Just picked up an MSX 150 and have a few questions

Guys I appreciate the wealth of knowledge you produce here and I would like to use it yet again. I have been reading up on all K's "look for pages for the MSX 150" and there is a wealth of info there. I recently purchased an MSX 150. I have 2 MSX140's and SLX780 and a ZXI 1100 Kaw. The couple I purchased the 150 from were not detail laden about the ski. They were just not too technical at all. What they could tell me was when they purchased it and got it home it was kind of a runaway when they started it. They were running it on the trailer. They got scared and shut it down. They then discovered none of the dealers would work on it. I have read about some instances where the runaway occurs and so I was not too shocked. When I got it home I began checking for things I have read about like the free moving waste gate which it is moving freely. Overfilling of Oil which is wasn't. I plan to check the map sensors also. I quickly discovered a piece missing the Main Relay. The picture of the connector is below. It looked like like it was attached just to the right of the ECU. I found what I assume is the tab that connected it to the chassis. Picture attached. It is also referred to as the Fuel pump relay by some sites but not sure if that's right. I can't find much detail on it. Does anyone have info to share on it. I have read all things to look for and I am going to go through all of those. All thought are welcome.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170407_170538.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	410303   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170407_170518.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	410304  

+1
    You've stumped me at the moment. Ripcuda probably knows.

+1
    Yes... it's technically called the "Main Relay"... but I too have seen it referred to as the fuel pump relay. It's responsible for powering-up a lot of stuff... coils, injectors, fuel pump, etc.

It's the only piece of it's kind the in MSX 110/150. Both MSX 110 and 150 use the same part.

Can be found on ebay used (~$60)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-MSX1...RYfUiy&vxp=mtr

But for what they're asking for one used... I'd call Randy at WeberPower and see about a new one ($70)
    http://weberpower.com/polaris-msx150...nt-system.html

As you can guess... the ski will not run without this part.

As for the run-away throttle. That is common on this engine... when started on the trailer (out of the water). To prevent run-away revs... always start it on the trailer with the reverse lever engaged. That will hold revs to 3500rpm max.

Cheers!

+1
    I may have one of these. Let me check...

Quote Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post
    Yes... it's technically called the "Main Relay"... but I too have seen it referred to as the fuel pump relay. It's responsible for powering-up a lot of stuff... coils, injectors, fuel pump, etc.

It's the only piece of it's kind the in MSX 110/150. Both MSX 110 and 150 use the same part.

Can be found on ebay used (~$60)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-MSX150-MSX110-Turbo-2004-ECU-Fuel-Pump-Relay-Switch-240109-/152484265599?hash=item2380c53e7f:g:AekAAOSwImRYfUi y&vxp=mtr

But for what they're asking for one used... I'd call Randy at WeberPower and see about a new one ($70)
    http://weberpower.com/polaris-msx150...nt-system.html

As you can guess... the ski will not run without this part.

As for the run-away throttle. That is common on this engine... when started on the trailer (out of the water). To prevent run-away revs... always start it on the trailer with the reverse lever engaged. That will hold revs to 3500rpm max.

Cheers!
    I Appreciate the info. I guessed after reading up on it that it was crucial. I was able to find one and it is on its way. I will further asses the ski after i get it in. I have digital wrench and the cable to access the 150 so I will give it whirl and see what it say. Thanks for the replies.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post
    Yeah that's it! I haven't been in front of my MSX in over 7 months (and counting), lol

Main relay, it has to have that. Powers up a lot of stuff. I chased a problem for 2 weeks because of that thing. Jet ski randomly dies. Turned out to be the fuel pump wire pin in the connector was never crimped. How it went 70 hours before the problem showed up, beats me. lol.

Randy at weberpower will hook u up with one if u want new, excellent service.

Thread Information