Sentimental GP1300R project... where to start?

Been lurking around for a bit, time to get serious about the project so I'm looking for some direction.

I have an 03 GP1300R that is a bit of a sentimental project. It was owned since almost new by a really good friend who's passed on. His family continued to use it until cyl 3 lost oil and destroyed most of the motor. They gave it to me because they knew I'd fix it up and get it back in the water.

The ski is otherwise in pretty decent shape with low hours.

Skirt broken off cyl 3:

Hairline crack in the case at the mounting surface:

I've called SBT and PWC engines and both say they won't accept these parts as rebuildable cores. Been watching classifieds off and on for a year now and haven't seen any complete motors come up.

Looks like my options are:

1) Buy a used cylinder and some used cases off eBay and then use those as cores to get a rebuild. Seems like the most expensive option.
    2) Send the cyl to Millenium Technologies and hope they can fix the skirt, and replate the set of cylinders. See if a local shop can weld up the cases. This is probably the cheapest option, but I'd worry about the integrity/longevity of the repairs.
    3) Keep watching classifieds for a complete engine. Probably would still want to do a top end rebuild on it at least while it's out, right?

- What is my best approach? I'm a good wrench, but this would be my first 2-stroke and first PWC. Can a local shop do the machine work and I can manage a rebuild myself if I can find the parts?

- What do you recommend I do about the crank? Seems to be solid, but I worry about what might be in the bearings given amount of piston fragments floating around the case.

- What else should I plan on doing to the ski while the motor is out?

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4510.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	409850   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4509.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	409851   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4415.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	409852   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4513.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	409853   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4514.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	409854   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4508.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	118.8 KB 
ID:	409855  

Last edited by gsea; 04-02-2017 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Duplicate photo

Certified welder should be able to fix the cylinder and case but it probably won't be cheap. Cylinder will still need to be replated though.

For the crank split the case and pull it out. Spin the bearings and check for smooth movement and no noise.

+1
    I've had many cases welded up. I prep them first with very thorough cleaning. Drill tiny hole at end of crack. Grind out a V groove into the crack. Remove all paint in that area. Sweat out any residual oil with heat then blast with brake cleaner, repeat. DON't spray any brake cleaner around your open flame!! The aluminum MUST be clean.

Check with US Chrome on the cylinders. They have great prices and they do nice work. I think they will also accept your core since you still have the piece.

May I suggest refinishing the whole exterior of the ski as a memorial to your friend. Maybe his favorite colors and some nice vinyl decals with his name and a favorite saying if he had one.

+1
    Consider finding a wrecked FXHO or VX and turn it into a 4-stroke conversion. It's actually less effort than rebuilding your motor and won't blow up again. See my thread below.

-Greg

5. +1 by:

Bumping this thread as I've found a couple options of no-core-required engines.

Both are rebuilt:

1) Has Nikasil-plated cylinders, but the case has been welded up and repaired.
    2) Has an undamaged case but sleeved pistons.

What is the collective wisdom here? More important to have a never-been-damaged case or plated vs sleeved cylinders?

Also, I'm toying with the idea of finding a new (06+ non-PV) motor instead. Is this a worthwhile pursuit and is it a direct replacement?

Couldnt you find a worn out cyl and half of a lower end on ebay and slap them on then send in for a core?

A crack in the lower end like that would make me want to rebuild the whole engine.

+1
    I would not worry about having to weld the case, unless there were severe damage. Don't think anyone accepts broken skirt cylinders as cores, but I may be wrong. I bought cylinders from USC for my 1200r, they were plated well, but were sandblasted very aggressively. Had to jb weld the pits smooth, then they were GTG. I think a set of 1200 cases will work, just plug the pulse nipples. Seen several lately for great bargains. For a non PV replacement, I think you have to swap the ecu also.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmxenbrett View Post
    Couldnt you find a worn out cyl and half of a lower end on ebay and slap them on then send in for a core?

A crack in the lower end like that would make me want to rebuild the whole engine.

That was my initial plan, but I'm finding few options for core parts that are reasonable $$$. Just as well off buying good parts and rebuilding myself from that standpoint. Would be different if it were a 1200. And yes, definitely rebuilding the whole thing, top to bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by butterbean_29512 View Post
    I would not worry about having to weld the case, unless there were severe damage. Don't think anyone accepts broken skirt cylinders as cores, but I may be wrong. I bought cylinders from USC for my 1200r, they were plated well, but were sandblasted very aggressively. Had to jb weld the pits smooth, then they were GTG. I think a set of 1200 cases will work, just plug the pulse nipples. Seen several lately for great bargains. For a non PV replacement, I think you have to swap the ecu also.
    Cases are not usable as is. it is cracked right at a bolt/mating surface between the tow halves, so it must be welded or junked.

Are you saying you just bought the exchange cylinders from USC?

Might have to go with 66V cases since they are much cheaper and easier to find.

Thread Information