Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I'D RATHER SWEAT THAN SHIVER hyoctane23's Avatar
    +1

Hull Repair and Gel Coating

I need some help on fixing some gouges and a big crack in my hull. The boat is my '97 Pro 785 so it is a fiberglass hull.

I've read the how to paint a jet ski thread several times but I'm going to be honest, a lot of information is scattered around in that thread. I commend Bowsniper for making the thread but when lots of people with different kinds of boats ask questions with lots of answers, it gets confusing.

The first big issue is there seems to be delamination of the outer layer of the hull. I tried to take several pictures of it to give a good view on what it looks like. The outer skin has literally split and I think it has allowed water in between the layers of the hull. Since I don't have my engine in there anymore, I am able to pick the hull up and move it around. When I do, I can hear water sloshing in my hull. It seems the water is mostly under the gas tank cradle as when I tipped my ski on its side to take these pictures, a pool of water started to develop. It is escaping from one of the gas tank strap hooks. It is my understanding that the hull has balsa wood sandwiched between two layers. I'm wondering if that wood is now rotten?

The repair of this crack I guess will be somewhat straightforward. I'll have to grind out that crack and any part of the skin that has delaminated. I'll have to read on how to repair the fiberglass from there but I'm thinking the epoxy by West System would work.

I also have several gouges in the strakes that need repairing. Are these not so deep that Marine Tex could be used to fill them? Or would it be best to use another method like with the crack repair?

Another thing that is making me wonder is that my intake grate is cracked. I've never seen this before. I'm wondering if the hull is flexing so much that the grate finally cracked?

Finally, once I get the hull fixed, I want to shoot gel coat on the bottom....definitely black like how it is now. What brand of stuff do most use nowadays? Any good reads on how to prep and shoot it?

Lots of questions, I know...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crack 2.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	410176   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crack 1.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	410175   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crack 3.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	410177   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crack 4.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	410178   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grate.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	410179   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Strake.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	410180  

+1
    West systems for all repairs and add micro to make a paste for the scratches. It looks like it has red gel coat and painted black? If so just repaint black. I have a feeling that crack/delam will be huge when ground out.. I like to drill holes in the inner liner to let water out so it always drains.

+1
    So skip the Marine Tex and do an actual fiberglass repair?

It is a '97 hull so the bottom was red. It seems to be gel coat because it is quite thick.

I think the area will be big too....kind of hard to get a scale on how big it is...but I guess it is still quite repairable?

And where exactly did you drill drainage holes?

+1
    Looking at the pic again its paint. Yes skip the marine tex. Is there access to the inside or is it covered by the inner liner? Drill holes in the liner at the low/drain points.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    How much effort are you willing to put into repairing the damaged hull compared to finding another Pro 785 hull that is still in good condition?

+1
    I'm willing to put in some work. I'm not sure I'll find a good hull that wouldn't need the same repairs anyhow so why spend the money when I'll have to do it anyhow is my thought process.

+1
    I'm just in the final stages of fixing a cracked hull, and re-gel coat. Would I do it again? Not on this scale. I redid the whole underside. The west systems stuff is awesome, very hard to sand. But very strong. I had to fix a large section, both on the inside and outside. Turned out OK for first time. 2001 SLX 1200. A lot of sanding the new gel coat, it orange peeled on me pretty good.

+1
    What did you use for the gel coat as far as brand?

+1
    Drill holes in the liner at the low/drain points.
    Do you have a picture of where you drilled? Maybe drilling a couple of small holes at the gas tank cradle on a Pro?

+1

I used gelcoat and additives from plasticworld.ca (Just because Im in Canada)

Before and after. Sanding almost done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3676.JPG 
Views:	232 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	410272   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45B0876A-E5DD-4422-BE61-18647B636616.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	410274  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information