some averaging over multiple seconds. The Low Fuel and Low oil warnings are also delayed to minimize false warnings.

The fuel level float has nine(?) discreet resistance levels. There will be some variation in exact resistance at each level, program for a resistance range at each level.

The oil float only has 4 or five possible readings, 1/4 tank increments.

Note that a disconnected fuel or oil level sensor indicator is different from a 'tank is empty' indicator.

Engine HOT indicator has minimal delay on the Polaris MFD.

If you are recording peak RPM it can be tricky. Bouncing over waves on the water can allow the engine to momentarily rev up to or even beyond the CDI rev limiter. I think the Polaris MFD monitors the rate of RPM rise and ignores sudden RPM changes that are not consistent with the following few seconds of RPM.

For engine tuning and engine power monitoring the RPM while the jet pump is engaged with the water is what is important. The peak RPM when the jet pump is unloaded and just pumping air is not useful.

to K447
    I had 10 Kohm resistor instead of the 1 kohm resistor on the yellow tach wire first, and I ran it on my Jeep HEI ign, set it at 4 pulse per revolution V8 that is on a video that I will up load. and it worked great. But when I put it on the jet ski it would not read anything so I had to put it down to a 1K ohm resistor to get it reading , and it worked great , no heat problem that I noticed, I ran the ski up tp 2900 RPM by the tach that was divide by 10 and should have been divide by 6 that would have made it at 4833 RPM ,but I will watch it more closely. Are you sure the voltage goes that high? ,I could put a higher wattage resistor on it , but remmber it on a pulse duty cycle and it may not be a problem..

The LDO seen to switch fast , they would not be as fast as zener and a 1k ohm resistor, but I was using one of these on the tach input at 15000RPM one pulse per revolution with a signal generator and it was working fine..

I did not put a pullup resistor on the tan temp wire because , I am using the buzzer as the pullup also, and that might be a good thing because if the buzzer gets unpluged the temp alarm will show up on the screen.

so far it has not needed a capacitor, the battery is giving clean power. but that is to say that it might get one later , with noise, ect..

the fuel gage is being scaned every 10 seconds with a weighted average 4 times..

diode protection is a great idea..

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR IDEA
    and it could all be changed around , alot more things can be picked up voltage level , hour meter, ect, could use oled insted of wifi .....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wemos D1 Mini.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	410457  

some more pictures

Name:	IMG_20170408_100804.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	410462   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170325_083942.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	410463   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170408_100451.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	410464   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170408_100518.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	410465   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170408_100618.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	410466  

this is when I put it on the jeep v8 , 4 pulse per revolution, I compare it to another tach but they are not running at the same scan rate and time..
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9h...ew?usp=sharing

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    How much heat is the main 5 volt LM7805 regulator going to dissipate?

Think about how hot the MFD enclosure might become sitting in the sun on a hot day, plus the waste heat from the regulator and everything else tucked inside there. Make sure the math works out regarding maximum operating temperatures of the components and heat sink effectiveness.

You may want to consider a tiny switching regulator if the heat factor becomes a worry.

Fun project! Happy to see people working on stuff like this

What will be display in the final product?

This is just one way to add more analog points

Name:	analog-mux.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	410488  

These things are easy to program to what you want...

K447 I hope you didn't mine me moving this out to a new thread,, I hope more people want to get involved..

the 5 volt as it works now it bare gets warm, might need more heat sink down the road maybe..

thanks for the input..

+1

Here is another video of it on the jet ski 1999 Polaris SLX 1050 showing how the trim and the temp sensor work..... GIVE ME YOU THOUGHTS...

<strong>https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...jBJaC14SWNjUWc

Off the subject for just a moment,, HEY beerdart did you supply all the PDF files for Polaris , every one I look at has beerdart across it.. If you did Great job thanks....

These wifi modules are real cheap and work Great, cost of the modulesis around $3.00 ,total cost is about $25.00 for all parts. I can give you a price break down on all the parts, if you want..

off the subject again for a second, when I am doing a long post on here ,and I go to post it, the sight want me to log in again, even when I am already loged in. . and when I re-login I loose all my data that I put in ,,,, What am I doing wrong.......

K447
    What will be display in the final product?

That is a GOOD question ,, let's talk about it,, the Arduino's can do it any way you want, more on this in a minute. first on this one that I'am making now has wifi on it and that is the way I was planning on it to go.. I have a 1999 Polaris SLX 1050 that the MFD (multi function display that is shot) , I have seen junky looking one on Ebay for like $175.00 that are like 20 years old, and could die any day. I like a challange and the Arduino's are real cheep and lots of info on the internet on them.. I have two older ski's Polaris SL 700 and they have high temp alarms on them.. The 1999 SLX 1050 has a red led light on the MFD . My thought is to put the alarm and the Arduino in side the SLX ski some where around the gas tank area. then take the handle bar pad off , and then buy the rubber pad that goes on the cross bar on the handle bar like a dirt bike. then make a small or buy a holder for my phone or tablet, pda or what ever you are going to use and mount to the cross bar. By the way they make water proof covers for cell phones. Use and old cell phone for this ,not your current phone(dont want to loose it in the lake) you can also buy cheap tablets for around $45.00 that would work (alot cheaker than an old $175.00 MFD) , O and by the way the old cell phone will work Great with out a sim card. Even the GPS app works great with out the sim card..So when you are driving around jet ski, and decide to get crazy and jack around in the water you can take your phone off and put it in side the ski and go crazy with you buddy spraying each other and you still have a high temp alarm buzzer warning on the ski active.. And on the other side if you like cruising around , you can use your cell while you are listening to MP3 music from your phone and even take calls.. with ear buds....HA,HA than we will have the same problem the we have now with people driving there cars talking on cell phones. That is my plan , any way it can change, it is kind in flex.. There is another Arduino that Iam working on that has a display LCD that you could fit in the existing MFD slot, that is another way to go. also I was thing instead of using buttons on MFD ,put reed switches in side of it then put a small magnet on you lanuard cable to trigger it for a switch.. This set up is real cheap also.. It's just alot of labor , any involment would be great.. I have been using Arduino's wifi on my garage door for awhile now for opening and closing door and turning off and on the drive way yard light, that you can use your cell phone on and works great, the Arduino wifi range in line of sight is 1/4 mile. I am also installing Arduino in my Mini Jet boat, it will be slick it going to be dash less, now gages and radio .. you can blue tooth to it to play music, wifi to to get boat info, GPS info . or what ever you can dream of.. My thought is to start out small with a couple of things and get them working real good and then add to it as you go along.... Because Thinking of things is easy,,,, programing things is hard,,,, and making the things work in real life is even harder........... So start out real small or you will get over whelmed..................You can reprogramed the Arduino's any time you want.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information