+1

215 GTX full rebuild or clean and run?

I finally had a chance to diagnose my "free" ski. It wouldn't crank when I first got it (which may still be a starter issue of some sort). The supercharger spins freely so I had no way of knowing if the motor was locked up or not. So I pulled the supercharger and found this....

Super clean charger.

But missing parts!

Now I have researched the topic, but a lot of the info is several years old and rather incomplete, with few resolutions. I guess my burning question is: Without pulling the engine, is this motor trash, or rebuildable, or a good candidate as a core for a long block exchange? I already bought a used mini-rude for it and plan on the usual performance upgrades (fuel system, tune, intake, exhaust, external intercooler, spring kit, flywheel bolts, etc). Would something like an SBT long block be ok for a medium build? Or should I take a more custom build route using my engine (assuming it checks out ok)? I did install the new charger and turn the motor over a few times. Thankfully it turns freely. I'm still not sure why it wouldn't start. I honestly thought the motor was locked up because it did nothing. So I'm really just curious what you guys think, since I'm sure many of you have gone through this before. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SilverLT1vert View Post
    I finally had a chance to diagnose my "free" ski. It wouldn't crank when I first got it (which may still be a starter issue of some sort). The supercharger spins freely so I had no way of knowing if the motor was locked up or not. So I pulled the supercharger and found this....

Super clean charger.

But missing parts!

Now I have researched the topic, but a lot of the info is several years old and rather incomplete, with few resolutions. I guess my burning question is: Without pulling the engine, is this motor trash, or rebuildable, or a good candidate as a core for a long block exchange? I already bought a used mini-rude for it and plan on the usual performance upgrades (fuel system, tune, intake, exhaust, external intercooler, spring kit, flywheel bolts, etc). Would something like an SBT long block be ok for a medium build? Or should I take a more custom build route using my engine (assuming it checks out ok)? I did install the new charger and turn the motor over a few times. Thankfully it turns freely. I'm still not sure why it wouldn't start. I honestly thought the motor was locked up because it did nothing. So I'm really just curious what you guys think, since I'm sure many of you have gone through this before. Thanks!
    Was the super charger as pictured when you removed it? If yes then you have needle bearings in the engine along with chunks of charger gear parts floating around this alone would lock it up and prevent it from turning .

+1
    Yes you're missing a few parts off the supercharger, gear, needle bearings, etc. You wont know if the motor is trashed until the take it apart and look. You'll need to disassemble the engine and find the missing parts. Check everything for damage, oil pumps, and the cam gears and chain. If the motor has good compression, you might be able to put it back together for a lot less than a rebuilt engine. I would stay away from SBT if you plan on keeping it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7687.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	409968It should look like this .

+1
    Cool, thanks guys. More than likely the bearings are toast since the clutch washers wore to the point the drive gear rattled around and broke, sending more metal chunks into the engine. The oil pumps are probably trash. What else inside the PTO could possibly be damaged? Stator? Flywheel? I guess I would need to get the starter working to check the compression. If the compression checks out and the pistons and top end are fine would this be a basic rebuild with new bearings, rings, bolts, gaskets, etc? Assuming the crank isn't scared up. Could a crank be repaired if it is damaged? Are there any engine builders on the east coast that know 4tec's and could freshen up or rebuild my engine? While I could build myself and farm out the machine work, I simply don't have the time or facilities at the moment, and I'd love to be riding this season! Thanks again for everyone's help. This is an awesome forum.

+1
    Looks like the washers are still on the SC shaft?? Hard to tell from the pics. Yes you need to check the flywheel teeth and the stator for damage plus all the crank and rod bearings and journals. I've rebuild several where the crank and rod journals was unaffected by the clutch washers coming apart. I'm on the NC coast *2 1/2 hrs from Raleigh)if you're looking for someone to rebuild it. PM me..

+1
    Took a closer look at the old charger. I'm guessing it's toast. Hairline crack where the shaft comes through. Also, are the gray pieces the clutch washers? How the heck did they survive and a steel gear didn't?? Are these the upgraded washers?? Very strange. The ski has 132 hours.

I guess I need to get this motor pulled as soon as I can!

+1
    I have one apart right now like that. Stator and flywheel damaged, both oil pumps trashed screens full of metal debris and bits of metal in the bearings but crank/cylinders/pistons ok.

+1
    Yes those are the upgraded clutch washers and the supercharger housing is trashed

Thread Information