Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need more RPMs

+1

Need more RPMs

Currently running an 8400 tune from JL performance, have a 4" intake, 15/19r solas and I'm barely able to turn 8000 consistently. Bounced up to 8100 a few times, but consistently turning about 8000 at WOT. My next upgrade will be the fizzle Intercooler and hope that helps squeeze more rpms. Would a repitch be the way to go instead of adding more performance? If so I keep seeing impros as the go to guys. What should I re pitch to. I have my oem prop as well if they can re pitch that?

Is anyone running an upgraded charger or just an upgraded charger wheel with oem fueling? Or is more fueling an absolute must?

thanks guys for the input

Banned User
    +1
    id upgrade the charger and get a fuel regulator if you want more power and rpm You cant go bad with an et 137 wheel

+1
    Add the intercooler and you will have a banging setup with the 137 and injectors

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dg1148 View Post
    Currently running an 8400 tune from JL performance, have a 4" intake, 15/19r solas and I'm barely able to turn 8000 consistently. Bounced up to 8100 a few times, but consistently turning about 8000 at WOT. My next upgrade will be the fizzle Intercooler and hope that helps squeeze more rpms. Would a repitch be the way to go instead of adding more performance? If so I keep seeing impros as the go to guys. What should I re pitch to. I have my oem prop as well if they can re pitch that?

Is anyone running an upgraded charger or just an upgraded charger wheel with oem fueling? Or is more fueling an absolute must?

thanks guys for the input
    Don't know much about JL performance....have no idea on details of their tune and what they actually do to mappings. I would suspect something is wrong because you should easily be turning 8200rpm. A Fizzle is a good idea and if your stock IC is not messed up, you will gain 60-100rpms...but that really depends on current water temp. The warmer the water, the bigger change you will notice.

While the 15/19R is a great prop, its certainly NOT the prop I would have gone with on your mild setup (unless you planned to mod more later). A 14/19A is more suited and gets the RPM's more in spec. Setup my friends '12 PX with it with same mods you have and ran great on the little 14/19A. But here we are and given you already have the 15/19R, I would take 2.5 to 3mm out of the trailing edge. Or better yet, find out what is up with the tune.

Looking over my old notes, I ran 8415rpm (73.3 gps) with 8375 tune (not a typo), IC and springs/retainers on an untouched stock prop. I later tweaked stock prop every which way and got best of 75.8mph gps by tweaking prop to 8700rpm. However, instantly got 77mph @ 8574 when swapping to the Solas 15/19R. But keep in mind, I've always been reprogramming my own ECU (VTECH).

You don't NEED a bigger SC wheel to fix your issue. I ran a best of 81.9 gps on a stock wheel.

BTW: Looking at your avitar...please tell me those aren't speakers cut into the ski hull...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanfish View Post
    Don't know much about JL performance....have no idea on details of their tune and what they actually do to mappings. I would suspect something is wrong because you should easily be turning 8200rpm. A Fizzle is a good idea and if your stock IC is not messed up, you will gain 60-100rpms...but that really depends on current water temp. The warmer the water, the bigger change you will notice.

While the 15/19R is a great prop, its certainly NOT the prop I would have gone with on your mild setup (unless you planned to mod more later). A 14/19A is more suited and gets the RPM's more in spec. Setup my friends '12 PX with it with same mods you have and ran great on the little 14/19A. But here we are and given you already have the 15/19R, I would take 2.5 to 3mm out of the trailing edge. Or better yet, find out what is up with the tune.

Looking over my old notes, I ran 8415rpm (73.3 gps) with 8375 tune (not a typo), IC and springs/retainers on an untouched stock prop. I later tweaked stock prop every which way and got best of 75.8mph gps by tweaking prop to 8700rpm. However, instantly got 77mph @ 8574 when swapping to the Solas 15/19R. But keep in mind, I've always been reprogramming my own ECU (VTECH).

You don't NEED a bigger SC wheel to fix your issue. I ran a best of 81.9 gps on a stock wheel.

BTW: Looking at your avitar...please tell me those aren't speakers cut into the ski hull...

I immediately questioned the tune because I swapped my factory ecm back in and noticed no difference. So I emailed the guy and he said to start my ski and let it warm up for a few out of the water and rev it and see what top RPM was and if it was over 8100 then I had "the tune" whatever that meant. I ended up spinning 8800 so I know atleast the rev limiter is bypassed but as far as mapping and performance, I feel like nothing else was changed. Really disappointed. This guy had recommended a custom pitch but that the 15/19r would be the best bet over factory prop. I almost feel a bit more laggy now with that prop. So here I am with the 15/19 and 2 ecms. I want to Send one off to get reflashed by riva or a more reputable company and send one of my props off to get pitched correctly. Would you think that route would be best? Then go from there? I still wouldn't mind getting the intercooler but was hoping that would get me where I wanna be instead of blaming my current setup. I'd rather tweak what I have now than keep adding stuff if possible. Starting with a new tune and then prop tweak

and yes yes those are speakers. I bought the ski with that set up. Couldn't pass on the deal. Guy was going through a divorce and wanted it gone before wife got it

I appreciate your input btw

+1
    So I emailed the guy and he said to start my ski and let it warm up for a few out of the water and rev it and see what top RPM was and if it was over 8100 then I had "the tune" whatever that meant. I ended up spinning 8800
    Okay...that right there is B.S! While its true a stock ski will turn 8040rpm in water, it will free-rev a good bit higher out of water (8500 to 8600 IIRC, I forget exactly) The ECU can't hold back the (mechanical) rotational forces that quickly. Period. And just because it has an "8400 tune" doesn't mean its properly setup. Again, I don't know anything about these JL Perf tunes so lets give them the benefit of the doubt

What to check?
    Remove hose to SC and take a close up picture of the SC blades (to inspect). Especially if the ski rode in salt water.
    Fresh set of plugs, no matter how old they are!
    Is the ski actually faster in sport mode compared to normal mode? I don't mean how it feels, but actually faster.
    Pop off hose going into throttle body and verify its opening to WOT (using a mirror or remove and operate while holding in hand - engine off)
    Fresh gas?
    Remove inlet hose to IC and look inside for oil or anything else odd.

+1
    Did you run that ski out of the water up to 8800 without being on the hose????

+1
    It has a brand new BRP motor in it. Just turned 10 hours this past wknd. Brand new SC as well. Plugs and all are new as well. I really think my tune is the issue. These guys are more popular in Florida as this is where their based out of. I'm going to just bite the bullet I suppose and send it off to riva for their stage 2 8350 tune. What would be ideal to do prop wise? Leave 15/19 on or repitch that one or stock prop?

+1
    No I ran a hose to it even tho the guy said I didn't need to. Didn't sound safe to me so ran one to my ski anyways.

+1
    It has a brand new BRP motor in it. Just turned 10 hours this past wknd. Brand new SC as well. Plugs and all are new as well. I really think my tune is the issue. These guys are more popular in Florida as this is where their based out of. I'm going to just bite the bullet I suppose and send it off to riva for their stage 2 8350 tune. What would be ideal to do prop wise? Leave 15/19 on or repitch that one or stock prop?
    If you send it off, you will need to resend to them once you start adding more mods. Why not get it over with and just buy the MatunerX and then you can change tunes for free as much as you want by yourself. Unfortunately, I think because you have a 3rd party tune on ECU, Jesus (Riva) would need to restore it for you.

As for which prop, I already covered that above. You still should look into some of those tips in "what to check" I mentioned above. As example, an oily intercooler will lower rpms as much as 100 to 150rpms.

You never said...what is your top speed now? (gps or dash)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information