Replacement Jet Pump

Hi guys,

I want to replace the pump housing on my 06 Challenger 180 as it's in pretty rough shape from the previous owner sucking up rocks etc. I've attached a pic of what I'm referring to. Are the WSM or SBT aftermarket pump housing kits any good? Are they plastic or aluminum? The OEM parts page shows the housing as unavailable.

Thanks

Darren
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160912_185013.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	410284  

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    aftermarkets are good for the most part, I've used WSM and SBT pump housings. The will be plastic. I get em complete except for impeller. your pump doesn't look all that awful, a little clean up on the stator a new wear ring and impeller and let it rip ( assuming the bearings sound/feel good)

When I bought the boat the pump had been recently rebuilt, new shaft, bearings, ring, impeller etc. It's more the stator that I was worried about, although it doesn't seem to effect performance at all. The wear ring has a groove in it on only one side. I put a new one in since that picture was taken and it did the same thing. Is the driveshaft out of alignment then? I thought maybe it was that beat up pump housing. I'd like to put a stainless ring in it but not if the impeller is going to rub on the ring.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ddaoust View Post
    When I bought the boat the pump had been recently rebuilt, new shaft, bearings, ring, impeller etc. It's more the stator that I was worried about, although it doesn't seem to effect performance at all. The wear ring has a groove in it on only one side. I put a new one in since that picture was taken and it did the same thing. Is the driveshaft out of alignment then? I thought maybe it was that beat up pump housing. I'd like to put a stainless ring in it but not if the impeller is going to rub on the ring.
    Wish I saw this sooner. Stay away from SBT pumps. Mine failed under 9 hrs got water in it from the front seal. They wouldnt replace it since it was in 9 hours. Was on my boat. The day it started making noise was when I finally went over 30mph on the boat prob pushed water through the seal. Junk!! I got a used 04 pump. If your wear ring is wearing on one side you might need an alignment to get it straight.

Quote Originally Posted by surferd15 View Post
    Wish I saw this sooner. Stay away from SBT pumps. Mine failed under 9 hrs got water in it from the front seal. They wouldnt replace it since it was in 9 hours. Was on my boat. The day it started making noise was when I finally went over 30mph on the boat prob pushed water through the seal. Junk!! I got a used 04 pump. If your wear ring is wearing on one side you might need an alignment to get it straight.
    I had the boat in the water for the first time this year yesterday, but I haven't done anything with the pump yet. I plan to check the alignment etc before deciding on whether or not to replace the pump.

Another quick question. Are the newer pump housings compatible with the older boats? The part numbers have changed multiple times over the years.

Your post caught my attention, being as I just did what you are considering. I think your boat has the same motor as mine (05 Sporster 215 SCIC). The Pump housing on our boats (159mm) are aluminum and I know the SBT is the same if you were concerned.

Because of budget I chose the SBT rebuild kit, neoprene seal, wear ring, and impeller exchange. I also replaced the nylon type shoulder washers/bushings used to mount the pump to it's support (dealer item).

The main bearing in the SBT pack was my concern, it does not seem to be of equal quality as the OE, but dimensionally was the same. I repacked it well and installed it. I used a 12 ton HF press in the removal and install. The rest of the parts were fine. The pump went back together well and I now have 11 hrs on it (Gulf of mexico, salt). For my own comfort on this subject I will be pulling the pump off at 20 hrs or so, just to make sure, if I used the OE I would do the same.

Your housing has pitting and nicks though I agree with nmpeter, not bad, though I would smooth the pitting. Considering your in fresh water and all surfaces that seal are still able to seal, I might hold off on a new housing.

I have been back and forth with the question, stainless wear ring or plastic? Our conditions in the Gulf are very shallow and lots of already turned up sand. I go through a wear ring once a year, and impeller as needed (on exchange). I don't have any performance mods, just a couple updated cosmetic mods.

I stay with the plastic in order to control the price of wear. The stainless near as I can tell would not have any give. If the wear ring and the impeller are stainless then the only thing left would be the aluminum housing to absorb impact or wear.

Removing a plastic wear ring requires no special tools if left in the freezer overnight. with fingers, just pull out or push in, and $70 a year. I am interested if someone has gone to stainless and their experience with it. I apologize if long and am curious what your results are.

I have filed the stator after that pic was taken so it is a lot smoother now. The main reason I was considering a new pump was because of the way the ring was wearing on one side only. I put a new wear ring in it last fall, I think it was an SBT. With that ring, my impeller had pretty much zero clearance with the pump off the boat. I'm now thinking I'll get an OEM ring and rebuild the pump. The boat currently does 47-48 on GPS with a 14/19 so that's about right for a 180. I may try the OEM impeller this weekend as I never ran it with the new ring. The OEM impeller was a bit faster with the old ring, but it had a lot more cavitation on the hole shot.

Thread Information