New ride plate and intake grate (now have issues)

Hello everyone,
    Well today was the first day I took my jet ski out. 2001 XLT1200. over the winter is installed several parts. I installed a new performance ride plate, intake grate, pump shoe kit and prop. Took it out on the water for the first time today and has issues that I can't figure out.. under 3,000 RPM the ski runs fine. over 3,000 RPM it don't.. the RPM shoot up but the ski will not go. Now with that in mind.. with my trim nose up it's fine and runs great.. but with trim in neutral or nose down I can't go over 3,000 RPM. The RPM will go all the way to 8,000 but the ski will not hook up and go.. Now if I start off with TRIM nose down the transition to nose down after going about 20 MPH is works just fine and I can go to top speed. Any though to this would be so helpful as I'm so lost in this.
    My ride plate and intake is a Pro-Tec

+1
    Sounds like cavitation. My suggestion is to replace the new items one at a time until the problem goes away. Then try and figure out why that item is causing problems. You replaced four items, and of the four items the "impeller" will be that hardest to replace back stock. I doubt its the pump shoe kit, so that leaves the ride plate, intake grate & prop.
    That's my idea, maybe someone with a XLT can give you a better idea.

As a observation, a lot of gear heads and drag racers don't do a lot of mods all at once. The idea is to change one thing and make sure it works right. If it makes it faster or better then make the next change. if not then go back a step.

Thanks you for the response.. Ill try it this weekend. If anyone else had this issue please let me know

so I wanted to give some more information that might be vital. I also replace the trim cable, steering cable and reverse cable. Also replace the pump housing. It's crossed my mind too that maybe I don't have the trim angles set right.

+1
    Double check routing and operation of the cables. Make you have them hooked up properly.
    Since you replaced the impeller and the housing, use feeler gauges to double check the clearance between the two.
    Make sure everything is aligned properly. Double and triple check to make sure everything is in place and no excessive gaps. Nothing loose.
    The comment you make about the RPMs going up and the ski not moving sounds like cavitation. Which I equate to a clutch or transmission slipping on a car. If you have a bad clutch, you step on the gas and the engine revs but the car doesn't hook up. just like cavitation.
    My guess is the problem lies with the impeller and pump housing.

+1
    I have that same model ski. Cavitation is a bad problem with them. What prop did you install? If you went with a solas, it should be a 12/18. Cables wouldn't have anything to do with your problem. Also, check your pump to impeller clearance. Should be .010-.020, service limit of .024. Those parts usually work well together, you may have installed the wrong prop. The ride plate is s waste of money in my opinion, its like putting corvette suspension on a bus.

+1
    ^^^^^

What he said!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by butterbean_29512 View Post
    The ride plate is s waste of money in my opinion, its like putting corvette suspension on a bus.
    That's pretty funny! True.... and well said. Got my smile for the day right there!

Agree on likely cavitation issue. Follow Jack's advice and check all alignment and clearances. Some pics will him help for more details. Shot looking into pump from both ends, shot of whole pump from rear, pics underneath of plate/grate install and alignment.

+1
    Sounds like a simple pump/ride plate sealing issue to me. I seal around every mating surface with plain clear silicone.

Thread Information