Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Strange spark issue on 1100 Wave Riader

I was riding my wave raider last September at WOT for a pretty good stretch and it just shut off. I hit the starter button and the solenoid (or something) stuck and the starter just kept running. I ended up having to pull the battery leads.

I got it home and found that I had no spark on all three. I bought a used CDI off ebay. With the new/used CDI plugged in, and all the wires hanging off the front of the motor, and alligator clips on the grounds I hit the starter button and it fired right up and was running on all three. I hit the kill button on the handlebars and it wouldn't shut off. I probably didn't have the ground connected for the kill button. Anyways, a few weeks later I put it all together correctly and put the electronics cover on and I'm only getting spark for a few seconds when hitting the start button. It's as if the faster the motor spins by the starter, the less, or non existent spark I have. If I just bump the start button and the motor spins real slow, I get a bright spark. I had hold the starter button down and let it spin the motor fast the spark goes away.

I replaced the entire start/stop/kill assembly so I can rule that out. Since this problem is the same on all three I'm wondering if it's a stator problem, or if I killed another CDI?

I was thinking the thermal switch might be to blame. Thinking it might be half triggered. If I unplug the pink wire from the CDI the symptoms are the same though.

The way I understand it, both the pink wire's and the white wire's from the CDI's job is to kill the CDI. The pink via via the thermal switch and the white wire via the kill switch. I've disconnected both of those and seen no change. Still only getting occasional spark at low turn over speed. I've verified all my my grounds. I'm thinking it has to be a stator problem or another bad CDI...

Quote Originally Posted by stephenspann27 View Post
    The way I understand it, both the pink wire's and the white wire's from the CDI's job is to kill the CDI. The pink via via the thermal switch and the white wire via the kill switch. I've disconnected both of those and seen no change. Still only getting occasional spark at low turn over speed. I've verified all my my grounds. I'm thinking it has to be a stator problem or another bad CDI...
    Im having the same problem. Fires up and runs for 2 seconds then dies again with no spark. Have you figured it out yet?

I have not, I"m going to look in the manual for a way to test the stator. If it test good, or I can't test it, I think I'll try another CDI. I might be an aftermarket Arieltek CDI this time.

Found this on here if it helps. Putting mine back together now to see what happens after cleaning the stator and rotor

The pick up coil make sense with my symptoms. If the flywheel turns slow it might still work, but as soon as I spin the motor fast it's not reading well. It sucks you have to pull the motor out of the ski to be able to see the stator/front cover area well.

Quote Originally Posted by stephenspann27 View Post
    The pick up coil make sense with my symptoms. If the flywheel turns slow it might still work, but as soon as I spin the motor fast it's not reading well. It sucks you have to pull the motor out of the ski to be able to see the stator/front cover area well.
    I have a 760 so plenty of room to pull the cover.

+1
    I've a good used CDI for sale in the classifieds off my 1100 if you need another. Also got a used stator but not listed

Couple of points, I'm sure the thermal switch only limits rpm but doesn't kill the spark so you can limp back to the ramp, so I'd rule that out as the cause.

Also are you 100% sure the kill switch is good? I know on mine when I'm fogging the engine after a ride I hold in the stop button while turning the engine over. It always fires once even though the stop buttons held in, every time you hit the start button

Quote Originally Posted by Raider1200 View Post
    I've a good used CDI for sale in the classifieds off my 1100 if you need another. Also got a used stator but not listed

Couple of points, I'm sure the thermal switch only limits rpm but doesn't kill the spark so you can limp back to the ramp, so I'd rule that out as the cause.

Also are you 100% sure the kill switch is good? I know on mine when I'm fogging the engine after a ride I hold in the stop button while turning the engine over. It always fires once even though the stop buttons held in, every time you hit the start button
    I have a buddy whos a jet ski collector. He thinks he has a cdi for me to try. If that dont work i will order new stator coils.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information