Ultra 300X Stuck valve?

Hello Folks

I have a 2012 and 2013 Kawasaki 300X models. They have been sitting all winter. I Went to service them and get them ready for spring, oil & filter change, spark plugs, check the supercharger belt, etc... While I had the spark plugs out I though I would check the compression on each engine in each ski. Did the 2012 first, cylinder #1 145, #2 145, #3 150 and #4 0. Checked it again and same results. Proceeded to checked the 2013 ski engine cylinder #1 0, #2 145, #3 140, #4 150. Okay this is not good. With the spark plugs out, took a scope light looked into the cylinders that registered 0. Top of the pistons looked good. Piston goes up and down normally when the engine turns over. No rattling noise. Installed the spark plugs back in the motors, both engines fire right up. Again NO noise of any kind, but you can tell one cylinder is not operating. I have a friend that is a motorcycle tech and he believes that maybe the valves are stuck open from sitting. He suggest putting some Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinder and run it for about 15 minutes on the hose and then take it out and run it on the river.

2012 Model has 35 hours and the 2013 model has 34 hours. Both engines have oil.

Any body experience this before and/or have recommendation? I appreciate and help.

Thanks

+1
    If one of the valves is sticking partly open, its not seized as it must be opening fully with the cam and almost closing, otherwise it would hit the piston.
    I would pull the valve cover, check the valve to cam clearance and see if it just stuck open a bit. As to how to fix, geeze, running it until it works sounds risky as it may stick open then you trash the cylinder.
    Pull the head and fix properly would be best. Determine what exactly is wrong. Could a seat have rusted out?

Did you spary it with any fogging oil before you stored them?

Thanks for your response. No sir, I did not fog the engine, I know I should have. I live in central Florida and never really had an issue with a situation like this. I appreciate your help and input. I will pull the valve cover off as you recommend and see if there is a clearance problem.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SplishSplash View Post
    If one of the valves is sticking partly open, its not seized as it must be opening fully with the cam and almost closing, otherwise it would hit the piston.
    I would pull the valve cover, check the valve to cam clearance and see if it just stuck open a bit. As to how to fix, geeze, running it until it works sounds risky as it may stick open then you trash the cylinder.
    Pull the head and fix properly would be best. Determine what exactly is wrong. Could a seat have rusted out?

Did you spary it with any fogging oil before you stored them?

+1
    Mate if a valve stuck open and you tried to start it. It is now bent and wont reseat. Yoy now need to remove the head to repair

5. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    Mate if a valve stuck open and you tried to start it. It is now bent and wont reseat.
    --------------------------
    Not that I want to question our # 1 contributor here in the Kawasaki section - but I respectfully question the above - in that if the valve "stem" is "stuck" to the valve "guide" in an "open" position - would eventual usage (exercising the camshaft) eventually free-up the stuck valve again - through lubrication between the stem and the guide?

I guess this assumption is not valid if our engines are "interference" engines?

Heck the OP's shit only has ~ 30x hours on them.

Good Luck to the OP.

+1
    It's possible the valve stem has rust on it
    Stopping it from closing fully
    So may not have hit the piston
    But the only fix is to remove the head and get it fixed

8. +1 by:

Do a leakdown test. It can tell you if its the piston rings, intake or exhaust valve that is causing the compression to drop. It's better to know what you are dealing with before you open up the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by 8kgold69 View Post
    Hello Folks

I have a 2012 and 2013 Kawasaki 300X models. They have been sitting all winter. I Went to service them and get them ready for spring, oil & filter change, spark plugs, check the supercharger belt, etc... While I had the spark plugs out I though I would check the compression on each engine in each ski. Did the 2012 first, cylinder #1 145, #2 145, #3 150 and #4 0. Checked it again and same results. Proceeded to checked the 2013 ski engine cylinder #1 0, #2 145, #3 140, #4 150. Okay this is not good. With the spark plugs out, took a scope light looked into the cylinders that registered 0. Top of the pistons looked good. Piston goes up and down normally when the engine turns over. No rattling noise. Installed the spark plugs back in the motors, both engines fire right up. Again NO noise of any kind, but you can tell one cylinder is not operating. I have a friend that is a motorcycle tech and he believes that maybe the valves are stuck open from sitting. He suggest putting some Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinder and run it for about 15 minutes on the hose and then take it out and run it on the river.

2012 Model has 35 hours and the 2013 model has 34 hours. Both engines have oil.

Any body experience this before and/or have recommendation? I appreciate and help.

Thanks

10. +1 by:

+1
    I would not run those skis. I would pull the heads, remove all valves and inspect all stems and guides.

If one is stuck it's possible others are borderline. When the motor comes to full operating temperature those guides will shrink and you're risking a valve getting stuck open which will hit the piston which will probably drop the head and rattle around in the cylinder $$$$.

12. +1 by:

+1
    Please follow the advice as stated above, and post some pics once you get the head off. I am curious to see what's going on..

I removed the valve cover and watched the cam shafts push the valve buckets up and down. All appears to operating as designed with the cams and valves. I am going to use a bore scope this weekend and look into the cylinder to see if there is any scaring on the walls. Piston moves up and down with no issues. No noises when they are running. I just can't believe that with only 35hrs that the rings would go bad. Someone mention that the piston could be cracked. Is this a common issue with Kawasaki?

Thread Information