Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 95 SL 750

95 SL 750

Back in December I purchased a 95 SL 750 for $500 bucks in good shape. Kid I purchased it from had already done a bunch of electrical work to get it to were it could start. Weather has finally broke here in NJ and I have finally been able to get under the seat and start working diligently to get it ready for the water.

First start attempt was a fail, due to my own stupidity. Never charged up the battery, didn't have enough juice to actually turn over. Woke up the next day, after talking with the kid I purchased it from and finding out that the started was new, I got the battery charged up, Back in the ski, pull the choke, hit start, and it turned over. Which was a big sigh of relief for me be cause i really wasn't sure it would. Ever it still would not start.,

This left me at two theories, no fuel, or no spark. Checked all my fuel lines, tightened everything down. After a few hours of head scratching and failed attempts, I finally got fuel flowing, and it fired up. I was exstatic that it actually ran, how ever very poorly and would not stay running at idle.

This is where I am now. Waiting for my shopping list of goodies to arrive.
    Waiting on new triple fuel pump to replace the single. Found a good condition full carb setup on eBay for a decent price, gonna see if it is in better condition than what is installed on my ski, then swap, and tear the other down for a full rebuild. Have a new fuel selector on the way as I believe i am getting air in the lines from it.

Can't wait to get my first ski on the water and begin the real fun. Because who really likes starting at any boat on land???

+1
    have you checked engine compression yet? one big thing to do when you are buying any ski is to do an engine compression test. don't think just because it fired up that it has great compression, i had a huge problem with fuel delivery with my polaris and it ended up being that my engine didn't have enough compression to pull gas from the tank into the lines, then into the separator than eventually into the carbs. I'm not saying that is your problem but it's definitely worth doing. being that a compression tester isn't very expensive, and could save you a lot of headaches if it is the case. once you do that and if your compression is nice and even then, i would move to making sure you have good strong spark. but being that it did start im betting you do have good spark and your problem is probably in fuel delivery, BUT, there is an easy way to make sure you are getting spark.
    pull both of the plugs, than put a plug into your wire and put the bottom part of your spark plug and put it to metal, and crank the engine to see if you could see spark. You probably want to do that because of the work the past owner did to the electrical.

p.s: it sucks waiting for the warmer weather in jersey

Previous owner say that compression was in the 130s across all three. Wouldnt be a bad idea to check for myself. Hopefully my dad has a tester cause i dont wanna have to spend the money on one.

I wasnt planning on rebuilding carbs. But the more i thought about it i decided to just order the kit from watcon.com and do it. So once the kit comes ill be having fun rebuilding carbs for the first time. Found a nice video and a thread on here that go into detail on doing it.

As much as i want to just get out on the water. I dont wanna half ass things and them have an out of commission ski halfway through the summer.

Going sunday for my safety course. Gonna be rough not having the ski ready to go right out.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftwithnoexits View Post

As much as i want to just get out on the water. I dont wanna half ass things and them have an out of commission ski halfway through the summer.

Or halfway across the lake on the first ride. You are correct that it is better to do the work up front. These machines really, really need to be running properly before you put them in the water and go riding. It is very easy to cause (further) damage to the engine or other stuff just by 'test riding' it around.

If you have not done so already, click on my signature link and read through all the recommended maintenance, upgrades and common repairs. There is a lot of useful info in there.

Not only the engine itself, service the entire fuel system. And the oil system. And the jet pump. And the steering, bilge siphon, fuel tank filler neck and gas cap (hairline cracks, bad seal?).

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Not only the engine itself, service the entire fuel system. And the oil system. And the jet pump. And the steering, bilge siphon, fuel tank filler neck and gas cap (hairline cracks, bad seal?).
    Speaking of hairline cracks. I have to fix where my aluminum fuel pick up cap screws onto my gas tank. It is just about cracked all the way around. Gotta figured out a good glue or such to fill in and secure it back together.

And i have checked out your information. Lots of it. It is basically the reason i have decided to do all this work.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    What is cracked? The fuel tank material or the threaded cap?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    What is cracked? The fuel tank material or the threaded cap?
    Its the black threaded area where the threaded cap screws onto on the tank.

95 SL 750

So i have an ocean pro head on the ski. Have read I should be running 92 octane in it. I have about 1 and 1/2 gallons of 85. If i just add 92 to the tank and run do you think i will have any issues. Other than just some performance issues till it burns off the rest of the 85

Update: Tried repairing the crack that was in the neck the pickup plate screws to. Went to screw the cap on the neck and.....it cracked, in a different spot, now on the threads.....so now we play the waiting game for the new fuel tank to come in.

In the mean time I did get a nice back up set of carbs in today. Picked them up for just $60 bucks on eBay. So while i wait for the fuel tank, I at least can tear apart the carbs and give them a nice bath, and rebuild.

Todays project. Rebuilding carbs so i can install new fuel pump. About half way done. Got all the carbs back together. Have to pop off test them and put all the settings to factory. Then i can install them and the new pump.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2276.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	312.0 KB 
ID:	410754

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information