Need pros help with stx15f no spark, fuel injectors not firing

I am waiting for a diagnostic cable for this 2004 stx15f as I have the ones for ultra and for six prong. I have checked out T.O.S (tip over) it ohms within spec. The owner had replaced cdi or box with good one and no change. It has new batt. I checked all grounds and kill switch, fuel pump comes on ,pressure is correct. Can a bad cam position sensor cause both ignition and fuel injectors not to fire,Or am I looking in wrong place ? I do mostly seadoo and Yamaha and Two stroke Kawasakis, as there are very few Kawas running around except for ultras and I don't see too many of those. The few stx 15f that I service are usually just maint. as they are so reliable except for fuel press.and regulators. and intercoolers, and fuel filter in tank plugging! Thanks for any help while I'm waiting for cable! HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!THANKS AGAIN IN ADVANCE

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjetskey View Post
    I am waiting for a diagnostic cable for this 2004 stx15f as I have the ones for ultra and for six prong. I have checked out T.O.S (tip over) it ohms within spec. The owner had replaced cdi or box with good one and no change. It has new batt. I checked all grounds and kill switch, fuel pump comes on ,pressure is correct. Can a bad cam position sensor cause both ignition and fuel injectors not to fire,Or am I looking in wrong place ? I do mostly seadoo and Yamaha and Two stroke Kawasakis, as there are very few Kawas running around except for ultras and I don't see too many of those. The few stx 15f that I service are usually just maint. as they are so reliable except for fuel press.and regulators. and intercoolers, and fuel filter in tank plugging! Thanks for any help while I'm waiting for cable! HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!THANKS AGAIN IN ADVANCE

put some thought into this for a moment.

how does the ignition know when to fire?
    how does the fuel injection when to fire?

I'd have a look at the cps for sure, since that feeds crank position information to the ecu.

you'll find me commenting elsewhere on the forum that it's a very common failure point on that model.

about $100

you might be getting something out of it, as I believe the fuel pump goes live when the cps signals the engine is turning

until you get the cable, it's the only place to go. Ohm values in the service manual, but a small wiggle on the CPS wire where it enters the plastic may get the engine to start

Thank you very much I meant the cps don't know why I said cam position sensor, The only fault showing is FI and #1 fuel injector and #4 fuel injector no active faults so I'm gonna change it anyway. Have a great day!!!

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjetskey View Post
    Thank you very much I meant the cps don't know why I said cam position sensor, The only fault showing is FI and #1 fuel injector and #4 fuel injector no active faults so I'm gonna change it anyway. Have a great day!!!
    A cps by any other just tells the eCU where'd the crank is for timing purposes come to think of it on the 15f it might be a cam sensor

When u get the cable we're all interested in your results

My results are just like with Yamaha ,I didn't need cable, the cam sensor bad . Thanks for everyones help. its much appreciated flat no reading on fluke it would have been so much easier if I could have just read cluster and seen the code it was throwing but can barely see the fi and when you put in dealer mode its unreadable. Thanks Again its always better to ask those who work with a particular brand and know its shortcomings. Thanks again gents!!!
    Last edited by mrjetskey; 04-11-2017 at 01:37 PM.

Thread Information