Blocked Water Outlet

I recently rebuilt a 2002 4 tec that was actually in pretty good condition. It had 155 hours on it.

one thing I found that I thought was a bit unusual was that the outlet pipe on the underside of the exhaust manifold was blocked solid with a sand like substance. I heated up the outlet pipe and unscrewed it and used a dental pick to get this substance out. The best description would be sand stone. I really had to scratch away at it to get it out. No amount of air or water would have shifted it

cant imagine what what effect this would have had on the exhaust cooling system.

has anyone else seen this?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Waters View Post
    I recently rebuilt a 2002 4 tec that was actually in pretty good condition. It had 155 hours on it.

one thing I found that I thought was a bit unusual was that the outlet pipe on the underside of the exhaust manifold was blocked solid with a sand like substance. I heated up the outlet pipe and unscrewed it and used a dental pick to get this substance out. The best description would be sand stone. I really had to scratch away at it to get it out. No amount of air or water would have shifted it

cant imagine what what effect this would have had on the exhaust cooling system.

has anyone else seen this?
    pic?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I see that all the time, hard water residue.

People cry to me that they flush every time

I told em unless you flush with avain or poland spring, you're basically using the same water in the lake, albeit with some shit added to it to make it safer to drink ( we have high natural arsenic around here and only an idiot drinks tap water without some serious extra filtering.

so here's the trick mix a cup of CLR to a gallon of water and inject that into the flush fitting after running the hose for a minute, let it sit and minute and then regular flush again.

I've seen some two strokes where the mineral build up got so bad that cooling was compromised and seizeures occured.

you also want to check the condition of your sacrificial anode (rideplate)

Sorry no pic. Best I can describe it is a plug of "sandstone" type material that was in the brass outlet and also extended into the exhaust manifold when I removed the brass outlet. Now amount of flushing or chemicals would have moved this but maybe preventative maintenance with something like clr would have prevented it from occurring.
    it must have had an effect on cooling particularly in the head because it completely blocked water flow.

Thread Information