Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: IBR lifespan?

+1

IBR lifespan?

I was curious, since IBR equipped Sea Doos have been out for several years now, whether the system has a finite lifespan in years or hours?

Is there anything that we can do to help the system continue to work properly, since it's so expensive to repair/replace?

My parents' 2012 GTI is pushing 200 hours, and it just crossed my mind. TIA.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by terminaldegree View Post
    I was curious, since IBR equipped Sea Doos have been out for several years now, whether the system has a finite lifespan in years or hours?

Is there anything that we can do to help the system continue to work properly, since it's so expensive to repair/replace?

My parents' 2012 GTI is pushing 200 hours, and it just crossed my mind. TIA.
    Your ski has the 2nd gen iBR and its been a fairly reliable system overall. I have over 340hrs on my '13 and it has only thrown two codes during its life (both same P1661 code). It's just a general code and all I needed to do was pull key and start over.

While the iBR assembly is not serviceable, the bushings must be changed periodically. You can find all the part numbers, just look at diagram and replace all bushings holding the gate/bucket and end links...basically any joint that pivots or acts as a guide. Also, don't forget the two large white nylon bushings located on top of bucket.

Lastly, if you ride in salt, make sure you spray/coat the black iBR DC motor with grease or heavy silicone spray. The motor is metal and will rust!!

+1
    Thanks for the helpful info, Sanfish. I thought the second gen IBR wasn't introduced until 2015 or '16.

Is is replacing these bushings a DIY job, or should I just have the dealer do it at the end of the season, the next time they see it?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by terminaldegree View Post
    Thanks for the helpful info, Sanfish. I thought the second gen IBR wasn't introduced until 2015 or '16.

Is is replacing these bushings a DIY job, or should I just have the dealer do it at the end of the season, the next time they see it?
    No, the 2016-up iBR is an entirely new and different design (what I call 3rd gen). Maybe not officially labeled as "2nd gen" iBR (2012-2015) but these iBR's have several mechanical and electrical changes from the first iBR's made (2010-2011).

About DIY job, I feel everything on the ski is DIY but that depends on your ability and confidence level. Some people can't or don't want to change their own oil & plugs when that is a super easy DIY and others like to micro-polish their crank between rides

To answer your question - yes.

+1
    I would like to hear from others that have had mechanical failures within the iBR assy.

+1
    Is the 1st & 2nd generation interchangeable? In other words can you install a 2012 - 2015 unit in a 2010 - 2011

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by EVN81 View Post
    Is the 1st & 2nd generation interchangeable? In other words can you install a 2012 - 2015 unit in a 2010 - 2011
    Not without work. The iBR shaft coming out hull on 1st gen is a square connection where the 2nd gen is partially round with serrations that mesh together into the iBR arm. The early models also have water cooling lines - which is an odd design.

+1
    My 1st gen is still working flawless, did not had any alarm in 4 years. But good to know that there is a possibility to upgrade....
    "With a little work"

+1
    My 2011 has 240 hours on IBR with zero issues.. *knock on wood* and I am not aware of maintenance i need to do on it.

+1
    I remember seeing an error message on ours maybe one time, years ago, but nothing since.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information