Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SL750 Only Idles

My 1995 SL 750 fires right up and idles just fine. But when you give it any throttle it doesn't rev up. With full throttle it just dies. I have replaced the fuel pump, checked compression, cleaned the carburetors, and bypassed the petcock and fuel tank using an auxiliary fuel tank with fresh fuel hung from above. Does anyone have any suggestions? I read somewhere the overheat sensor could cause this condition but I haven't found a way to test it yet. Thanks in advance for any help!

+1
    Welcome to GH!

The overheat sensor (on the water rail sitting on top the cylinders)... is only for a warning indicator on the display. On this year ('95) I'm pretty sure it doesn't do any rev-limiting when triggered.
    Do you have spark at all 3 cylinders?
    What spark plugs?
    New or used fuel pump?
    Original single-outlet or recommended triple-outlet fuel pump?
    Do you have the pump hoses all connected correctly?
    Do you have the fuel pump pulse line (off rear of crankcase) connected properly?
    Do you still have the fuel restrictor INSIDE the return fuel line?
    Are you pre-mixing oil in the gas? (If so, what ratio?)
    Is your ebox clean (internally corrosion free) and everything connected properly?

How does the engine react if you give it some choke while attempting to rev above idle? Better or worse?

Are you running this out of the water? On the hose?

When you cleaned the carbs... did you pull off the fuel pump plate side to get to the fuel filters in there?
    Did you set the HI/LOW air-fuel screws back to stock settings (each carb is different) after cleaning/rebuilding?

Cheers!
    Last edited by K447; 04-07-2017 at 02:09 PM.

Thank you for the reply. I do have spark on all three cylinders. It is running NGK BPR8ES spark plugs. I bought the recommended triple outlet fuel pump new. All of the hoses appear to be hooked up properly, including the pulse line, according to diagrams I have seen and from the arrows on the pump itself. It does have the fuel restrictor. I am not premixing the fuel but I plan to in the future. Choking the engine does not have any apparent effect on how its running. The ebox is clean inside, it does not have any apparent corrosion. I am running it out of the water with the hose hooked up. I am not sure if I did get to the filters inside the carbs but I believe I did set all of the screws properly. There's one screw per carb and they have a pre determined setting correct? I was reading somewhere that the stator could also cause this sort of issue, but I got ~11.8V at the battery with the jetski off, and ~14V with the jet ski running. Is this an accurate test of the stator? I just bought this jet ski from a friend because it started having this issue, its my first jet ski so I must apologize if I am being a complete noob. He was riding it slowly at about idle on reserve (on accident) for a long period of time in a large no wake zone, when he got out of the no wake zone the thing wouldn't rev up. Ever since it the problem has been the same.

+1
    Did the ski have the triple-outlet pump back when your friend had the issues with it? Just curious...

I too doubt the carb filters (under the back-side, fuel plate) are an issue. Your ski likely has (my '95 SLT does) inline fuel filters. Did you check those? Confirm not all clogged up? Well... guess if you're bypassing the entire fuel tank, selector valve and whatnot... you're also bypassing the filters.

There are 2 fuel/air mixture screws on each carb... a High and a Low. The Lows have a tee-shaped head and sit towards the bottom of the carbs. The Highs have a plastic cap on them to restrict movement (cap prys right off) and are a normal slotted head.

Carb settings are: (gently snug the needle tight in the carb then back it out this many turns)
    Lows: all 1/2 turn out
    Highs:
    MAG - 1
    CEN - 1/2
    PTO - 3/4

The stator/cdi's on the blue Fuji engines are very stout. I've never had one bad or go bad (on 5 diff Fuji engines).
    But K447's knowledge pages has more info there you can use to check.

Here is K447's knowledge page for the blue engines (if you haven't found it yet):
    http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....is-fuji-engine

Cheers!

+1
    If it's doing like mine in this video, it ended up being the stator....

+1
    Another thing to add to the list could be a colapsed blocked exhaust. Easy to eliminate.

I will double check my carb settings thats some useful information I appreciate that. That video is precisely what mine is doing. Were you getting charging voltage at the battery still though? Maybe it can still charge the battery but doesn't have the guts to produce sufficient spark for revs above idle. I removed the hose from the outlet of what I believe is called the "waterbox" the exhaust component that comes after the expansion chamber, to make sure that hose wasnt clogging things up. (never seen an engine with rubber hoses for an exhaust)

Also, upon looking into replacement stators i've seen a new one on amazon for $150 and used for $100. Would you recommend against getting a used one? If so is there a preferred vendor to get something like a stator? Thanks again for all the help guys!

+1
    Mine is on a 96 SLT780 that I did a total rebuild on. First run it was running great, shut down to talk to my wife and when I started it up, it was running like the video, just wouldn't rev. I went through everything and when ohm testing the stator, the pulser coil showed bad. Replaced it with a new one off eBay that came with a year warranty, looked up the seller but he doesn't have any listed. I had the exact same thing happen on a Polaris sled and it's stator also showed bad pulser coil. I was able to change it in hull without to much trouble as I had just had it apart and switched the philips head screws that hold the stator to Allen head bolts, but the 750 might be tighter. One the stator was in, it fired right up and ran great. Only got it out once before winter hit though.

Charleston, South Carolina, United States
    +1
    Excellent help from everyone!! Let us know what ends up fixing your issue.

That battery voltage you posted is way too low 11.8 V is a 35% charged battery. These Polaris jet skis HATE old / dying batteries. Your battery should be 12.6 V. Id recommend a battery charge or new battery. I cant even count how many poor running, no start, cant idle jet skis that have been fixed with a new battery! 14 V is about right for the stator but could be pushing all of its power to a dying battery causing issues.

You may also have something as simple as a fouled spark plug. Start with the cheap stuff and work up!

https://sites.google.com/site/polari...ttery-charging
    Last edited by shawndak07; 04-11-2017 at 12:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information