Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Blending Fuel to increase Octane?

I only have poor quality 91 Octane where I live and been looking for ways to increase my fuel Octane to 93.

I can get my hands on some VP C14 race fuel which I could mix 4.8 gallons of straight 91 octane with 0.5 Gallons of VP C14 (114 Octane) to make 93 octane. This option is expensive but I'm willing to do it if I want to run a more aggressive tune.

The cheaper option is that I live by an airport that sells avgas 110LL. This option is a lot cheaper and would require a slightly heavier mix to achieve the same results.

Has anyone done this with an SVHO engine? Do these engines have an oxygen sensor or Catalytic converter that would prevent me from running leaded fuel?

Will this affect the tune in anyway?

Thanks

+1
    This stuff helps a lot...Dean Charrier said it worked well for crap 91 California gas too got rid of knock on a pretty serious build....I mix with 93 octane one bottle treats up to 25 gallons.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5366.jpg 
Views:	751 
Size:	122.9 KB 
ID:	410167  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FZeeR View Post
    This stuff helps a lot...Dean Charrier said it worked well for crap 91 California gas too got rid of knock on a pretty serious build....I mix with 93 octane one bottle treats up to 25 gallons.
    Is it the same as Torco Accelerator (MMT, anti-knock additive)? Does it have any detrimental effects from frequent use other than rusty colored plugs?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Swatski View Post
    Is it the same as Torco Accelerator (MMT, anti-knock additive)? Does it have any detrimental effects from frequent use other than rusty colored plugs?
    May be similar to Torco but this stuff works well. As long as you're only mixing a little bit in a tank of gas you shouldn't see any effects other than ski running great. Some people pour a whole bottle of this stuff into a single tank which you shouldn't do.

+1
    I've used the Lucas additive (W/ MMT) in my Honda with good result; however, from a cost perspective, mixing 100LL Av gas would be the better option IMO. Note that Av gas is 100 octane, not 110. In my Honda I would see maybe one more MPH and a appropriate increase in RPM.
    As far as mixing the additive goes, you mix to the desired level of octane - within reasonable limits of course. I would normally add one bottle to a tank (roughly 13 gallons of new fuel) and see a two octane bump. I actually called Lucas and spoke with a guy on their technical staff - recall the most one can expect to see is a rise in octane of 3 (two bottles) - taking 91 to 93ish. The rule of diminishing return. For me, that one more MPH was not worth the effort. I still have a few bottles around the house just in case I have to fill up with non-premium (93) gas.

Little history lesson - MMT was marketed by Ethyl in the 90's to refiners as a way to increase the octane of lesser refined fuels. In short, it would save the refiners money (not consumers...). The EPA had a gripe, Ethyl fought them hard and lost harder. MMT went away quickly thereafter. When I left the industry, only a few third world countries allowed the additive. School's out.
    Chris

+1
    So I just called around for some prices for RACE Fuel and Avgas and the Avgas is by far the cheapest route if I can run it. I can pick up Avgas up here in Canada for $10.09 CAD per US Gallon (100 Octane). My only option for Race Fuel is $36.79 CAD per US Gallon for VP C14+(114 Octane).

I would need to mix 0.5 Gallons of VP C14+ race fuel with 4.8 Gallons of 91 Octane pump gas to get my desired 93 Octane.

To get the same results with 100LL Avgas I would need to mix about 1.12 Gallons of Avgas with about 4.18 Gallons of 91 Octane pump Gas.

Avgas would definitely be the way to go if the SVHO engine can handle the lead content. Lead apparently is hard on catalytic converts and Oxygen sensors which I'm not sure if the engine even has either?

Has anyone used Avgas successfully in Yamaha Supercharged watercraft engine?

+1
    This stuff would be great to keep on board for those who only run 93 and are forced to use 90 rec in a pinch. Especially for those with a 93 tune from Dean.

Quote Originally Posted by Swatski View Post

+1
    Does this really work......
    Quote Originally Posted by FZeeR View Post

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RIVERA RACING View Post
    Does this really work......
    There was someone on here a few years ago that did some proper scientific tests
    He go no more than .5 of an octane rating higher than the base fuel
    Even at way over the specified amounts

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information